Thursday, September 21, 2023

Material de Cuisine Letter

 

My mad pursuit of robins has switched to ducks 🦆 Especially since I was told there are NO actual robins in Paris.

I’ve always been nutz ❤️ about the jaunty duck, with the red checkered torchon/dish towel in E.Dehillerin’s kitchen supply shop window. 

One duck in a red checked scarf is all it took 
to convince me…

September’s Paris letter
 would be Paris’ cookery shops. 

Eugène
 de Hillerin opened his superb shop in 1820.

They moved 
to 18-20 rue Coquillière in 1890 with its famous green facade.
 

This historic shop is a must visit in Paris whether you buy a copper pot or just browse.

Get one of their biz cards & receive 
a 10% discount at Au Pied de Cochon just down the street.

Considering Paris is Restaurant Central with so many of the best chefs in the world, their restaurant supply shops have to be exemplary.

All the cook shops are located conveniently on rue Montmartre in the 1st arrondissement near rue Montorgueil (*not in Montmartre!) and near the former site of Les Halles, chief food supplier to chefs (before it moved to Rungis).
 
On Tuesday I went wandering in the area. Next stop was MORA 1814 at 13, rue Montmartre. Mora is where pastry author Jill Colonna gets her gear. She gave me a grand tourages ago.

Chefs & kitchen staff carry around their own tools of the trade (knives, whips etc.) to work, so they need big carryall bags. I couldn’t resist Mora’s mid-size black bag (13” x 17” - 1,10€!) So chic non?

Next I popped into A.SIMON at #48.

Very professional. I found nice small white dishes perfect for mixing watercolor paint.You’ll see chefs testing knives. Good place to meet a cute chef 👨‍🍳 non?

Further down at #92, don’t miss the best cookbook shop in Paris. Gourmande is where top chefs present their latest cookbooks. Benoit Castel had a book soirée last Saturday with tastings. Anyone can show up.

Get Librairie Gourmande’s newsletter to keep up. 
A great place for gifts, fun browsing & inspiration. 

                              🍴Bonne Thursday PBers 🍴 
Two tired top chefs, relax at a nearby cafe, exhausted from shopping 🥄 


35 comments:

  1. Linda Karber3:06 AM

    Carol, your post always brings a smile to my face. Growing up we had a red checked tablecloth for our patio table of the same fabric as the jaunty duck, with the red checkered torchon/dish towel in E.Dehillerin’s kitchen supply window. Thank you for taking us on your adventures. I love them and your beautiful watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:17 AM

      Thank you. It’s an interesting challenge for me ❤️

      Delete
  2. This post brought back a lot of memories of my many visits to E. Dehillerin in search of something to use in my kitchen. I bought a great salt and pepper grinder one year which I still use! My sister and I would often dine at Pied de Cochon. Great French onion soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:16 AM

      Dehillerin is like a museum - so much history there ❤️🥄🍴

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6:22 AM

    Best post ever for us foodies. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:15 AM

      The shops are really fun to explore - even stuff for artists 👍

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:36 AM

    A. Simon....my personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:14 AM

      Impressive! And they have weekend demos there etc.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:14 AM

    ADORABLE❣️ 👏🏻😍👍🏻🥰 Dorra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:07 AM

    I covet the copper rooster in at Dehillerin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:48 AM

      I think everyone does

      Delete
  7. Anonymous8:47 AM

    Where is Ping? Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:56 AM

      Ah…Ping, the lost suckling by Marjorie Flack, definitely a favorite book childhood of mine.
      Ping was of course always late and getting lost = an ADHD duckie 🦆

      Delete
  8. Anonymous9:06 AM

    You’re so amazing! Everywhere you go, I follow to try and see Paris through your curious eyes! Your wit just tips the scales! Thanks for your jaunts around the city! I can’t wait until next month to visit just a few of your spots! 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:56 AM

      Big Merci
      ❤️❤️❤️

      Delete
  9. Of course I loved E.Dehillerin:) No surprise..One of the things I bought ..small and el cheapette..was the yellow iconic dough cutter.WHERE IS IT? :(:(:(:(Still bothers me lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:53 AM

      Of course you would love it Monique ❤️
      I spotted something tiny & yellow but resisted…

      Delete
  10. Bonnie L9:44 AM

    Your letter is fabulous! That is such a great area for ‘cuisine’ shopping. You can always find a gentleman who speaks English at Dehillerin. Great for silpats and every size of whisk imaginable. I purchased copper canele molds at A Simon…or was it at Mora?? Coveting your Mora tote!
    Pied de Cochon for resting your shopping weary pieds with a bowl of the best onion soups in Paris. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:52 AM

      They are all nicely in walking distance of each other too

      Delete
  11. Anonymous10:22 AM

    I’m guessing that retired chefs become food tasters? Jeanette S..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:51 AM

      Chefs NEVER retire !
      Jacques Pepin is still at it on Youtube for gawds sake 🥄

      Delete
  12. What a good idea -- the little white dishes for mixing paint. Do show them to us sometime! Next time in Paris I must go to Dehellrin -- how that never happened before I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:50 AM

      I will show toute suite Jeanie,
      Paint mixes best on porcelain- they are in art shops. You can use a simple dinnerware plate. Lots odpf people do 👍

      Delete
  13. Anonymous11:57 AM

    Spent 3 months in Paris and missed all of this! Perfect post! I now know exactly what to do on my 2 day layover! Can’t wait for your darling map! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:06 PM

      🥰 l’m so happy to hear that Cindy
      Finally something really useful!!
      I think unless yr in the business most travelers aren’t aware of this enclave of kitchen supplies.

      Delete
  14. Anonymous2:03 PM

    This was fun. I would love to tour the copper ware. Fabulous Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:31 PM

      All the beautiful copper pots in these shops is dazzling

      Delete
  15. I love your Jaunty Duck!! Thank you for the link to the e-newsletter. I signed up for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:48 PM

    I went to culinary school week in Paris several years ago and at the end of class the teacher gave us a list of places for 'gear' which was so interesting to browse about looking at E300+ copper pans and pots so heavy one would need another suitcase or two! I just purchased some cookies and kitchen towels to bring back. This is a super post that brings back a lot of memories! I pinched myself to see if it was a dream when I was there..first time of the Metro, trying to read signs, getting lost in a maze of streets, and wanting to stay in France. That wasn't practical, of course but a nice thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:45 AM

      ❤️Love the description of your French experience ☺️

      Delete
  17. Anonymous5:25 PM

    Don’t forget G. Detout, the Aladdin’s Cave of baking supplies & foodstuffs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:46 AM

      Impossible of course! It is included in the letter 💌 on Etsy 👏

      Delete
  18. Anonymous8:20 AM

    Carol, I loved this post. I visited E. Dehillerin for the first time in the spring as part of my homage to Julia Child but I didn't know about rue Montmartre. A street I hope to visit next time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:37 AM

      You definitely need the map 🗺️ !

      Delete
  19. Anonymous3:37 AM

    Your motivational blog posts are like a daily dose of inspiration. Your uplifting messages and stories of resilience remind us that we can overcome any obstacle. Keep spreading the positivity!" timothée

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you