Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Salon du Livre 2014

Sunday I made it to the 4-day annual Salon du Livre held in massive pavilion #1 at Porte de Versailles - a yearly reminder of how much the French love books.

I was captivated by a special exhibition of the work of French women illustrators.
 
I wasn't alone.
 
This new comic book/bandes dessignée, Jeune Fille en Dior written and illustrated by Annie Goetzinger can be found all over town in the best bookstores.
 
The detailed, fluid illustrations perfectly capture the creation of Dior's 'New Look'. The tiny pulled-in waistlines and full swingy skirts just after the war must have been a breath of fresh air for women the world over who had suffered such deprivation during1939-1945.
 
The main character, Clara, becomes a model at Dior. You see the backroom goings on at the top couture maison pre-show.

The book is in the much loved French format of a BD or bandes dessinée/comic book but for adults. I hope they translate this one for us.
 
Watch a short film (in French) of the artist, Annie Goetzinger at work discussing her intent to capture a lost time. Remember the fabulous Miss Dior exhibit at the Grand Palais? This book dovetails perfectly filling in behind-the-scene blanks on 20, Ave Montaigne at Maison Dior
 
Flammarion has a new book out on French icon Marguerite Duras
 
Kids 18 & under get in free at the Salon, so Sundays in particular are always overrun with kidlets. Adults pay 10€ for a 4-day entry.
 
So many childrens books.
 
So many children.
 
Avidly reading where ever you walk. It's a delight. And building future readers as well.
 
Tintin is always present. Here his red jeep on display.
 
This is for the public. Not a trade-only show. Every book on display is for sale.
 
Of course there is the Square Culinaire Tons and tons of cookbooks in every format. Does the yellow Trish Deseine book look familiar?
 
So many how-tos
And the chefs on hand who wrote them.
 
The essential accompaniment to book browsing - macarons.
 
I got very excited by, Cafe Society, which came out in 2010 in the US.
 
The illustrations/collages by the Baron de Cabrol from his scrapbook (1948) are fantastic.
 
He perfectly recorded the ambience of the times during 1920s - 60s.
 
The photography too is magnificent. Wallace Simpson looking soigné.
 
Elsa Schiaparelli wearing her famous shoe-hat beside a Dali sculpture.
 
Charming & simple elegant sketches from the Baron's scrapbook in Cafe Societé couldn't
 
Remind me of illustrations by Jean-Philippe Delhomme now on display poster-size in boulevard Saint Germain for Louis Vuitton. What do you think?
 

22 comments:

  1. Georgia Anne1:40 AM

    Both books look divine and like must-haves!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wondrous Salon du Livre that is, at least as seen through your eyes! Thank you. :-)

    Love that the chefs were "on hand" and a handy assortment of macarons, too.

    Sunny greetings from Vienna,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone that can be is on hand..
      Lots of authors signing
      Chefs demonstrating
      Intellectuals pontificating on improvised radio stations setups
      Calligraphers writing letters etc.

      Delete
  3. Susan S.7:59 AM

    It looks like a terrific Sunday family outing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Switchboard9:32 AM

    I couldn’t believe it, but when I went to my mailbox yesterday, both of your envelopes were there!

    That must be some kind of record for the Postal Service! I love them! –especially the gorgeous umbrellas,

    dresses, and Cat umbrella stand. The shells and wild strawberries are lovely too! Thanks for enclosing the

    miniature envelope made from the Paris map, and the little bits & pieces from the shops.

    It’s nice to see Bear getting out and about with you on your errands. I imagine that the chicken timer might not be

    the most exciting companion for him to be stuck at home with.

    The books look wonderful, and I would be tempted to buy them, just for the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...that show is right up my alley...I would love it.
    those cookbooks are amazing...let's face it..everything is...love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:15 AM

    So true about French love of books ... I stayed at the Hotel Bel Ami last November and when I wandered down teeny rue Bonaparte lost count of the bookshops after only a few blocks! I espcially admire the fortitude in preserving independent booksellers, I am afraid that we have not done so well with that here in the US. Best, anne-craig

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Dior painting makes me wonder if that's what Grace Kelly wore in "Rear Window". Certainly it was Dior's look! I could probably find a book to tell me - if I went to the Salon du Livre!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This certainly looks like my cup of tea! Oh, that Cafe Society book looks divine. All the fashion sketches... sigh. For being totally not into fashion myself, I sure love fashion sketches. No one really LOOKS like those drawings, but how we wish we did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a cup of tea would make the perfect companion for attending this show. Unfortunately not readily available...

      Delete
  10. I just got two beautiful March editions at the same time. One to 311 Orchid Ave ( correct) one to 311 Orchard Ave (incorrect) and one without a stamp. You must be a VIP at La Poste because they mail a letter for you without un timbre. C'est magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous illustrations - right to Tin Tin :)
    Is the opening watercolor your's?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am bound and determined to be in Paris one of these days for the Salon du Livre! Unfortunately it is at the very end of our season when we are running as fast as we can to stay in the same place! Thanks for the vicarious enjoyment, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post went amiss too..:(
    A post after my own heart..Friday after school we will bring our 2 oldest boys to Renaud-Bray to pick a book.. for recent report cards..
    They too have soo many books.I cannot wait to see what they choose.
    When I went ..it reminded me of being a child and the wonder of beautiful books..
    What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Salon du livre, 2015 & moi...I hope...Of course I loved the children's part the best & it warmed my heart to see those little ones enjoying the books...as you know, I would so love to add a book by Paris Breakfasts to my collection...

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS Have you gone to the librarie Pippa yet, in the 5th, rue du Sommerard? They have most of Lizzie Napoli's books & other pretty books too from independent publishers.
    http://www.pippa.fr/-Librairie-
    En plus, an art galery downstairs...

    ReplyDelete
  16. A salon du livre with macarons. What's better?

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fabulous- books and macarons. What more do you need? That Jeune Fille en Dior looks amazing- I hope it does get translated for us. That Trish Deseine book does indeed look familiar- I did order one last year- I've flipped through it, but need to read it properly now that I have another trip in the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello and thanks for sharing your words and art--I thoroughly enjoy both.

    Your description of "Jeune Fille en Dior" had me searching Paris bookstores for the last 2 Saturdays. No luck. I visited at least 8 stores and only one stocked it and they could not find their only copy. I visited a variety of types of book stores and avoided those filled only tables of books at cut rates as well as the used sellers.

    Any suggestions? I'm in Paris at least once/month with my next visit in early May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you try Galignani on rue de Rivoli?
      Definitely any bande dessigne book store should have it. Try Eyrolles onBd St-Germain.
      Bonne chance

      Delete
  19. If you have time Amazon.fr could send it to you while here.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you