Sunday, April 09, 2023

Easter at Laduree, Paris

 

NYC Louise asked me, “Do the French have an Easter Parade?” No way.

Solli and others asked me, “what was I doing for Easter?” 

Nothing planned as usual. 

Saturday morning around 9:30…I got a bright idea

Why not run to
Laduree on rue Royale for an Easter breakfast/p’tit dej & a macaron?

This turned out to be a good idea and not jam-packed yet.

They have a basic Ladurée breakfast at 21€. Or you could spring for the weekend Brunch de Pacques at 65€. 

My basic P’tit déjeuner 

Almost 16 years ago I went for Petit Dej’ at Ladurée in June, 2007! They changed their china, had house jam and better looking viennoisereie. Almost the same. It cost 17€ back then.

It get very busy. Always best to go early

I was busy setting up still life shots 

To paint later…

Staff came running over to replace the pitcher protector! 😂

Do not miss going upstairs to the Loo/toilette 👍 You can get up close and personal with their pastries on display. Yum Yum 🤤 Was a hidden camera 🎥 watching?

Plus view their private leopard 🐆 dining room 

Coming down the stairs you’ll get a perfect view of the dining room. Fun, fun, fun 🤸🏾‍♀️

We can thank
 Louis-Ernest Ladurée who opened a bakery in 1862 at 16 rue Royale.

Do look up ⬆️ at the cherub frescos decorated by 

Belle Époque poster artist Jules Cheret.

Laduree’s Easter windows this year are full of faux roses + pretty flowered boxes.

And their limited edition ‘Bunny 🐰 Lala’

Try to buy Bunny Lala & you will be out of luck. The words ‘Definitive Rupture’ bring instant sense of loss.

One of the conundrums for an American living in Paris is…when the French
 run out of something. They do NOT restock. They do NOT rush to make more. Maybe the planned obsolescence creates panic. The Must Haves🤔 In France if you 😵‍💫 look for viennoisserie 🥐 in the afternoon. Forgetaboutit 

Naturalement some people will not take NO for an answer.
 
Some people ran 🏃‍♂️ all over town looking for Bunny Lala

Some people looked in the Louvre Carousel Laduree. Nada

Some people just happened to be near rue Jacob

We looked inside

Ta da! A lone white rabbit lurked near the cash register.
Mission accomplished 🤸🏾‍♀️ even if I don’t care much for white chocolate.

Did I say we stopped in Astier de Villate and found this must-have swan pencil sharpener?

Swan and Bunny Lala are waiting to be painted. More to come.
      🐣🐰😊Have a Wonderful Easter/Holiday PBers 😊🐰 🐣 

38 comments:

  1. Bonnie L7:09 AM

    Were you Mata Hari in a previous life, Carol? You don’t miss a thing. 🕵🏻 Lucky for us. Glad you had a special Easter breakfast, and found your chocolate bunny after an epic quest! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:20 AM

      No! I was Sherlock Holmes! Mata Hari did not chase down rabbits 🐇 Holmes may have

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:32 AM

      Mata Hari: the Naked Spy
      I don’t think so
      You can watch it on Youtube
      https://youtu.be/le9mTHNI8TE

      Delete
  2. Happy Easter! I love to see menus and will enlarge those on your post. That may be an idea for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:23 AM

      What’s the idea Sally? I have illustrated menu covers for The Russian Tearoom. They may be using one of mine this weekend.

      Delete
  3. Happy Easter Carol🐇 the day before breakfast was a good idea. Who doesn’t love Lauren! I have been lucky to have visited them all. Happy that you were able to find LaLa Bunny & the swan pencil sharpener is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:21 AM

      Thank you Ga. you never know where a breakfast will take you..

      Delete
  4. Obviously I meant Lauduree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:21 AM

      How about Laundree 😂

      Delete
  5. Happy Easter! Thank you for the lovely and festive post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Do the different colors of Bunny LaLa have different flavors? The mint green makes me wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:10 AM

    Five quid for a plastic sharpener? Expensive, no? Jane G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:11 AM

      The swan 🦢 is from Poland. ASTIER DE VILLATTE IS not known for it’s bargains. It’s the best reference I have unless I go outside and look at the Seine.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:17 AM

      I stand corrected! Ebay has it for 12€,
      https://www.ebay.fr/itm/115724372176

