Thursday, August 04, 2016

Musee Rodin

Yesterday I went to the Rodin museum newly renovated and recently opened.
What an experience! I went with a friend, a sculptor, Barbara Zucker, the very best companion to view Rodin.
Her sharp eyes spotted details and elements I would never have noticed on my own.
The great man himself.
Hotel Biron, his home and atelier has not been renovated since 1917 the date of his death
The gardens are magnificent if you haven't been.
Perfect for a picnic though they do have a cafe.
Inside the rooms are splendid
All 18 of them. The light streaming in is perfection.
All the classic pieces are present like 'The Kiss', The Thinker and all the preparatory stages that led up to them.
Many, many heads and portraits.
Its intriguing to see the early rough castings before refinement
Arresting Camille Claudel's portrait by Rodin
In the same room with many Claudel pieces like this onyx wave with playful figures
Unusual figures of Rodin's as extensions of old pots
Often Rodin surrounded himself with dancers, constantly moving, inspiring these small gestural studies
Rodin collected antiquities like mad.
 He would buy thousands of fragments of ancient Greek and Roman sculpture in job lots from antique dealers.
A self-portrait bust of Rodin.
Mrs Russell's portrait in marble
With a plaster Parthanon perched on her head! Its impossible to show you the expansive range of all of Rodin's pieces. His endless creativity combining materials and gifts capturing the human form and movement are astonishing. This is a must-see visit. Don't miss it and bring a sketchpad and doodle. Why not?
Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast!
If you like this post please support it by buying my Paris letters and watercolors. Or pass this on someone you think might enjoy it.

28 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:59 PM

    I was enthralled by the beauty of this place when I visited there last month. I have been posting all my photos on Facebook and also telling people that this is a "must see" place whenever they go to Paris.
    Cheers, Stephan

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's odd, Carol, to see these photographs of the newly restored Rodin museum. I was expecting to be reminded of my own visit to the place, and yet, nothing I saw opened up a memory. Perhaps it was the lighting of the rooms I see in your photographs. My memory is of a much "shadier" group of interiors.

    Memories can be deceptive.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When were you there Frances? Its been completely renovated and for the most part the collection was unavailable.

      Delete
    2. Long ago, Carol...1982. Francs were still in use! xo

      Delete
    3. I'm sending u a ticket Frances!,,
      OMG

      Delete
  3. What a treasure ! Just be amazing to see the works-in-progress, and his own collection is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the light!
    It looks beautiful..the gardens are amazing..in June things were just really starting..now wow.
    I am sure you saw the movie Camille Claudel?
    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has always been one of my favorite museums!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the fragments of hands. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was into fragments Big time. Bought them by the carload. They show up in his pieces too..combinations.

      Delete
  7. Kathleen H12:56 PM

    You get to go to the most interesting places...I love the Parthenon head!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone can go Kathleen.
      Open to the publique!!

      Delete
  8. The garden is one of my favorite Paris places - very inexpensive, a lovely place to read a book, eat the lunch you have packed, or just sit and relax - surrounded by fantastic sculpture and garden. I rarely go inside -- next time, it will be a treat to see the renovated and beautifully lit spaces and art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the gardens have been improved too Joel.
      Indeed very lovely place to relax.

      Delete
  9. The Rodin has always been one of my favorite museums because of the gardens and my love of sculpture so I am very excited to go again and see the redone interior as that was my least favorite. It looks really beautiful now. PS - Love my August map of Luxembourg Gardens, another special & favorite spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a major overhaul...cost millions
      Fabulous!

      Delete
    2. PS So glad you like the Luxembourg gardens map Suki...a departure for me :))

      Delete
  10. Thanks for showing us this great museum! Definitely on the list for next visit, would love to see all the works in progress etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 'works in progress'?
      I will soon...I'm taking 3 online classes to whip myself into shape
      I'm in SUMMER SCHOOL! Instead of visiting Gothic cathedrals or eating famcy teas this summer...

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for your posr about the Rodin Musée - we are visiting Paris in September! Beautiful photos and words - thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. looking at all those sculptures certainly puts a smile on my face! thanks again for stirring up my memories Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up visiting the Rodin museum in Philadelphia so many memories for me too :)

      Delete
    2. I saw a traveling exhibit in Peoria Illinois. I knew then when I went to Paris, it was a must see. It was everything I imagined it would be. Now I need to see it again.

      Delete
  13. Love your opening sketches.
    As impressive as the grounds of the museum are, your interior shots are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been quite awhile since I was there as well. I remember a bronze door with all kinds of figures on it. It was outside. The gardens look very different to me, but I recognize the inside. I will put it on my list of places to visit again. I thought it was breath taking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been to the Rodin museum and thought it so lovely but now seeing it through your eyes: amazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. His sculptures are otherworldly, so beautiful...I have not yet been...Will I ever?...
    Thanks for posting this, Carol.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you