Sunday, August 02, 2026

Tale of a Rococo Fan,

 

Marie sent me an email of a blurry photo scrap of a fan 🪭 she once admired at an auction.

Being an ardent collector of antique fans 🪭 

Marie asked, I would like you to draw ✍️ in this style, 

A CUSTOM Watercolor of a 
man and lady sitting on a bench. 

And Pastel colors just as close to this detail off a fan 🪭 that I have loved ❤️ forever. 

Of course I said YES! 

I decided to tackle the woman first, 

Thinking she would be easier. Ha!

Always one to jump into the deep end and think about consequences later. How else did I end up to Paris?

I started looking at 18th century women…

Definitely not a piece of cake 🍰 to draw ✍️ Yes, we in Marie-Antoinette’s era.

I did a deep dive into Rococo style, an ornate 18th-century artistic movement that originated in Paris, France 🇫🇷 

Defined by curving natural forms, soft pastel colors, and playful, light-hearted themes
.

Waldemar Januszczak is a good person to consult on the subject of Rococo.

At this point I decided the original green wooden bench would not do 👎

Better something more scrolly…

Ta da! 🎉 When some parts of a picture aren’t working, forgetaboutit and move on to something else 👍 

Then I went looking for a good 18th century gent. What if he was playing the mandolin 🎵 

I ended up with this rather mundane chap.

One mustn’t over-complicate things.

Time to put the various elements together 

Next step - the colored 🎨 sketch ✍️ 

I saw this Fragonard painting 🖼️ and loved the lap dog 🐶 

It turns out Marie has a Maltese named, Rose 🌹 

What a long shaggy dog story!

🎉 The Final Ta Da 🎉 

A side note..this morning I went to NIWA, a boulangerie with Rococo decor at 56, rue Vaneau.

Their croissants 🥐 are very crunchy 👍  

To boot, there is an exhibition on at Musee des Arts Decoratifs - A DAY IN THE 18th CENTURY.

The objects shown are extraordinary. 
But they are lit as if by candle 🕯️ light. 
So dark.
The gift shop 

Is much better lit.
I bought this teeny, tiny hand fan 🪭 because it has a hook 🪝 for a ribbon and I am always losing them.
Let me know if you want a Custom Watercolor done or something else ☺️



12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:08 AM

    I assume you've been to the musee de l'eventail. we went years ago and loved it but i hear it's now moved outside paris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:24 AM

      I know I visited a long time ago before I moved to Paris. Sadly it closed in 2021.
      https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mus%C3%A9e_de_l%27%C3%89ventail

      Delete
  2. Amazing work, Carol. And so much research! Thanks so much for sharing your process! Whew!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:59 AM

      THANK YOU! I do love ❤️ research 🔬 although this one at times seemed to get away from me.
      The secret is to put the unsatisfactory sketches by the bed 🛏️
      Next day you will wake up with a solution ( draw ✍️ the sofa 🛋️).

      Delete
  3. Hats off to you for accepting the challenge. Best for us to see your process, thanks for sharing. I am sure Marie was thrilled and appreciative. Beautiful, fun, and a bit whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:00 AM

      Very kind of you Peggy to appreciate the ‘blood, sweat and tears’ 😭 that sometimes goes into solving a problem

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:06 AM

    This was fascinating, thank you for sharing your process. You are always full of beautiful surprises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:15 AM

      It is the project that is full of surprises.
      I have a greater appreciation for ROCOCO /Rocaille style now ❤️

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:18 AM

    I love the pastel colors and rococo swirls. . . Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Sigh . . . so beautiful, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:16 PM

    What a beautiful painting Carol. Marie must be thrilled and I love that you added the Maltese dog. So much work and research went into this painting and I truly was fascinated with the process of making it. Love all the photos. -Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:22 PM

    Aren’t we the luckiest people to be following you! This edition of your blog was mesmerizing. You brought us into your world of inspiration, implementation and follow through. Thank you from the bottom of our admiring hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you