      Delete
    3. Anonymous9:22 AM

      Wrong again
      That one was made by upper-crust Stabilo (Swiss)

      Delete
  8. Dear Carol, What a beautiful, happy post! Thank you for taking me on a tour of fabulous places! I like Laduree’s old china better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:29 AM

      Me too. Maybe everyone was taking it home - too pretty 😊

      Delete
  9. Anonymous9:55 AM

    Love all your postings, always. The Easter Post is especially sweet. Thank You for sharing Paris with all of us. Happiest Easter Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Happy Easter to you, dear Carol !
    You’re adorable! Thanks so much for the Pain Perdu link - the video is ready but just awaiting the bakery to give the green light to publish it! Jill -Mad about macarons

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I should have taken a photo for you yesterday of the gorgeous pastries in the cafe at the Legion of Honor Art Museum in San Francisco. At $8 per piece, I was not tempted to purchase--but oo, la la were they beautiful! My coffee was in a utilitarian white mug--not very artistic--but holds more coffee than a dainty cup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:44 PM

      Hmmm…that’s way higher than Paris prices for breakfast pastries 🤔

      Delete
  12. Anonymous12:15 PM

    Unfortunately, the petit de'j at Laduree is far from the same as it used to be. Vienoisseries are now awful. No more of that beautiful croissant aux noix with the thin glaze in your picture. Pretty sad when the patrons speak French but the waitresses do not. My breakfast go-to in Paris for over 25 years but no longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:48 PM

      Shhh…I must agree with you on the pastries. But the old-world atmosphere and decor is worth it for me. Angelina has an excellent breakfast. Try it next time. Quiet too.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous12:43 PM

    Loved this. I would do that too. I went on a search for marzipan hot crossed buns. Found every wonderful thing for my Easter meal along the way. Except the marzipan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:49 PM

      Hmm…I dont think that’s French 🤔

      Delete
  14. Happy Easter to you, Carol! Merci beaucoup for brightening up my day (clouds and no sun!) I love the swan pencil sharpener as I love to use pencils. Maybe next visit to Paris I will find one to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Easter to you and dear Bear. Your breakfast looks delicious and I am so glad someone found Lala the bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:37 PM

    Thanks for sharing your life with us. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a great idea! Looks like a tasty breakfast in a lovely place. Congratulations on finding the Lala bunny in the end! Also the swan pencil sharpener is very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:29 AM

      I think I’ll do more tasty breakfasts in lovely places! Bonne idée Kirra ☕️🫖

      Delete
    2. Please do, going out for breakfast can be more relaxed than going out for lunch or dinner sometimes.

      Delete
  18. Bunny Lala is pretty darned cute -- so glad you found her. And this next time I have to get to Laudaree. SO gorgeous. I like your Easter day! (And no strikes or demonstrations?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:45 PM

      NEVER on Easter! Everyone is eating chocolate 🍫

      Delete
  19. Anonymous11:46 PM

    I Love your Bunny story ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:56 PM

    This post makes me want to be back over there! I especially want some more of that hot chocolate. I had it at Angelina and it was delicious. I love all of your little purchases! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous9:03 PM

    I loved this post! I discovered Jules Cheret by accident when a nice book was traded in at my family's used bookstore. I was fascinated with his personal history, his beautiful artwork, and the role he played in forging a path for commercial artworks. Until I learned of his work, I thought another favorite of mine, Toulouse-Lautrec, got most of the credit for legitimizing advertising artwork.
    The other thing I loved was a reply you made about doing artwork for the Russian Tea Room in NYC. I have been in a Russian/Ukrainian/Slavic folk orchestra for 41 years in Atlanta, Ga. and have known several people who have played at the Russian Tea Room . One guy who is in our orchestra in Atlanta was actually the band leader for a few years when he lived in New York! Small world, non?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9:13 PM

    I really loved this post! I discovered Jules Cheret a few years ago when someone traded in a nice book of his work at my family's used bookstore. His personal history, his artwork, and his contribution to making advertising art seen as legitimate art fascinated me. Before I stumbled onto his work, I thought Toulouse-Lautrec got most of the credit for promoting commercial art.
    I also was delighted by your mentioning the Russian Tea Room .... I have played in a Russian/Ukrainian/Slavic folk orchestra in Atlanta, Ga. for 42 years and have known several people who have played there over the years. One of our players
    was the band leader for several years while he lived in NYC! Small world, non?

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you