Thursday, July 30, 2020

Mini Heatwave

The 86 BUS usually goes to Odeon. On Monday it took a mini detour to Place Saint Sulpice. All the Older French Girls (OFG) onboard made mini noises of horror. This was no surprise for me. I knew what was coming.
We stopped instead close to Marks and Spencers, my 'candy store'.
I skip buying envelopes and the bank at Odeon and do small DANCE😄🐻 and go to town.
My haul. MandS happens to have very tasty strawbs for a mere 2,99. Who doesn't need a 'Ploughman's Lunch' sandwich now and then (Cheddar, ham, pickle).
Minus the mini citron cheesecake I ate on the way home...
You can see how strong the sun hits in Paris when the skies are clear.
The Paris sun fiercely bounces off the Seine as les Flics rush to resolve some catastrophe in their mini speedboats.
Les bateaux-mouches are back. Hooray! Not over crowded like some boats at Niagara.
A French girl girds herself with shopping bags to deflect the sun?
Don't you love how the clever French leave mini reminders of A NEW EXHIBIT on cafe tables? I better run see this. 
A big HEATWAVE/canicul is expected to reach 102 tomorrow. Where's my hand fan and glaçons/ice cubes. Whenever there's a spare moment I pull out my clouds to work on...very cooling. Thanks for reading Paris breakfasts. Please share with a friend. And receive a monthly Paris letter/map in your mailbox + French mini bits and bobs in my ETSY shop. Stay Well dear PBers xxxCarolg et Bear 🐻


21 comments:

  1. Ah, even in the midst of a heat wave, Paris looks calm and lovely. Is that Mark Twain I see reading in the first picture?? He's aged very well! Stay safe and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tables like those..we've had a July canicule carol..Hot hot hot..Love les nuages:)Especially divided like that♥That girl is so cute from the back..youth is so fleeting and we don't even know it :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I see a trend here...another stylish older gent in the foreground of your first pic. You have a great eye, C! Love how les Parisiennes are dressed for summer....so cool and simply chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Honestly most of the time and especially when the sun is put, I'm shooting blind. Just click and run. And pray a little I'll have something. Often I don't. It depends if I'm wearing my lucky horseshoe IMHO...

      Delete
  4. Even inthe heat, I'll take Paris. Love the cool and serene clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might change yr mind when you realize the only AC is in the yogurt case or department stores...ahem

      Delete
  5. Our very hot (not QUITE that hot but close) has eased here at the lake and it's divinely pleasant now. I've been working sky a bit of late but have fallen short. I'm very fond of your clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie P12:45 PM

    we just love passing the time at the Café de la Mairie en face de Saint-Sulpice (BTW it’s the church we consider as OUR parish church while we are in Paris since we stay at the nearby Relais Saint Germain https://www.hotel-paris-relais-saint-germain.com).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen C12:47 PM

    I love that the senior women are called, "The Older French Girls!"
    In Paris, you celebrate the beauty of ALL ages!
    In America, we are now called, "The Invisible." We are "disappearing." That is so wrong on so many levels!
    Viva La France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I made up that name as far as I know 😄

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for a glimpse of Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer1:00 PM

    My fav cafe !!! Every trip to paris takes me
    to this square!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is truly a lovely place and often overlooked merci deux

      Delete
  10. Fun to see your haul post-confinement!
    Very Summery selection..citron cheesecake. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baldwin1:06 PM

    Looks almost like Mark Twain sitting in the first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He 's reading Tom Sawyer in French!

      Delete
  12. Vickie N1:08 PM

    Love your post today, marveling at the ever present STYLE of Parisian women in the heat. I wilt!
    We were there when conditions were similar to yours today and a housekeeper at our hotel rescued us with a fan and an exposed block of ice created with a banana bread sized loaf pan positioned in front of it in a bowl. Magical refrigeration. Don't know if you have any space for one in your tiny freezer but worth a mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is positively 19th century here with hand fans and ice chunks :((
      Nutz imho

      Delete
  13. Lynn S1:15 AM

    Bear must be staying home in the shade. Probably sneaking into the Refridge and sucking on ice cubes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's cooling off on a bed of ice lolling around...

      Delete
  14. Ooooh, luscious cooling clouds..Why did the bus make a detour? This must be your 6th summer in Paris or so...I am 7 years now in Midcoast...You moved after I did I think...

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you