Thursday, January 26, 2023

On the roads of Samarkand, l’Institute du Monde Arabe

 

On Tuesday I finally went to see On The Roads to Samarkand at Institute du Monde Arabe

Which is exactly a 5-minute walk from my house.

Isn’t it always like that…
What is closest by, you overlook. 
Yet this is an absolutely exquisite exhibition. 
Definitely one of Paris’ Don’t Miss exhibitions
But so easily overlooked. 
People tend to naturally plan visits to museums in central Paris like the Louvre, Orsay, Petit Palais, the Pompidou. 
Or the small artist’s museums. The ethnic museums like Monde Arabe often get overlooked (January’s map letter coming soon). 
But back to Samarkand 
The wall of old photographs is haunting as you go down to the first floor.
Yaffa Assoulineinitiated and curated the show at du Monde Arabe. 
Look how the rhythmic fabric patterns coordinate perfectly with the Uzbek architecture.
 
Decorative painted saddles displayed against the arid sands of Uzbekistan. Art historian 
Yannick Lintz wrote: “Uzbekistan finds itself on the crossroads between the East and the West. Since ancient times, the conquests of Alexander the Great—after the Persians Darius and Xerxes—as well as the influence of the great neighbors west of China and India, for centuries, permeated the religions, the economy and the culture of this country, leaving behind a history of human dialogue and absolutely fascinating art." Somewhere to make us dream. 
How did I finally get to this gorgeous exhibit so close to my house? 
By recommending PBer Carolyn eat pomegranate seeds daily (1 tablespoon) to avoid Winter colds and flu. 
I saw this poster in Annecy marché. I’ve been eating seeds (arils) daily for eons = no flu or colds.
Skip the bottled juice unless you squeeze it yourself (you can in Franprix in Paris! 3,99€). When I was in Teheran, eons ago, you could buy fresh pom juice on any street corner for a song.
Food photographer Solli saw our pictures and got inspired to make beautiful pomegranate cake photos with pom seeds! The mini poms lower right is mine, from Lafayette Gourmand. Supposedly you can grow a pomegranate tree inside your house. It only takes 6-7 years and not too much watering.
It was pomegranates that got me to the exhibit.
I was sure I would see them since poms are native to Central Asia. I did.
I finished my visit in the museum cafe with thé à la menthe & a cornet cookie. The marvelous Samarkand exhibit is on through 4 June, so we both have a chance to visit. And don’t miss visiting my Etsy shop please ❤️

29 comments:

  1. We saw! I wondered how heavy the gold embroidered coats were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:11 PM

      They looked Very heavy.

      Delete
  2. What a great exhibition, love the embroidery. I know, going to things close to your house doesn’t always make it easier to leave the house and do something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:10 PM

      Exactly Kirra…yet once you are outside, it’s easy as pie. Are you a Taurus too? Homebodies

      Delete
  3. Your photographs of the beautiful exhibit were wonderful. One can almost feel the textures. I have been to the Institut du Monde Arabe & the building itself is stunning.
    What else can pomegranate seeds encourage you to do?🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:04 PM

      Hurray Ga 👏 The Jean Nouvel building is extraordinary.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:53 AM

    I studied these textiles in University years ago. Brings back memories. Also, I've been growing a dwarf pomegranate in a pot for about 5 years now. It's very happy in my home, in the summer, I put it out on the patio & it blooms & grows little tiny pomegranates. They say they are edible, but they don't have much taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:01 PM

      Oh so happy to hear! Perhaps they look like the minis in Lafayette Gourmand? I never saw any so petite

      Delete
    2. They are about the size of a thumb. Very cute!

      Delete
  5. Wow, what an exhibition! Thanks for sharing your experience and photos, I must go and see it!
    Never underestimate the power of pomegranate seeds :-) I know you have been eating them for years and thats why you are such a Superwoman!
    Such a beautiful collage you made with my photos <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:06 PM

      But Your photos are so beautiful Solli ! It was easy to collage them.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:19 AM

    The patterns! I have fallen into a deep embroidery hole myself and must now acquire a whole new set of references! Merci a dieu that you saw this! jeanette sclar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:07 PM

      Ah Jeanette…you’re always up to some exciting new venture. And Merci Dieu there were no dreaded RABBITS 🐇

      Delete
  7. Anonymous9:41 AM

    Stunning fabrics! Beautiful exhibit. Must visit l’Institute du Monde Arabe. 🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fabulous exhibit. I love that building, too, and how it changes with the light. Wonderful colors and patterns. I wish it was staying longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:08 PM

      Come in May to Paris! The best time ❤️

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12:00 PM

    Gorgeous blog!!! AWC Catering

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:25 PM

    Fabulous!!!
    I am due for a visit this
    coming July… hopefully. Lois Flowers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:17 PM

    I love pommies. I eat them daily on oatmeal and pancakes, etc. I eat more than 1tbl. Lol. They grow here in Phoenix. I have a few in the neighborhood and I go in their yards and help myself. Lol. I also get frozen or fresh and freeze them as I buy at least 6 lbs at a time. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:18 PM

      Wowwow wow Lynne!
      You win the pomegranate jackpot!!
      I am gonna start eating more pommies
      Very impressive 👍

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:01 AM

      I smother my breakfasts with them and the tiny wild blueberries together. I take them in a baggy when I go out for breakfast along with my own granola. Only once I was told I couldn’t bring my own food in. LoL Lynne

      Delete
  12. Not much beats homemade pomegranate jelly. My trees produced the second year, died, were resurrected but have not produced more than flowers since then. This has to be my very favorite PB post. Thank you!

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:56 AM

      Please share yr recipe 🙏 I read you have to polinate the flowers…whatever that is?😵‍💫

      Delete
  13. Anonymous12:56 AM

    Those photos are so wonderful! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:56 AM

      Especially your jar photo 👏👏👏

      Delete
  14. Anonymous1:06 AM

    I saw your map and you are close. I am glad you brought this area up. I keep your blogs incase I know someone going to Paris I send it to them. This one is just fabulous. LC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6:53 PM

    Oh Carol, I just don't understand the poms. Had never had one until I bought one about 4 years ago and Googled what to do with it. I messed with that thing half the afternoon and had quite a mess (plus stained shirt)! I have to be doing something wrong, as people love them but I saw no reason to even open it. Then you said, don't chew, swallow? Hardly any flavor either. Did I just get a dud Pom? Didn't feel as if I'd even had anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:59 AM

      Not at all..they are a bit of a mystery at first. I cut off the top 1st. No seeds there. Then quarter it. The seeds are delicious but maybe a new taste for you? Sweet & tart at the same time. It’s s worth the trouble. Maybe I will write more. The seeds should be ripe but not necessarily bright red…sometimes pinky.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:07 AM

      https://youtu.be/h8qiJqZNmRA

      Delete

Love hearing from you