Friday, April 24, 2020

Update on Bear under Lockdown

While I've been lolling and loafing on the sofa, BEAR has been one busy bee under Lockdown. First thing, top of the morning he checks to make sure the view hasn't changed. And the weather - its been a study 70+ degrees and sunny.
Next Bear mixes up his Moka-Java - a combo of cocoa and hot chocolate powder + instant coffee with a touch if cinnamon powder (it took me DAYS to find cinnamon in Paris - everyone (still here) is baking babka) stirred into a dollop of creme fraiche.
A little indulgence to get him set up to WALK WITH LESLIE while I observe from the sofa.
Here are some of Bear's old fav French tunes in case you'd like to sing along whilst walk, walk, walking with Leslie. 
aimer jusqu'a l'impossible" by Tina Arena. 
Christophe - Les Mots bleus - Paroles. 
On ne change pas - Céline Dion 
Sables Émouvants - Arcadian 
Je fais de toi mon essentiel — Emmanuel Moire
Bear, fresh out of hibernation, is eating strange things these days for his 'Lockdown breakfast'. Its more like brunch but earlier.
He's added a new dish to his repertoire (upper right) from new crush, darling Greek Akis Petretzikis Kitchen - a chickpea stew to which I added 4 rotisserie chicken legs - a very hearty start of the day if you're a bear.
You asked to see more of Bear's supermarché shopping hauls. This one is from Marks & Spencer's.
Voila! Yes, he bought 2 herb plants. And yes they are not doing well. Bear has no green thumb like some of you Monique knows flower species instantly. The shells on the the lower left are bulots, known as welks in the UK. They are the closest thing I can find that taste vaguely like Jersey Surf City clams of my childhood, so irresisitable. Also full of iron and other nutrients. Bear never ate so well pre-lockdown.
Here Bear is hard at work on the April Paris Map, drawing in bed.
Sometimes Bear dreams of ice cream, which used to be a daily occurrence  pre-Lockdown.
He has been eye-balling Carrefour's fraise (strawberry) glace for days. On Wednesday he succumbed. Sadly the chips were disappointing and got chucked. Thank you dear PBers for your Etsy orders last week which keep Bear in ice cream. Bear just put some new things in our ETSY SHOP (all to be sent out ASAP post-Lockdown). PLEASE 🙏🏻 stay well dear PBers.❤️ Xxx Yours truly, 🐻🌹

24 comments:

  1. I'm loving these images of Bear's lockdown life. He's certainly eating well! I'm impressed by his cooking prowess! I love seeing the shopping haul. I so miss going to the store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Jeanie to hear that🐻
      We are all trying hard to survive in our severely reduced microcosms with some joy and equanimity. Bears are more used to cave-dwelling so better at this than others 😄

      Delete
  2. Bonelle9:06 AM

    I’m so glad Bear has such a beautiful view to keep him amused and entertained during this confinement. And, his own private chef to create inventive and nutritious meals! Stay well, you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem...Bear is the chef and even washes the dishes!
      I observe from the sofa. And partake.

      Delete
  3. I love this varied post!!
    I am itching for a fresh basil plant..I am TRYING to grow some..the fun thing about your basil plant is that you can snip ends and root! And make babies:) Have you tried sitting the plant in a dish and water from below? And light:) Bear is in such great hands with you.
    Very impressed how nothing gets you down.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nothing gets me down?
      We all have our low moments. There's too much daily tragedy out there to hide completely
      I lightened up on the news exposure and immersion and that helps a lot!
      I do have a massively hungry pigeon or two out my window stuffing themselves. So greedy. There is no cutoff point for them!? I'd much rather have a cat or dog but in the meantime..🐦

      Delete
  4. Dorance10:35 AM

    Bear must love having you for a chef! I’m loving Chef Petretzikis’ videos...thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But the shoe is on the other paw..
    Aki is quite the charmer. I want to make everything he makes. I Never 'followed' youtube chefs so much previously...I seem to favor the noisy, shouty ones. Wonder why? 😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Owl's Head10:49 AM

    Oh, I love experiencing Paris lockdown through bear’s eyes. Thanks for the window in...

    ReplyDelete
  7. GwenEllyn10:54 AM

    Those croissants you painted are making me hungry for some real croissants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am LOVING your lockdown blogs. This one is really incredible. I am saving your recipes and plan to try them next week. We've been off carbs for awhile so haven't eaten pasta in months, but I really want to try your tuna pasta...and we have plenty of chickpeas on hand so definitely am doing that one too.
    Thank you - such an inspiration to continue to have humor, optimism and focus on making every day happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim
      Its really nice to hear positive feedback from PB readers❤️
      Stay well 🐻💋

      Delete
  9. You and Bear are lucky to have each other during this awful time. Love the grocery pics - I can't wait to get back to grocery shopping once I'm allowed out again (never thought I'd say that about something so mundain). I did get 6 tomato and two zucchini plants in the ground this week. Dreaming of Paris all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't forget I have Very devoted pigeons on my roof here. They keep an eye on me to make sure I'm forthcoming with the bread crumbs and oatmeal flakes. Daily!
      Oh I love going to the grocery too. It was always my sport of choice...
      Bonne chance with your garden veggies

      Delete
  10. You are so lucky that Bear is taking over for you. I'm glad to see you are both doing well. Is he a fan of La Mer, Charles Trenet? I love to watch the youtube version, Mr. Bean on holiday, in the days before social distancing. So joyous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z58hYF44cEI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE the Mr Bean LA MER version❤️
      Thanks for the reminder !
      Yes M. Bear has finally stepped up to the plate and getting a hole in one...or is it one in a hole. Golf is not my forté

      Delete
  11. Sylvia B9:33 PM

    Absolutely wonderful!
    A sweet (literally!) day in the life…….
    Stay healthy and well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You cannot know how beautiful and delicious your food looks to me, both the groceries and the cooked meals. You're eating what looked lovely to you, and what sounded good
    to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathrine H10:02 PM

    Loved it ALL!!

    Here is a song for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oieG0DHfISE

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your work always shows your high energy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You, and Bear, are so disciplined, Carol. You have a wonderful routine: taking a moment to enjoy the view and the beauty around you; coffee break; exercise; creative meal planning; and then your work, creating your art.
    You are both an inspiration.
    I’m heading off to your Etsy Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marilyn2:56 AM

    Love seeing your market “hauls”, Carol. You are fortunate to have such exotic selections...and Marks & Spencer! They put my local Stop & Shop to shame

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it ALL!!

    Here is a song for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oieG0DHfISE

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving your grocery shopping and those delicious looking dinners.
    Was it at Marks & Spencer you told us once they had the best of sandwiches on sale?
    Thank you so much for such a cute post! It left me happy and optimistic.
    Cheerios always, dear Carol.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you