Monday, April 24, 2023

Bright, Shiny things, Vide Grenier

 

Yesterday Solli_food & I went to the Vide Grenier at Mutualité Maubert. We didn’t care it was drizzling…better chance for bargains 👍 

Me, I was looking for a shiny, silver pitcher to paint like the one at
 Ladurée a few weeks ago.

Dream 😴 on Carol 🙏😂

Photo by Solli-food
Solli is always looking for kitchen utensils for her beautiful photography still lives.

We are always on the lookout for each other…
“Hey, quick Look at this Solli!” etc.😂

These pretty Quimper faience plates from Brittany weren’t right for either of us…

Solli was browsing old French postcards. The vender came running over, took them out of her hand and demonstrated how we were supposed to view at them! 
Puts you right off buying anything 😟

Meanwhile I spotted the perfect pitcher 🤸‍♂️ La la la la la

I pulled it out out for a better look…YES! 😋 
I asked the vender “Combien/how much?” 
She replied, “C’est l’ensemble. Quatre-vingts pour tous” 
😟 No way did I want all 3 pieces. Nor did I want to pay 80€ (!)
The vender was adamant, not to be swayed.

We gave up and moved on…but the wheels were turning 🧠 
The bank was nearby…what if I offer her 60€? I had the feeling it was a no-go. You can tell if someone is flexible or not.

I spotted a nice blue cup & saucer. Pitter-pat ❤️
“How much?” “Dix euros” Oh 😟 
Under the table, in a cardboard box 📦  was a darling straw basket 🧺 with a lacy cover tied on it. 
Perfect for Solli and only 3€. 
Solli said she’d think about it. 
Impulsive me, I’d have bought it immediatement. 
What if someone else came along?

I got to the vide grenier first and bought Solli a chocolate ‘Pavé’ at boulangerie Maison d’Isabelle
When she arrived, she said,”I’ll save it for when I get home” 
What?? 
Ha! I caught her nibbling on it later.

We wandered further down the street to the few straggly tables, with not much cover from the drizzle = bargain territory.

When you see stuff jumbled in cardboard boxes 📦 under the table, stuff that hasn’t made it onto the display, you know you’re in luck 🍀

When you see beautiful shiny things lined up in perfect rows, you better have pockets lined with gold.

Inside a box I found on a goldmine of  silvery pitchers & teapots 🤸‍♂️ 
I asked the guy, “How much for the little pitcher?”
He said, “3 €”
And how much for the others? 
5€ & 5€
“How much for all three?”
“20 €”  
Whatttt? 
“OK, OK 10€ for the lot, ma petite fille”, he said 
😂 🤸‍♂️🥂🍾
Vide Greniers can be a lot of fun 👍 

We went back for Solli’s basket 🧺 
I offered the vender 10€ for the blue cup and the basket. Nothing doing. 
She said,“It’s vintage” 
Everything at the Vide Grenier is ‘vintage’ ! 

We went back to look at the 1st little pitcher…
Just for comparative analysis. You know how it is…

As I was picking up my newly-bought pitcher, a dealer, from the next table, came running over, shouting and grabbed it away! He thought I was stealing something off the table
The original vender was no where to be seen of course. 
Solli was busy looking at silk scarves. 
She turned and saw me with this big guy playing ‘tug o’ war’ over the silver pitcher!! 
SOS!
🙏 Solli ran over and saved the day! 
She explained in her excellent French, I had already bought the pitcher. Whew! 
He was about to make a citizen’s arrest 👮‍♀️ 
What a long shaggy dog 🐕 story 
My bright, shiny  things are waiting to be painted.

