Friday, June 27, 2014

Balik Salmon, Prunier and the Little Print Dress

Even people wearing enormous gladiator boots need to get out once in a while.
 
I remembered Prunier was having an apero et salmon tasting last night. Last minute I decided to give it a go (buses 87 + the wonderful 84 again).
To 15, Place de Madeleine. If only I'd had the requisite little print dress to wear or the bod to wear it well.
 
Balik Salmon is Swiss though I assumed it must be Russian with a name like that.

 
It was in fact Russian and a favorite of the tzar but the special recipe for smoking was lost till the Swiss bought Balik 30 years ago.
 
Melt-in-your-mouth delicate and tres rafinee, it comes both smoked and nature.
 
With just a hint of dill on the smoked version.
 
Anything in Paris these days between two seeded buns is hot hot hot and Balik salmon tartar even more so. These are miniatures not full-size in case you were wondering.
A whole salmon why not?
 
Or huge swathes of what many consider the best salmon in the world.
 
I did not imbibe any of the lovely wines offered, just Badoit bubbly water. I'm wobbly enough without any outside help.
 
The requisite summer print dresses accessorizes with Michele's cardie
 
A storm was brewing. Cinderella, with her heavy boot, 'jumped' onto her pumpkin #84 to return home a toute suite.
 
A quick look of longing in Repetto's window while changing buses, even if the PT says ballerinas are Taboo forever. Lunch today with Jancie wearing, just by chance the requisite little print dress.
 
We ate a healthy pile of veggies at Merci, their excellent comptoire de salade (10-15€). The perfect plat/main to go out and eat a naughty dessert. Low and behold a divine and very covetous salmon-colored carrot 'sharpener'. Who knew? An absolute must-have for those who dream of pencil sharpeners.
 

26 comments:

  1. Great shots and it's good to see that you are getting about.
    The salmon looks great, but I think that mine would have to be cooked !
    The summer dresses look good, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. smoking is a kind of cooking/preserving....

      Delete
  2. Seeded buns? Voila! Beeg Mac!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!
      You got it. Very trendy now and not easy for them to figure out. Much talk about who has the best buns (no pun intened)

      Delete
  3. Looks and sounds terrific!
    You are an inspiration, jumping on and of busses as if your were not wearing a cast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aletha6:33 PM

    I’m very in to salads these days so Janice’s salad caught my eye. The picture shows a lot, but what’s underneath the veges ….lettuce, herbs? Are there nuts and figs with the beans? Was it an olive oil vinaigrette dressing? When you have the time . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3 diff salads on the plate. Nothing hidden beneath. A fennel, a beetroot , and a green bean with roasted hazelnuts. You go up and pick from 6 varieties.
    C'est comme ça.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those little dresses..ageless..timeless!
    We have been eating some lovely meal salads..on the deck..ahhh summer..in Paris..or QC.
    A gift.
    Hate to admit I have a similar carrot gadget:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That salmon! Rarely do I salivate so heartily for the non-sweet, but the salmon does it for me!
    I found the pencil sharpener pencil box on Amazon, mercy! All I really need to live is Amazon, Zappos, Starbucks and ice cream. Really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However did we exist before amazon???

      Delete
  8. Glad to see you are out & about, hopping on & off buses. that salmon looked delicious, one of my favourite summer meals, if I had the choice I would eat salmon everyday, smoked, poached, anyway. your salad lunch with Janice looked very appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last pregnancy I was obsessed with smoked salmon!!! I think I would have had my eyes popping out by your post! Thankfully this time around the craving is not as bad!!! Can read your post calmly ;-)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I would love salmon too if I didn't know what they do to farmed fish. But this is very fine quality salmon so no problem.

      Delete
  10. Lovely---the print dresses and the salads especially. What does one wear in the summer in Paris, if not the little print dresses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even think of leaving the house/maison.
      Hello shorts?
      Little faded denim jackets will always be in each year. Long skirts are in?!

      Delete
  11. Anonymous10:51 AM

    If I weren't so tired from no sleep last eve I would google the Euro versus dollar rate but isn't it about a third more? which makes that a very pricey salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 13$bucks. But it's organic/bio and excellent and a chichi place so yr paying for that too..lots of fashion types there.

      Delete
  12. How wonderfully delicious everything looks. So glad that the boot isn't slowing you down too much. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beverly2:13 PM

    Such fun to see Paris through your eyes and know what is going on!!!!
    Thanks so much. I love it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol,you are awesome! Broken leg or not,you manage to get to all the neat things more than the rest of us do (without broken bones!)
    This looked especially delicious!
    Love your photographs of rain about to fall.
    So Paris and well remember that from our time there. Makes me feel like I'm enjoying it all over again.
    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a beautiful post. Apero, salmon tasting and little summer dresses are right up my alley. But wait. No Repettos? Ever???? Oh My.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess repettos are OK once in a while but peep here wear them day and nite and probably to bed too

      Delete
  16. Summer dresses are not quite up my alley cousin Carol, but as usual your posts are filled with something tasty for everyone. Thanks for your comment on my recent post, and sooo sorry to hear about your break. Isn't that number two experienced while traipsing around your beloved France?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill
      No that was Tuscany - a broken ankle while gazing at grape leaves in Montepulciano

      Delete
  17. Do I need a little print dress in September?

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you