Saturday, July 08, 2023

July is Happy Cat Month Letter

 

Cat  month is not until September according to the CATalyst CouncilFor me it falls in July. It did last year too.

With all the cup class ☕️ painting lately, I told Bonnie I was going to do a pretty cup letter of Paris. She said  GREAT 👍

Then I switched to sketching Luxembourg gardens. 
Then I switched back to teacups ☕️ 
Drawing sailboats ⛵️ on ponds got too tricky…

A week or so ago I went to catch the Pastel exhibit at musée d’Orsay before it closed and found out they had a cat drawing exhibition on the 5th floor call Accro-chat-age (accroché means addicted, passionate about).

I assumed everyone in the elevator/l'ascenseur was headed up to the 5th floor to see the cats 🐈‍⬛ 
I assumed wrong.
Everyone looked at me oddly when I said, Chats? 
Then I tried CATS? 
Then I made mewing noises and pretend paws. Still no response. What an idiot! 
The 5th floor is where you must take a Selfie in front of the Big clock/le grand horloge. The museum was formerly a train station built in 1810 by Victor Laloux. During the Second World War, Orsay station became a parcel shipping center to prisoners, then a reception center for prisoners during the Liberation. It was only in 1977 that the President of the Republic Valéry Giscard d'Estaing made the decision to build a museum there that would utilize the station’s carcass as a base. The official decision to build the Musée d'Orsay was in 1977 It was 9 years later that Successor President François Mitterrand inaugurated the brand new museum.

The 5th floor is where Impressionnistes paintings are stashed. An absolute must-see for ALL musée d’Orsay attendees & tourists
. It is crowded & none of them are there to see the cats.

The cat exhibit, was lurking in the back in a tiny room.

I heard a man say, “What is this? 

Just cats? Get me outta here! Where are the van Goghs?” 
I was happy as a clam.

Looking at a doodle of a pile cups, I thought I saw a cat’s head in a pencil ✏️ smudge. 

Et voila! A ‘Paris cats tea party’ letter.

Off I went to various tea salons to do cup research 🔬 

Including newly opened afternoon tea at Le Grand Colbert, 

Where I ate most of their divine
Paris-Brest

I can highly recommend their Paris-Brest

The perfect dessert to eat at the moment since the Tour de France is going on as you read this. 

The round pastry, in the form of a wheel, was created in 1910 by Louis Durand, pâtissier of 
Maisons-Laffitte to commemorate the Paris–Brest–Paris bicycle race he had initiated in 1891 can now found all over France. Paris Letter research can be tough at times.


Subscribe to the PARIS LETTERS for 6 or 12 months and receive an original watercolor BONUS cat bookmark!

I saw this PINK ice cream chariot thing by Samaritaine and had to add it. They have croissant milk shakes whatever that is?!

It’s going to be hot today in Paris
☕️ 🐈‍⬛ 💋 Bon Weekend à tous dear PBers 💋 🐈‍⬛ ☕️

18 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:04 AM

    elevator-- l'ascenseur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:46 AM

      So kind of you to correct me ☺️

      Delete
  2. Bonnie L6:23 AM

    How lovely of you to take us along with you to the D’Orsay. The women swooning in front of the Renoir perfectly mirror my emotions. The beauty is sometimes overwhelming.

    It is a great strategy, upon entering, to go directly up to the 5th floor. You may have some time alone with the Impressionist masterpieces before the hordes ascendi! A favorite memory is turning a corner to find a group of very young schoolchildren quietly sitting on the floor sketching Degas’ ballerina. ❤️

    Your cats are adorable. Having tea is always a good idea, especially with a Paris-Brest! Love the tower of cups! How do you come up with an endless supply of creative ideas for your letters/maps month after month?! 👩🏻‍🎨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:50 AM

      Those same schoolchildren were sketching Degas intensely as I walked by!

      Delete
  3. Your post was full of surprises. I expected to see cats at Tour Eiffel and then wham they having a tea party! That book mark is so cute. I have been to the d’Orsay but did not know it’s history. Thank you for that. It’s hard to watch the Tour de France here unless I want to get up in the middle of the night. I only caught the very first leg when the began in Spain. I enjoy it seeing the French country side. Stay cool❤️🗼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:38 AM

      I actually went to musee d’Orsay for a comic book convention before ut transformed into tge museum we know so well today - it was an amazing space.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:46 AM

    Wonderful post, Carol! It has it all…tea, pastry, beautiful art, Tour de France! I envy the ‘research’ you need to do. Dorra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:47 AM

    That bookmark is adorable! I hope you get the chance to revisit the Luxembourg pond. Your sketches are fabulous; the painter at the easel, the sailboat rental cart, the ducks, the fishermen! SO good. I would love to see that finished. RL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:17 AM

      I need to go a lot to Luxembourg!! ⛵️

      Delete
  6. Oh my! Cats, d'Orsay, Paris Brest. This post it ticking all my boxes! Love the cats (of course!) and seeing the d'Orsay brought back many memories. I knew a bit of that history but certainly not all so thanks for that. The Paris-Brest brought back memories, too -- of actually making one. If you have a chance pop over to my place and this link about how we made our own Paris Brest pastry -- a big one -- in honor of the race! https://themarmeladegypsy.blogspot.com/2013/05/paris-brest.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:48 AM

      Thank you for the link Jeanie
      BRAVO for your courage & sense of adventure 👏
      It helps to have a backup team

      Delete
  7. sukicart1:12 PM

    I love your cat tea party, the d'Orsay, Luxembourg gardens, and everything else in today's post. Stay cool as I see it's 90 F and in Paris that's really hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:18 AM

      The outer shutters are closed and the windows locking in the morning cool air 🤞☺️

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:26 AM

    Merciii ! En plus votre carte géographique est géniale ! Talentueuse, j’adore les dessins, les couleurs et l’humour👍💛💛💛 MADO Paris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:34 PM

    I DIDN’T HAVE A CHANCE TO LOOK AT YOUR POST UNTIL LATE LAST NIGHT! LAUGHED MY HEAD OFF!!! MEOWING IN THE MUSEE D’ORSAY!!!!! WHAT A CHARACTER. IT SEEMS TO ME YOU ARE MADE UP OF SO MANY DIFFERENT PARTS!!! A ONE OF A KIND. WHAT KIND OF A “HISTORIAN” MEOWS IN THE MUSEUM!!! THANKS! CARLA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:35 PM

      Haha Only you & my niece noticed that !😸

      Delete
  10. Anonymous6:36 PM

    musée d’Orsay was my favorite!! I even stayed at the hotel d'Orsay.... after working at the Norton
    Museum for 12 years and falling in love with impressionism as soon as I stepped into the d'Orsay
    I got teary!! Giverny was also a dream!!! Thank you for sharing as always Carol... wonderful memories!! NJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:58 PM

      You’re welcome
      So many nice memories Normajean!

      Delete

Love hearing from you