Monday, June 16, 2014

Paris 1900


You have till 19 August to see the Paris 1900 at the Petit Palais
 
'The Petit Palais was built for the 1900 Universal Exhibition, like its neighbour the Grand Palais, on avenue Winston Churchill. It became a museum in 1902. Designed by Charles Girault, it is based on a trapezium shape and is made up of four wings around a semi-circular garden bordered by a richly decorated peristyle. The architect achieved a successful blend of traditional and modern architecture which is evident in the natural flow of visitors around the building and in the bold openings he created onto the Champs-Elysées gardens and inner courtyard garden'.
 
It's good I went early in April and forgot to tell you about it. The inside of the Petit Palais
 
Reflects the paintings in the exhibit.
 
Wonderful painted scenes
 
Of people who came to see the Grand Exposition, the Exposition Universelle.
 
In 1900
 
If only we still looked like this.
 
Never mind. Isadora Duncan danced in Paris. Or is this Loë Fuller twilling?
 
The 1900s produced lots of sculptures. Quite a few twirlers.
 
The parasol...an essential for everyday outings. 
 
And of course the Cancan and the Moulin Rouge
 
The term Parisiennes was created.
What to wear...so many guides even then
.
Black in Paris was de rigueur even then. Plus Paris rain.
 
The riding habit along the Champs-Elysees 
 
Quite moderne.
 
Ah the fabulous frills, buttons and bows
 
Hats were essential. This one's seen better days no doubt.
 
Where are the milliners of yesteryear? 
 
And the garment workers in the back rooms looking quite jolly..
 
Well there's loads I haven't shown you. Just go to the Petit Palais and pretend you're in Paris 1900. It isn't hard.
 

21 comments:

  1. I was in Paris May 8 - 13 but I didn't get to see this, really regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I JUST booked my ticket for this - arrive in Paris next week for a few days, then back again early July - cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was one of the expos on my list that we're now going to miss! Life looks so elegant, I love that time period!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should have given the viewers costumes to fit in appropriately !!

      Delete
    2. I agree. It's the most elegant of Paris. The best of the best eras. I would have had a very lacy parasol.

      Delete
  4. I'd give an arm and a leg (maybe I shouldn't say that to you, oh Princess-Foot-in-Cast!) to see this exhibit! It looks divine and glad you got to visit before your friendly faux foot came along. Sending wistful sighs and get well wishes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love vintage, so this is a great post for me...love the posters and paintings and old photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much more I didn't show...
      maybe another post?
      oui o non?

      Delete
  6. Just got your June letter which I love! So so beautiful. Steve noticed it right away too on the dining room table when he came home and said how lovely it is. The artwork, colors, writing, stamping, cute insert, very very pretty as is your new post.
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 1900 blog post is great... may go Thurs night...
    great you had material in reserve!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! Do another post if you have material. Love the painting of Paris in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, please, Carol. I would love to see more of this fantastic exhibit through your eyes. That must have been quite a time in Paris. Ahh, but I hear your voice telling me that right now is also a fine time.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michael10:46 AM

    I LIKE your observations with photos and illustrations. Everyday Paris
    interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thoroughly enjoyed this--the wonderful paintings, artifacts and all those warm colors--all through your artist's eye!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this! It's just the time period of my mysteries and I'm so frustrated that I can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol.you have totally captured our imaginations with this beautiful post!
    Thank You!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the way you narrated the pictures. Looks like a fabulous show. I very much enjoy this blog. Thank You. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah! the joys of living in Paris .... I've just come home and now I want to go back, soooo..... much to see. Thank you for letting us tag along with you to Le-Petit-Palais Carol, a delightful peek into the 1900's

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi,, i like to visit this site,, have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post. Would have loved to see this show in person. You find more fun things to do in Paris.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you