Sunday, July 16, 2023

Les Pavés de Paris

One of our thumbnail class assignments (No.3) was go outside, randomly look and then draw✏️ whatever we see

I painted the pavé/ cobblestones in my street.

They are already thumbnail shaped…kind of

There are a lot of cobblestone streets all over Paris. The Romans first invented cobblestone streets. 

During the reign of Philip II (1179–1223), Paris’ streets were paved. 

Paved, pavement = pavé 
Old French pavement, from the verb paver +‎ -ment, based on Latin pavimentum (“a hard surface, a pounded surface”).

Own your own iconic cobblestone of Paris pavement. Sometimes Paris tourist office boutique, inside Hotel de Ville, sells pavé for around 9€, though I doubt they do mail order📮 

They weigh up to 6 pounds.

Weighing in much less (though you might not) are pavés chocolats at La Maison d’Isabelle. Available only on Tuesdays (market day at Mutualité Maubert) or you could miss out - a limited edition 👍

A hunk of French 🇫🇷 boeuf is called a ‘pavé’

So is a squarish hunk of saumon.

Clever chocolatier Michel Chaudun created the best chocolate pavés in mini size 

And a full size hunk of chocolate.

As a 40th anniversary homage, an emblem of 

The student Mai 68 uprising in Paris.

short explanation video in French (there are many on Youtube)

I learned the granite blocks come from Bretagne!

There are French songs you can sing between bites of your pavé chocolat viennoiserie or ganache cube…

 Chocolatier Patrick Roger  created his version of the Mai 68 pavé to celebrate his birthday. It looks more realistic, is
 granite-like & costs a bundle (79€)

Yesterday at Musee d’Art Moderne while looking for Sonia Delaunay I found a complete book of her husband, Robert Delaunay on la Tour Eiffel!

He drew ✏️ many Eiffel Tower idea thumbnails 

I set up my granite pavé still life (mine found in my street)

And got painting with 3 Paris icons included.
When I got home these Parisians, tourists, whatever were sitting on the curb by the cobblestones enjoying their Berthillon 
                              Bon Dimanche PBers 


38 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:56 AM

    Hmmm. I think I have to have a pavé in my home. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:32 AM

    Interesting post, Carol. Love historical comments and Paris has a bunch of hidden historical secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Novel idea, thumbnails. Is there an online course you are taking? Love the Musee d’ Art Moderne and the Delaunays. Merci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:16 AM

      Jerie - google Tansy Hargan
      She has a lot of 2 week courses at various times
      Very interesting 👍

      Delete
  4. Fantastic inspiration for your thumbnails! Once again you taught me something I did not know…the history of the pave. You are so much fun. You put so much thought into your posts. Can’t tell you how much I look forward to them and I will never again take the ordinary pave for granted🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:58 AM

    So interesting! I have a pave' from the streets of Saratoga Springs ny where I live..unearthed when street was resurfaced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pave jewelry. Thanks for the word history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:28 AM

      What is pavé jewelry? Like a diamond cut jewel…

      Delete
  7. Bonnie L7:58 AM

    It’s no wonder some Roman roads still exist…those are very hefty stones! Would love to schlepp two home to use as bookends. I’ll first need to reinforce my pockets to avoid overweight baggage fees!

    Pavés make perfect thumbnails…but they’re even better in your watercolor with macarons. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:19 AM

    Comme un soixant-huitard je vous dites Brava! Les paves de rue des Ecoles nous disent le meme! Je souviens bien 1968

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:53 AM

      Excellent 👍👏
      C’est en croyable !

      Delete
  9. LOve old streets and they last forever:):): Great washes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! More information I didn't know I needed! This is so interesting--how iconic and influential these paves are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:29 AM

    I broke my humerus bone on cobblestones….
    Stepping on the edge of the 18” wide sidewalk in dark shadow….
    I tipped over….
    A bad association but I love your. “Cobblenails” Lois Bender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:00 AM

      “Cobble-Nails” 😂

      Delete
  12. Anonymous9:31 AM

    Love Love, Love Sonia Delaunay…..
    Your Etymology of pavé is very lateral thinking…..
    Nice!!! B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:09 AM

      I hadda look that up B.
      Random entry idea generation
      The thinker chooses an object at random, or a noun from a dictionary and associates it with the area they are thinking about.
      Edward De Bono exemplifies this through the randomly-chosen word, "nose", being applied to an office photocopier, leading to the idea that the copier could produce a lavender smell when it was low on paper.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateral_thinking

      Delete
  13. Albertt R Diehl9:45 AM

    The best Paves in Paris are clearly those in Michel Chaudun's shop. My family and I have been enjoying the paves for more than 40 years. We never visit Paris with a stop Michel Chaudun's fabulous shop,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:03 AM

      I have only tasted a little sample 😟
      I’m going back for tiny box 👍

      Delete
  14. Carol you are amazing the inspiration you get--love this one--and I want to get my own cobblestone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:11 AM

      Thanks LuLu
      The pavé are a real pain to lug around
      Start lifting weights

      Delete
  15. Anonymous10:51 AM

    As always, you make me smile while I learn something new. This was very interesting and I will look at cobblestones, pave , and chocolate squares
    in an entirely different way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:53 AM

      Making you smile is always the objective at PB 😊

      Delete
  16. I don't think I would want a real pave in my luggage - maybe a chocolate one would do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. sukicart2:55 PM

    Another very interesting history lesson - and you make itmuch more interesting than just picking up a book. Thanks, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:09 PM

      Thanks Suki ❤️ I would love to put it all in a book 📕

      Delete
  18. Anonymous3:10 PM

    How about ice cream shaped and favored like pavées? Jean Gabin

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous3:13 PM

    A Pavewich Jean Gabin
    Like those old-fashioned square ice cream sandwiches 👏🤸‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Adeline got the design contract for her husband, Hector Guimard for the synagogue dans la Rue Pavée. JANE
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/meet-the-designer-of-the-fanciful-subway-entrances-to-the-paris-metro-180981369/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Adrien7:17 PM

    Fascinating! I love the look of pave's, but they are hard on les pieds! Especially high heels lol I'm impressed you carried one all the way from la rue a votre chambre 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:11 PM

      I went up in the elevator
      Pas grand chose ☺️

      Delete
  22. Anonymous8:46 PM

    I love the steak — and the entire post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:11 PM

      👍🤸‍♂️👏

      Delete
  23. Anonymous10:10 PM

    Love this today.
    The pastry looks very tasty.
    Love the info and tidbits of history Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous10:17 PM

    I want a pave of chocolate!!
    Forget the stone and beef Anabel

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I'll pass on bringing home an actual paving stone and load up on the pastries instead!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous4:51 PM

    Love this whole post like all the others. Idea from today's comments: doing thumbnails of people's shoes worn walking the paves or France anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you