Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Tea with Mary Cassatt

Friday I took tea with American artist, Mary Cassatt (I wish..) at MUSEE JACQUEMART ANDRÉ.

Cassatt (1844-1926) lived in France for 60 years, was mentored by Degas and the only American painter to exhibit work with the impressionists in Paris. If you need new china the museum's gift shop has beautiful tea sets.

Or stop in the tea salon to get in the right frame of mind.

Cassatt's oil portrait of her sister, Lydia taking tea is in the show.

I wish this painting from BOSTON was there. Look at that silver tea tray! 
Under the tutelage of Degas, Cassatt began to collect and study Japanese wood block prints.
And a Japanese exhibition in 1890 deeply influenced her work.

Closely cropped-in figures fill up the picture plane.

Large flat areas of color and simple diagonal patterns are reflected in her prints.

Cassatt's muted color palette is similar to this Hokusai floral print.

Figures become flattened 2-dimensional patterned shapes merging at an angle.

Like the French impressionists Cassatt loved to paint water.

Unusual to see some of Cassatt's loose watercolors in this retrospective of 50 pieces.

I left the Jacquemart longing to paint cups and teapots.

First the thumbnail studies over and over.

Then finally tackling my new/old watercolor paper. We have to get re-acquainted again.

Mary Cassatt is in 3rd from the left, with relatives at her Chateau Beaufresne. The exhibit is on through July. Go and have tea in the salon while you're there. 
Now I have so much paper I'm having a Spring watercolor sale on Etsy of some larger, older Paris views.
Thank you for reading Parisbreakfast. If you enjoyed this post, forward to a friend. Receive a Paris letter or map in your mailbox + souvenirs at ETSY.
Cheers Carolg

26 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, The painting above with the two women and the tea set is from the Boston Museum of Fine Arta, and they also have the tea set in the painting! I'll have to add Musee Jacquemart Andre to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU Marge! I was debating whether it was Boston or Chicago...
      And they have the exact tea set! Fabulous. Next trip I'm going to Boston not NYC.

      Delete
  3. That is a fabulous Musee! I will never know why I did not stop for tea in their gorgeous salon. I will next time! I wish I could make it to Paris before that show ends. It looks so inspiring. Your paintings are lovely. I hope Spring time is gorgeous for you this year. It is snow/cold/rain/hail and warm in Oregon we just wait five minutes for it to change. It creates time to run inside and have tea! Cheers! Fan From Rural Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its raining outside right now Oregon. But there have been moments of sun. Then I run outside when I can. A very tough winter this year...longing for Spring here too 😄❤️

      Delete
    2. I love that museum and think the gift shop is one of the best. Had a nice lunch in the tearoom on the patio.

      Delete
    3. That gift shop is full of landmines. So many impulsive purchases made there. Now I try to just take pictures. Definitely one of Paris' best if you need gifts to buy.

      Delete
    4. I did a lot of my Christmas shopping there.

      Delete
  4. I must add the tea salon to my visit list for my next Parisian trip. As always beautiful illustrations on your site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you teawith...
      You won't be disappointed and not very expensive comparatively.

      Delete
  5. Love everything in this post..You do tea and cups..beautifully ..you always have..and the last ones look AMAZING Carol:)Saw a tin of Angelina at Winner's..and left it there..I didn't want the caramels..silly moi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelina has the prettiest tins. I wish they sold them empty. I'd have a shelf lined with them ❤️

      Delete
  6. These are glorious!

    Warmest, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sucker for beautiful tea sets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol -- this looks like the most wonderful exhibit. This is a home I've longed to see but how wonderful to visit during the Cassat exhibition. I'm off to check out your Etsy sale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always find the beautiful things to brighten my days. Thank you.
    Plus I admire your "industry." Your real passion shows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The world of Mary Cassatt and her early Impressionist paintings: Her sister Lydia posed for five of Mary's most complex paintings whilst dying of Bright's disease.
    Just saying...
    Your new post is so beautiful Carol. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:02 AM

    Come to Italia to see Plinio Nomellini !!Macchiaioli are more interesting and beautiful !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is ther a special exhibition on?
      Is this an invite to Italy?
      Apples and oranges to compare Macchiaioli to Mary Cassatt IMHO.
      That pony dont ride.

      Delete
  12. Lynn S1:03 AM

    Love this instruction....Cassatt Has always been a favorite of mine. Your blog was a real treat. Thanks, CAROL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, thanks for sharing a beautiful post. Paris is one of the most beautiful places to visit and to spend the vacation. Recently I had visited Paris with my sister and roamed many famous places. I enjoyed the tastiest cuisine of Godjo restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How clever of you to reccommend your own restaurant!

      Delete
  14. Jill Butler3:04 AM

    Awesome work!
    Mary Cassatt is cherished here at the Florence Griswold Museum

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this blog post! What an excellent exhibition, beautiful tea room and tea set for sale plus your lovely watercolours. Wish I could go to see Mary Cassett’s paintings and drink tea but not this time, too far away.....Merci toujours Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comme c'est merveilleux ! Merci Carol

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you