Friday, July 28, 2006

Wayne Thiebaud, Glacée

This ink drawing came from the out-of-print Wayne Thiebaud sketchbook. If you want to paint desserts you better look at Thiebaud. He's master of dessert still lifes - his images of ice cream, cakes, pies, candy are the best.Thiebaud paints with thick brilliant oil color and strong shadow shapes against a white ground. Geometry plays a big part in his paintings: spheres, cubes, triangles (as it does in most of the top Paris pastry chefs creations, but more about that later)Cezanne said, if you can draw a cube, a sphere, a pyramid...you can draw anything. And desserts tend to take the form of strong abstract geometric shapes more than steaks, chops or mashed potatos...or broccoli.
Matcha Trio, watercolor, 10 1/2 x 7 1/2"

Since I love painting round things anyway, cups, saucers etc., I picked ice cream "dixie" cups this time. Not really a big hardship.
Dixie Couple, watercolor, 10 1/2 x 7 1/2"
I thought I'd stick with green tea flavor, since there's a nice Japanese store in the neighborhood, Family Market on 29-15 Broadway.
Melting Matcha, watercolor, 12 x 10"
They melted really fast in this heat, so I had to eat them quickly. Spoiled food and all that..Course in my rush, I forgot to mix up that special yellowy-greyish green tea color first.
After a day of painting I ran to MOMA to catch the DADA show. In the steamy garden they sell dixie cups of il laboratorio del gelato. There was no Matcha flavor so I had to settle for Dark Chocolate. This has to be the BEST STUFF ON THE PLANET! You can also get it on 95 Orchard st.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:00 AM

    lovely paintings! We could almost try to dip our fingers in the pots painted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:56 AM

    I like Wayne Thibaud, though, after a while, it's much of a muchness (his paintings, I mean, but would love to see that sketchbook!) Hey, though, YOU are on a wonderful roll---look how supple, fluid, colorful, texturey, well-composed and generally delicieux are these images! Really super stuff, CGPB. And your yesterday was very envy-inducing ;D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Bea - You have one of the best eyes out there in food-blogdom so I'm very flattered :) Your pictures never disappoint.

    Laura - the Thiebaud sketchbook is a wonder-very much about process. I don't know whether it's all the net encouragement or eating all this ice cream or both but I do think I'm breaking out for new more interesting territory. It helps too, to love what you're painting..I did these 3 btwn 6-8am this morning. Having to leave for work creates a sense of urgency. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:42 PM

    Thiebaud's cakes look so real I almost stuck my finger in the icing! It seems he uses "chalk" rather than paints????

    ReplyDelete
  5. J there are lots of additives you can use to create an "impasto" effect (very thick textured paint). You could use Champagne chalk or other "fillers"..Bologna chalk, Kaolin, even sand if you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:06 AM

    I just finished breakfast, and now I'm tempted to eat an ice cream.....but I'll have to wait a couple of hours stil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had it...wanting to try it very badly now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only just discovered your blog - amazing - I am going to put you in my rss reader striaght away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY!
    Thank you SAM
    I am a fan of B&P !
    Hmmm...I MUST get this RSS thing going PDQ -no more hesitating...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those! the colours! great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:52 PM

    I like your research...
    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you