Sunday, August 02, 2020

Paris Train Station Map

Parisians are rushing to Paris' train stations if they've not already left town.


Everyone has a wheelie suitcase + baby buggy in tow.

And a pup or two in their arms. I went last weekend to Gare de Lyon in the 12th arrondissement. It seemed a good idea for the July Summer map.

And nice to be a calm observer rather than a harried traveler. There are 6 major train stations in Paris, all built around 1860s to 1900s with art nouveau details.

Inside they've been mostly gutted to become complete shopping malls. Gare de Lyon has the most posh shops from Alain Ducasse chocolates and Pierre Hermé macarons in the Provence Hall 2.

Each train station goes to a specific region exclusively. Gare du Nord heads towards Amsterdam, Brussels, the UK (the Eurostar), along with LILLECalais. And so on. As a Paris tourist, unless you're taking a trip you don't give much thought to train stations, but they're wonderful microcosms of French regions.


Yesterday I went to Gare St. Lazare in the 8th looking for train schedules as envelope fillers. They are no longer available because of the virus.


Still you can practically can smell the Normandy briny Coast. The enticing video slide shows make you want to buy a ticket instantly. TER local trains are much cheaper and of course take longer than TGV trains headed south. Still they are very comfortable.


The interior train shed or verriere is pretty much as it was


Back when Monet decided to paint his first ever series of 10 paintings.

I miss traveling around France as much as you do. There are many places right here in Paris I haven't seen in 5 months! I hope to travel by the end of the month or September fingers crossed 🤞What's your favorite Paris train station? Meanwhile the pool 🏊🏼‍♀️ And parks are very nice. And I have clouds to work on. The July map is 💌 in the the poste 📮. Stay well dear PBers🐻 ❤️

30 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Map, Carol! I love Paris train stations...they still convey a sense of adventure...so atmospheric. Sigh...15€ to Deauville. I do hope that you get away for a little vacay by the sea soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great. Its almost liketaking a trip just to visit one...but stress-free.
      You canget Alsacian cheesy pretzels ay Gare de l'Est...sigh

      Delete
    2. Okay...your next map should be “Best Regional Foods at les Gares de Paris”. 🥨 😋

      Delete
    3. You want to keep me inside the train stations!
      And I want to TRAVEL !!!

      Delete
  2. Bonelle12:44 AM

    your drawings of les gares themselves are wonderful and the travelers scurrying about with their belongings...adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorrance12:45 AM

    Love the photos...that little white dog looks like a seasoned traveler...not happy but he knows the drill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry L7:28 AM

    i love your: Paris Train Station Map---i finally 'get' them all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying to devine where you will go:) Lovely map and she wears her striped pantalons very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gare de Lyon

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great map! Paris trains are terribly romantic feeling---my favorite is coming into Gare de Nord in the early evening. The sign says "Paris Nord" and the adventure begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its true Jeanne, maybe because they show up in so many romantic movies...
      And they are grand airy spaces.

      Delete
  8. Gare de Lyon sure looks empty compared to when I took a train from there to Switzerland last fall. The only other Paris train station I've traveled through is Gare de Nord (e.g. Eurostar from/to London; trains to Bruxelles/Bruges). Gare de Lyon was definitely nicer. Don't blame you for wanting to take a train somewhere. I won't be traveling anywhere for a very long time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends when you go. That was Hall 2 to the south
      The other area was busier but as I said most Parisians have flown the coop.
      They dont hang around at vacation time.

      Delete
  9. Love the stations, especially Gare de Lyon, they have such an old-timey feel. I well remember my first experience at Gare de Lyon in 1968 trying to find the place to get our Rail passes activated, overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it used to be daunting. Now the stations are much more user friendly. Its Relatively easy to get things done.

      Delete
  10. What a fun map! I love all the busy people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When in Europe as a college student, the train stations appealed to my sense of adventure and romance. Thanks for the reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. B Ford1:05 PM

    ha! my bags are packed
    Too bad france won’t let me in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your map. How I love taking trains in France which means how I love French train stations! Do people have to stay distanced & wear masks on buses, subways & trains? I won't be taking public transport for awhile...I miss taking the train from Portland to Boston, never mind in France! It's nice to see Paris again. The virus must be pretty under control there. In US it's a mess, even though we are lucky here in sparsely populated Maine. Thanks for visiting my blog...I'm enjoying my close to home....while staying in I get to create...And then there are days when I long to do things I used to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course people are following the rules on transportation. There is no alternative. I wish they were as diligent in the street.Z

      Delete
  14. Bonnie P3:01 PM

    Carol, just wondering why you planted/painted Gare de L’Est to the west of Gare du Nord?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a question of space. None of them are accurate as far as that goes.

      Delete
    2. Carole3:10 PM

      All those delightful people you drew....none wear masks? Don't need to? Horrible here in Us how many do no.t Your fan
      PS Adore your sketches!

      Delete
    3. Believe me i thought about it, but its a timeless map, not a covid map.
      Of course no one was in the stations without a mask

      Delete
  15. So happy I found your blog again! So wonderful to see your drawings and pictures of Paris! The women look so well dressed even during a heat wave; my excuse that its too hot doesn't cut it.
    I wish I could eat the wonderful pastries. The last best chocolate croissants I ate were in Nice and a little town in California. No luck in the intervening years. Even the better pastry in Hawaii are stingy with the chocolate. Glad you are enjoying Paris. Hope you all are handling the pandemic better than the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting R and the comparitive analysis of pain au chocolat. I Love Nice and would go back there on any excuse at all...

      Delete
  16. I miss Paris so much & your watercolors just brighten my day. I love your post today. My first time on the metro & I got lost and ended up at Gare Lazare! The station bldg was so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I would be sooo scared
      I'm a wuss :))
      Once I was going to Giverny and ended up at Gare de Lyon! Fortunately the metro connects them so I made my train at St Lazare...luck of the draw...they do all kinda look alike inside at least...

      Delete
  17. Jean Gabin4:11 AM

    Oooh, I love train stations! ��

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christiane9:09 PM

    Yes, their train stations are really interesting. Let’s go explore!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you