Friday, November 03, 2017

Meet: Calligrapher Eleanor Winters

For the last few months I have been glued to master calligrapher Eleanor Winters Copperplate book.
I took a Copperplate pointed pen class with Eleanor back in 2005 though not much remains.
Then I spotted a tiny sign in Melodie Graphiques window in September. Eleanor would be teaching a 6-week Copperplate class in Paris. The class starts next Wednesday. I can't wait!
Yesterday I went to re-meet with Eleanor who lives half the year in Paris and half in Brooklyn.
I know you'll want to see every bottle of ink on her desk.
Even if the labels have worn off..
A gazillion pens
More pens
A wonderful work station. Drool.
Some lovely hand lettered thank you notes on Eleanor's desk.
We went out for a coffee at Eleanor's 'local' a cafe with no name. It really is called Le Cafe Sans Nom.
She is surrounded by lovely calligraphy
Right
And left. A good neighborhood for a calligrapher to move into. After we parted I went back to check her Franprix...
For butter. There was a ton of the good stuff. A skip back to Eleanor's small marchę for a choufleur and the vender offered me a big tray of mixed tomatoes for 1 euro. You can't say no. I knocked on Eleanor's window. 
Please take some tomotoes! 
Not only did she take half but gave me her easy recipe for chunky fresh tomato sauce:
When you saute the garlic for the tomato sauce, be sure to include a chopped-up onion.  (How could I forget?)  They don’t need to be browned, just cooked till soft, then add the tomatoes (also chopped) and seasonings.  I think purists would peel the tomatoes, but I don’t bother.  I o tend to add one of those small jars of prepared tomato sauce (they have them at any supermarket; I usually buy something simple, not any of the ones with meat) which makes the sauce a little thicker and adds flavor as well.  I think it’s one of those idiot-proof things to make — very hard to spoil!
Videos of le cafe No Name and glorious French butter on my INSTAGRAM
Receive Parisbreakfast letters, mapand watercolors in your mailbox. 
Thank you Eleanor and Bonne week-end

28 comments:

  1. Suzanne Y10:10 AM

    WOW, you met THE Eleanor Winters!!
    She is in Paris, teaching?
    Soooo, you'll be doing some pointed pen??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Class starts next wednesday at Melodie Graphics
      Come join us 😀🖌✒️🖋✒️

      Delete
  2. Eleanor Winters10:25 PM

    Wowee! This is so great!

    THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky for you...can't wait to see what you learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have FUUUUNNNNNNN.Exciting..you will be fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So. So. Cool! You are such an artist!
    I never tire of Paris Breakfast ! You never know which Parisienne road you will travel next! I love following you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy H10:55 AM

    So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love calligraphy, but here in California they no longer teach cursive so I worry what is going to happen. They claim not to have time to work it in the curriculum.

    That tomato sauce looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't believe how many workshops are on in CA.
      A big comeback!🖋🖌✒️

      Delete
    2. In southern CA, cursive has been making a comeback. It isn't everywhere as Palmer Method was in the 40's, but it's still alive!

      Delete
  8. Postcards from Philly11:25 AM

    Looks like you are in for a fun time with your calligraphy friend in her class.

    Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, I have a question for Eleanor: Has she ever taught a left-handed student? I'm a lefty and have avoided calligraphy for that reason. Does she have any pointers or book recommendations? Thanks, Roseann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leftys are always included. There are plenty of fine Sout paw calligraphers. You are not alone. I sill check her book as well.

      Delete
    2. Eleanor Winters5:32 AM

      Hi Roseann, Yes, I have taught lots of left-handed calligraphers! Depending on which style of calligraphy you are interested in, there are various techniques. For broad-edged pen calligraphy, there are left-handed nibs (cut obliquely), and for pointed pen you just use a straight penholder instead of the oblique Copperplate penholder that right-handed calligraphers use. You also need to find a good position for your paper so you always write with your hand below the writing line. Good luck! It's a bit steeper learning curve than for right-handed students, but there are lots of lefties doing beautiful calligraphy. -- Eleanor

      Delete
    3. Eleanor- Thank you so much for answering my question. Calligraphy is something that I learned in grammar school and often think of picking it up again. I'll have to look for those left-handed nibs. Luckily, I always write with my hand below the writing line... Avante.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous2:07 PM

    Well! Thanks for telling us how Eleanor makes fresh tomato sauce. I have a half flat of rather uninteresting looking tomatoes from Costco that I need to use soon. I bought them to make an eggplant, pepper and tomato soup but my eggplant "went bad," and it's raining so I'm NOT going to town today for any reason. I will definitely make that today, the fresh tomato sauce, that is.
    I really love the way French calligraphy looks. Is it routinely taught to French school children? I think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. French kids are still tauht ecriture cursive. Copperplate is a different animal altogether. You'll find it on your bottles of Bordeaux and Burgundy....much more elegant.
      Curently I am doing Fr school cursive on the Paris letter envelopes...ahem
      I hope to improve in Eleanore's class!!

      Delete
    2. Eleanor Winters5:35 AM

      Hi Caterina, I really am not an expert chef at all (!) but tomato sauce is EASY. If you add some mushrooms to your onions and garlic, it's even better. Bon appetit! Eleanor

      Delete
  11. How wonderful that you will be able to learn from her in person! My teacher was a Hallmark employee (KC is their headquarters) whom I will not name because my calligraphy is scandalously bad! Thru no fault of hers....personal instruction definitely cleared u a lot of questions...if only I could get myself to follow through and practice more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The practicing is the best part. I look at it as a warmup to drawing!

      Delete
  12. Eleanor seems to be an amazing calligrapher, enjoy the classes! What a great way to spend the year split between Paris/Brooklyn. Her Paris neighborhood looks nice. Thanks for sharing the sauce recipe too, I love your Instagram posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her 'quartier' the 20th, Buzenval, was a complete surprise to me.
      There is so much of Paris I have still to discover!
      Really fun to find a new place 😀

      Delete
  13. Enjoy the class - I love the way calligraphy looks; so romantic, exotic and luxurious. Can't wait to see your results although I think you hand writing is already quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!
      Years maybe the '10,000' hours 😕😳😬

      Delete
  14. Clarity Artists12:53 AM

    This is not fair, between the art supplies, the food and the colors, all too tempting. As always thank you for your entries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love Paris breakfast, it constantly takes me to where I believe I belong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sending warmest greetings, dear Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:49 PM

    Love Melodies Graphiques! And this lovely post!! My best, Patricia, Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you