Tuesday, November 28, 2017

November = Calendrier de l'Advent

November in Paris is Advent time. You have one month to run around, fall in love and choose an Advent calendar for December. If you love doll houses you'll love Le calendrier de l'Avent. I thought it was a religious thing. Not at all. Its about gifting yourself chocolate and adorable miniature gifts.
Some Paris shops  like papeterie Marie Tournelle already looks like an Advent calendar.
Marie's shop has plenty of Advent postcards
And Advent houses you can fill yourself annually with goodies. In case you forgot an Advent calendar has 24 windows or openings. From December 1st - 24th you open a window and enjoy a gift or bonbon. In my opinion this is trial by fire. Who has the supreme patience to eat just one candy a day? I do not. Never mind. It's a fun concept.
Paris' oldest bonbon shop, La Mere de Famille looks like an Advent calendar waiting to happen.
In the past they have done that. This year for their 50th anniversary, the famed French artist, Sempé created their candy box/calendar. These sell out fast so run grab one.
Last year, enthralled, I bought Angelina's calendar. FYI Its the same design this year. This would make such a nice doll house-style Avent calendar.
Instead it opens like a book. The candies inside were not thrilling I'm sad to report. Rather plain chocolate disks and wafer biscuits, but the packaging is lovely indeed.
Chapon is repeating last year's design but I'll bet the goodies inside are très riche like their chocolates.
French cosmetic companies take full advantage of the Advent calendar.
A perfect opp to offer irresistable mini versions of perfumes and cosmetics. Yum Yum
I decided to stick with just chocolate for the December Paris map letter. Henri Le Roux, famous for creating caramel au beurre salé on 24, rue des Martyrs told me they do not stop selling their Advent bonbon boxes at the end of November. Hooray! In fact if they still have any, you can still get one on December 31st! This is great news.
Down the street at 9, rue des Martyrs I found a Provence-themed Advent box at Maison Bremond 1830.
Their box is a treasure chest of typical Provencal treats like nougat, calisson, candied almonds, biscuits and flavored vinegars and olive oils. Wow!
They kindly gave me their box to test. I ran home and immediately tested everything except the oils and vinegars. Why wait till December 1st? Why wait at all. I would never pass the marshmallow test.
Time to sketch out the December Paris map. I thought I would have a chocolate border...
No space. And a good thing when I think of the chocolates I would have to eat to get it right.
For Noël or whatever you want to call it, I'm offering on Etsy a Paris map special. 6 previous maps plus a new gift card. Take a look.
Thanks for reading PB. If you enjoyed this newsletter, forward to a friend. 
You can receive Parisbreakfast letters, maps, watercolors in your mailbox. 
More Paris videos on my INSTAGRAM
Cheers PBers!

20 comments:

  1. Carolyn I7:22 AM

    Looking Great!
    Can't wait to get mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one! So perfect.I only saw the l'Occitane one when in France..charmed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L'Occitane is always fun and sells out fast!

      Delete
    2. I think it was 49 euros..ouch was right..worth it..but you know my dollar..

      Delete
    3. L'Occitane has two different ones this year. I have had one of theirs in the past. Love the map & would love a chocolate calendar.

      Delete
  3. These are fabulous, Carol. I wouldn't know how to choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Price can help with decidions...some of these are almost 40-50€
      Ouch

      Delete
  4. r garlen10:39 AM

    Always so interesting to be part of your paintings...and France.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen H11:15 AM

    tres belle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clarity Artists7:58 PM

    We love the holidays and all that you gift us with throughout the year. Thank you for your generous eye on Paris and all things beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn S8:51 PM

    I absolutely love these. Have always had an advent calendar since I was a child and often I made my own for the family once I had children. Your choices are wonderful and I'm sure bear loves them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was kind of a down morning but your work made me smile/ thank you/ Larry

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has to be my favorite PB post ever!!! Just love all the advent calendars, but the Angelina one is my favorite. I am trying t watch my shopping when Debbie and I come next week but I feel compelled to bring one home. Love you illustrations also, they are just wonderful as always! Hope we can meet up for thé or a glass of wine while we're in the city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get the Maison Bremond 1830 calendar!
      The best IMHO❤️

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Excellent! I see it is behind Maison Georges Larnicol, on our list for a stop for Kouignettes! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I would love one of these calendars! Unfortunately I think the chocolate would melt if you left them there in our summer Christmas heat. Will have to get one when I'm next in Paris in winter time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol, I have not visited your blog in some time. I love seeing the advent calendars. I will be in Paris for a week around Christmas. I have wanted to visit for 20 years and this winter is it! I cannot wait to sip the chocolate chaud at Angelina and to see all the pretty sites!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Advent Calendars are SO delightful! French design really shines in these. Maison Bremond’s is tempting me with their sweets and savories. ❤️ Loving your Paris Map...it is beautiful...very festive!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you