Sunday, January 05, 2020

La Galette du Coeur, La Galette des Chefs, St Germain des Près

The first Saturday in January after New Years is the don't-miss annual Galette du Coeur/La Galette du Chefs. If you don't know Or never tasted king's cake with almond frangipane filling, here's a fast video with subtitles. I certainly didn't before moving to Paris.
Now its a month long struggle to resist the buttery aromas wafting out of every boulangeries. Held in the street and open to all in Place Saint Germain under the church come rain or shine.
Paris' top, top pastry chefs donate their galette des rois/Epiphanie kings cakes to raise money for OPIC. Bear insisted we arrive by 10 am before the giant galette was gone unlike last year.
We fell hard for this tiny feve/favor of the bell hop from Hotel Peninsula.
Solli and I had a grand tea there. And I stayed one whole unforgettable month in the Hong Kong Peninsula in my fashion design days.
Box tops are constantly flipped open to show off the contributions like this almond-covered galette from François Perret of the Ritz. It was gone in a flash though you can still find it at his chalet in Vendome.
Somehow I was easily convinced to buy this outrageously delish Ritz Belle Helene jam. Sadly its almost gone. Bear was at it last night. 
Pierre Hermę's galette Mogador has his signature combo of passion fruit, roasted pineapple + milk chocolate.
On Friday Bear leché vitrine/licked the windows at Hermé admiring the 'individual' galette with a feve/favor from fabulous jeweler MESSIKA (6,90€). 
Not just cake was on offer. Sud-Ouest hardy soup Garbure, paté, oysters were provided for early morning cake shoppers.
If you didn't make it to yesterday's galette feast you can find plenty in the surrounding neighborhood at Maison Mulot, Christolphe Michelik, Arnaud Larhrer, Pierre Marcolini and all over Paris for the month of January. Post feast we ran to see LITTLE WOMEN and absolutely loved it. The colors and lighting are wonderful among many other things. Go see it💋Thanks so much for keeping us in Paris 😄❤️ XXX Carol and 🐻

16 comments:

  1. Bonnie L1:05 PM

    Carol! Chocolate in your pear jam?! You find the most delish products! Bear, I think, was very wise to spend the night tending the jam jar. How considerate of France’s pâtissiers to brighten up our January with Galette des Rois...yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says that on the jar but it was mislabeled me thinks...its sort of a spicey citrus which I like much better. I havent hit any almonds or chocolate yet?

      Delete
  2. Little Women was wonderful. And those cakes! How splendid. Looks like a fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fairy tale morning indeed Jen

      Delete
  3. Does anyone other than Jeff worry about breaking a tooth on the feve? Anything with frangipane is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The French simply do not worry.
      Everyone is hoping they will get it so they eat very carefully.
      Its Usually easy to see too. They are quite colorful.

      Delete
  4. This looks yummier than a girl has to see after the holidays! Yum! And Little Women is high on my list! Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it. The holidays are not over yet here :))

      Delete
  5. Whoa! Didn’t know the fève was a bellboy...I thought it was a chef! So cool about Hotel Peninsula...you were a shoe designer...also a clothing designer?! YOU HAVE TO WRITE AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY...illustrated of course..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathleen11:15 AM

    Love the look of the almond-covered galette - probably would not last long if I had it in front of me - hah!

    Yes, heard the new "Little Women" is very good. On my list!

    Bonne Année 2020!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They all look delicious and Bear was meant to wear a crown, but it was naughty to eat so much of your pear jam- even the jar looks rather royal. Marvelous feve - if I lived in Paris, I know I would be collecting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheRitz jam jars are so enticing, so elegant. I tell myself I will paint it but eat it up toute suite.

      Delete
  8. Once again my post came up as unknown, but I know I am not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh did I do that? It was in the blogger spam file ;((
      I tried to publish...very frustrating ;((((

      Delete
    2. Yes yr name was there butdidnt publish.
      Sorry Suki

      Delete
  9. I would have gone for the oysters!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you