Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Sorolla and the Paris years - Musee l'Impressionnismes Giverny

Last Wednesday I attended a press preview of Sorolla and the Paris years at Musee des l'Impressionnismes, Giverny. Its an absolute joy to behold. Something we all need a bit of now.

Pure light and beauty

Do  you know Joquin Sorolla's works? A masterful painter, often called the Spanish 'impressionist'. A quote from La Prensa, Buenos Aires 1923,"Sorolla's brush was a beam of solar threads that left no opaque matter on the canvas, but only pure radiations. Sorolla painted the unpaintable."

Large format paintings take up entire walls.

An exhibit of 100 paintings, many from Madrid, 4 coming from Cuba.

Sorolla (1863-1923) was a contemporary and friend of John Singer Sargent (1856-1925). 

Their subject matter were often similar as was their virtuosic brushwork.

As a student Sorolla copied at least 15 works by Velazquez in Madrid. His work was a constant source of inspiration throughout his life.

His blacks

And his whites have incredible depth

Take time to look at the small details painted with such bravura.
"With all its excesses, the modern impressionistic movement has given us one discovery, the color violet. It is the only discovery of importance in the art world since Velazquez." 

Its recorded Sorolla painted quickly and directly from his subject, often completing large, complex paintings in just 4 days.
"I could not paint at all if I had to paint slowly. Every effect is so transient, it must be rapidly painted.”
"As far as outdoor work is concerned, a studio is only a garage; a place in which to store pictures and repair them, never a place in which to paint them."

His home and atelier in Madrid is now a museum. I'd love to visit.

A room entirely devoted to Sorolla's small oil sketches, 50 of them.

Painted on card or wood as possible reference for future works

A Paris view painted during his student days as a struggling young artist

If you're coming to Paris do go see the Sorolla and the Paris years exhibit in Giverny, just a 45 minute train ride from Gare St. Lazare. Rizolli has translated the beautifully illustrated catalog if you can't make it.
I couldn't resist making watercolor sketches from his sketches. So much to learn.
By the way Paris Breakfasts is competing for the Best in Paris Expat blogs. Please vote for Bear! (you may need to scroll a bit).
Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast!
If you like this post please support it by buying my Paris letters and watercolors. Or pass on someone you think might enjoy it.

37 comments:

  1. This latest post is fantastic really beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!
    now I have to go to Madrid!
    I have never even heard of this artist!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your posts bring a smile to my face every time, and make me feel I’m in Europe..
    I open them when I need a pick me up from my day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic!! As always, your posts delight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally V10:32 AM

    will check out...love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your last photo! You certainly do paint beautiful dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such color and light in his work. You can see the immediacy in his brush work and can almost envision his own swift movements while standing in front of the canvas. One can easily make a comparison to your own work, Carol. Cheers, Stephan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Stephan!!!
      I wish...I wish

      Delete
  8. Loved your reminder that there will always be love and laughter in the world. Love his work. Have you been to The Hispanic Society in NYC? They have a ginormous room with his huge paintings of Spain. Run down museum, dicey neighborhood, and it’s transporting. Just in case you are in NY and looking for something off the beaten track…

    thank you for the reminder to keep loving life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, you just reminded me that I did see a promotion for an exhibit of his work at The Hispanic Society in NYC many years ago. Time to visit it! Thanks

      Delete
    2. So sorry I never made it to the NYHispanic Society :((

      Delete
  9. Wish I were there! Sorolla is one of my faves...you might try to see the narrowly distributed movie, "Monet to Matisse: Painting the Modern Garden". It covers an exhibition from the Royal Academy and the Cleveland Art museum and Sorolla's work is prominently examined. Knowing you , I bet you saw the exhibit in Britain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...yes I did see it. Must report on it a toute suite!
      Thanks for the reminder!!

      Delete
  10. I love his art Carol..so beautiful..and look at yours!♥
    There is such romance to his art.
    Great outing.
    Off to vote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joaquin Sorolla, Manet, and Bonnard are my favorite artists. One doesn't see much about his work in U.S. museums, so this was a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carol, Oh wow!! I was not familiar with this artist, Sorolla, and was blown away!
    Thank you so much for introducing so many beautiful subjects to your devotees!
    You are an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was not very familiar with Sorollo but those paintings are beautiful - all light and beauty. Sigh. Thanks for taking us with you to the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helena2:24 PM

      Thank you so much for this! I am not familiar with Sorolla...always a delight to discover a wonderful new artist!

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed this post very much. Thank you. Also, I enjoy your quick interpretations.
    I had not known of Sorolla before, but I do now and am grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorolla is a terrific painter but hard to find in depth except Madrid
      He's a painter's painter.

      Delete
  15. I love so many aspects of art. This is light in my grey wet winters day. The fabric, I always marvel how fabric is captured. I have a special favorite here the people in the garden with all the fabric perhaps curtains?..... Also the "Whites" blue white, grey White, tne world of colour expressed in white. This blog post made me smile made gasp. Thank you. M de L

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoyed this Carol!
    Have voted for you and bear..good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carol, I cast my vote for PB straightaway. Whatever the count might be, PB is the winner!

    Sorolla is a such a fine painter...definitely on a parity with Sargent. I am sure you visited the Hispanic Society here in NYC and also saw other exhibits of his work around town.

    Wonderful to see Painting that Is Painting!

    Yesterday, I joined a friend to visit an exquisite show of Indian miniature paintings from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Over at the Met. Where apparently financial problems are emerging. Perhaps the Koch brothers will bail the unfunded staffers...but would those workers want the Koch funding.

    Summertime, when the living is easy. Ha! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No,I never got to the Hispanic Society...
      If I come back to visit I will go!

      Delete
  18. Voted! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathryn in Owls Head10:56 PM

    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Suzanne11:17 PM

    Your Sorolla is wonderful!! Never seen his work before... that's what I like about your blog... so much cultural, visual learnings! LOVE the colors you used!
    brings so much life!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! Thank you! We all need this right now. I will be pouring over your photos. I love his work and thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Barbara S9:13 AM

    Isn't he the best...a painter's painter.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please tell Bear my vote was cast!
    With great pleasure!
    I hope you win.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so beautiful - your photos capture it marvellously. Am now contemplating a spontaneous trip over the Channel to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth the trip Tess!
      More Sorolla to come.

      Delete
  25. Carol, that was absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a post! Loved your introduction to this painter - never heard of him and boy, what have i missed? Incredible work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dear Carol:
    Lovely post. I adore Sorolla and had the opportunity to visit his Museum, formerly his home, in Madrid. I live in Madrid and have been there twice, actually with a friend from Detroit. If you happen to come to Madrid, I will go with you and eventually enjoy a dinner together. That will be a great pleasure. I also recommend to have a look at the paintings by Isidre Nonell and Rafael Casas, both Spanish impresionist painters. Tnaks for sharing your Parisian adventures.
    Maribel

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you