Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Azzedine Alaïa Couturier Collectionneur, Palais Galleria

 

Monday morning I went to the preview at PALAIS GALLERIA of designer, Azzedine Alaïa Couturier Collectioneur. 

Alaïa was a passionate collector. 
It began in 1968 when Cristóbal Balenciaga's house closed, Alaïa was given fabrics and various pieces. 

So the pursuit and obsession begins. 

Alaïa collected more than 20,000 pieces documenting the talent of his predecessors. Mainbocher, Adrian, Claire McCardell (American designers). Alaïa didn’t want French museums to miss out on these names in their collections.
Not to forget
 Chanel, Lanvin, Elsa Schiaparelli, Madeleine Vionnet, Givenchy, Jean Patou, Christian Dior, but also Jean Paul Gaultier, Comme des Garçons, Alexander McQueen, Thierry Mugler & Yohji Yamamoto.

He was a pioneer in the preservation of fashion history.

In 2014, ten years ago,
Palais Galliera had an exhibit of Alaïa’s designs.

Now his personal collection is the focus. Every dress has a story. In 1980, Alaïa was in New York putting on a show for Bergdorfs Goodmans. He saw the retrospective exhibit at Brooklyn museum of Charles James (1906-1978) and was fascinated by the complexity of James’ unique patterns. 

Did you see
Phantom Thread? It was based somewhat on Charles James life.

A
uction houses, the directors of French and American museums were jealous of Alaïa, because he was willing to spend crazy amounts of money to acquire a dress. 

The day Alaïa signed his partnership with Prada, he bought a Paul Poiret 
(1879-1944) dress for 150,000€. Poiret’s creations freed women from the corset and were inspired by Empire designs.

Alaïa, as a very hands-on designer himself, didn’t want dresses from the past to be relegated to the ashcan.

It took his team five years to unpack, inventory and restore his collection after his death.

The history of fashion is encapsulated in these 140 pieces
 from Alaïa’s huge collection. If you’re a fashion lover ❤️ don’t miss this seminal exhibit at Palais Galliera on till January 29th. Maybe take a flashlight 🔦 

Going from riches to rags…fashion of another sort.

On Sunday, Solli and I met up at the weekend puce,
Porte de Vanves marché. 

Solli is full of good hunting tips, being a weekend regular shopper for her beautiful still lives. The first table at the puce is always overpriced. I was ready to flip over these kitchen canasters.

All the fleas are a good place to find old art books 📚 for a song 🎵 Solli found an old art book on Giuseppe Arcimboldo I could have used last Fall.

This Thursday, September 28, is the opening & slideshow of Solli’s exhibit at Nikon Plaza on rue Raspail. Do sign up (free) if you’re in Paris to attend nikonplazaparis. I
                         🍂 HAPPY FALL DEAR PBers 🍁


24 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:21 AM

    Thanks for posting this! We’ll be in Paris at the end of November and I can’t wait to see it (and Diorj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:26 AM

      A fabulous exhibit for all lovers of fashion ❤️👍

      Delete
  2. As a lover of fashion I enjoyed this post. Gorgeous gowns. The flea markets in Paris would be dangerous and I would need a companion to say, "you don't need that & how on earth will you get that home!!!" I have your Bonjour l'Automne water color on my bulletin board now. Love it and you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:30 AM

      Ah…so nice to hear Ga ❤️

      Delete
  3. Its was lovely meeting up and browsing through the markets ❤️
    I have to go and see the Alaia expo 😍
    Thanks a million for writing about my vernissage tomorrow, can’t wait yo seeing you there ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:29 AM

      So excited for you Solli
      ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:49 AM

    You have so many interesting and fun things to do! Not to mention the cafes! You are so lucky to be living the Paris life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:26 AM

      Keeping up cou,d have me running everyday somewhere or other.
      Yesterday I saw PSRFUMS D’ORIENT at Monde Arab - magical!
      At least that one is 5 minutes from my house 👍

      Delete
  5. Cynthia B8:05 AM

    Ooolala! This was the fashion palette cleanser I needed today! I wish I could see this exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:26 AM

      Please come to Paris !❤️
      You have till Janvier

      Delete
  6. Bonnie L8:16 AM

    Must put the Alaia exhibit on the calendar, it looks fabulous! I’m with you on those kitchen canisters. They are adorable! I don’t know how you resist such temptations living in Paris…it must be a daily struggle! Thank you for sharing your adventures. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:28 AM

      It is a daily struggle. Not kidding
      Hmmm…what did I resist today?
      BO AMI boulangerie was very crowded so easy to resist 🤸‍♂️

      Delete
  7. Have been exploring fashion myself the last couple of weeks, inspired by the 20s fashion of the Downton Abbey movie book I found at my library bookstore. We must be on the same fashion wave. Loved this post! (Also viewed some videos from V&A museum about fashion in their collection--one on a Chanel suit owned by Lauren Bacall.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:09 PM

      Here’s a new Coco Chanel documentary just out for you 👍
      https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8o4dmk

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:38 PM

      I did watch the documentary; it was long, but so interesting! Was surprised she loved visiting Dallas and Neiman Marcus! A complex being, certainly. Thanks for giving me this opportunity to learn more about Chanel!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous12:14 AM

      Yes they didn’t leave any stones unturned. She suffered many losses in her life for a woman of such great wealth and fortune.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:44 PM

    oh dear - two more exhibits to add to my list for Oct/Nov visit! I love Archimboldo and remember a super exhibit I saw a few years ago in Paris. One year the botanical garden in Atlanta, Ga. had an exhibit of four huge sculplture recreations of his four seasons heads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:24 AM

      I found the Arcimboldo sculptures by Philip Haas - Fabulous!
      https://vsemart.com/arcimboldo-sculptures-by-philip-haas/

      Delete
  9. I'm always smitten with those and other canisters too.My friend ..lived in the South of France..I have a set of porcelain ones of hers.I love them.On my windowsill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:04 AM

    I love your art and your blog and look forward to them all the time Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:05 AM

      Thank you Mary ❤️

      Delete
  11. What an interesting exhibition! All the best to Solli!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you