              ❤️  ❤️ ❤️ BONNNE MONDAY PBers ❤️ ❤️ ❤️


31 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:13 AM

    Félicitations on finding the pitcher! Those Quimper plates are tempting, as well. How were the prices on what you two found? Bon printemps!🌸🪻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:45 AM

      Prices are always better when there’s drizzle. Look for the junkier table setups & cardboard boxes 📦 UNDER the tables 👍

      Delete
  2. What a dramatic end to the markets, glad you got your purchases! Total win on finding the set of three for ten euros. I do like the blue tea cup and saucer too. Don’t think I could have waited to eat a chocolate pastry either! Merci for the rainy day in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:24 AM

      Ahhh…you are welcome KIRRA ❤️ I do have a little buyer’s regret I didn’t get the cup ☕️😥

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:25 AM

      Bit there are more Vide Greniers next weekend 👏👏👏

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:12 AM

    it was great seeing you yesterday and browsing through the brocante together ❤ I still can't believe that man tried to take that teapot from you!! 😳😅😅 S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a good friend in Soli…shopping in the rain & coming to your aide. Glad you found your pitchers and they are very nice, each one different. I like Quimper, I have a few place settings. What is the difference between a brocante and Vide Greniers? 🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two entries, sorry. Thought the original did not send🤣

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:17 AM

    I'm excited about those silver pitchers! What a bargain! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:12 PM

      I know…now to figure out how to paint them. I think I’d rather just keep buying…

      Delete
  7. Bonnie L8:40 AM

    How fun! You and Solli make a great bargain hunting tag team. Félicitations on your beautiful trésors. And, pastry from Maison d’Isabel…bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:13 PM

      Thanks gawd she was along!

      Delete
  8. Great finds..Our beloved every Sat vide grenier/ flea market has closed after 100 yrs I am almost sure:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:11 PM

      Bonjour tristesse😥

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:58 PM

      Hahahahahahahahahaha MONIQUE !

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12:10 PM

    That would be financial disaster for me. Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:45 PM

    Hi Carol, I enjoy your adventures in Paris and your daily routines as well. I’d love to know what style of jeans the Parisians are wearing. Ripped? Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:47 PM

      Hmm…I think baggy cut is IN. And I bought fitted ones. Honestly I don’t think it matters much these days. Parisians are less OCD these days.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous2:07 PM

    I LOVED hearing about your shopping adventure! Such a delightful story! 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:53 AM

      Paris is full of adventures & stories…as long as you can get yourself to leave the house 🏠 People complain of the French temperment…but it makes for many stories 🥰

      Delete
  12. Such a fun shopping trip and special as it ended in success. Thank heavens for Soli being there to save you from that awful vendor. He needs to get together with the postcard guy - they seem to have something in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:35 PM

      Maybe they are related? 😂

      Delete
  13. Well, nothing could be better than a vide grenier! So many DO know the value of things it's fun when you find someone who will deal or that hidden box! Just stopped at an antique mall on the way home and found a Quimper egg cup to add to my VERY small collection. I think I paid too much but decided it was my treat for doctor stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:34 PM

      I agree - fleas are for bargains & bargaining. Otherwise where is the fun?

      Delete
  14. Adrien7:26 PM

    Perfect market strategy! Tho probably good you had your friend to rein you in! 😄 I always browse the whole place first looking for my specific item/s and then if the cheapest one is still there, it's mine! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:32 PM

      And very sensible too. I am see it, want it, buy it. No waiting allowed.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous7:56 PM

    Happy you found your silver. I am spontaneous and buy right away. If you really want it…don’t take the chance. Solli probably didn’t care if she got it or not. I have never noticed pave chocolat before! Looks good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:51 AM

      I too am afflicted with INSTANT GRATIFICATION (also known as IMPULSIVITY in ADD) 👍
      The chocolate PAVÉ is Isabelle’s invention and not available every day. It has taken years of aversion therapy to be able to say no to a Pavé 😵‍💫

      Delete
  16. Was so fun exploring the vide grenier with you ..even though it was raining. So glad you found so many pretty things and Im happy with the cute basket <3
    It was indeed a dramatic end :-)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. You stir things up, dear Carol! I'd give anything to have been there! Or watch Wlady pounce on the vendor. Gemma sends her love! Bisous, Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you