Wednesday, July 06, 2016

July in Paris = Cerises

I was dithering on the way to the pool this morning whether to post on the exhibit of l'ateliers or cherries.
This schoolgirl's backpack made the decision easy 1-2-3.
Paris marchés are full of mountains of (cerises) cherries in July. Almost all the (fraise) strawberries 'have left the building'.
Varieties are endless. Bright red Summit.
Griotte used in tartes and preserves. The yellowy-pink Napoléons are so pretty and ready-to-eat out the bag. FYI the variety of prices are endless. You have to shop around.
The cherry man in Bastille marché is usually selling Burlat. named after Leonard Burlat in the Rhone vallee, 1872.
He always wears cherry earrings draped over each ear. If you're lucky he'll drape one on you too. That's how you know it's Summer in Paris!
In Etretat I picked up an old French school days book, Souvenirs des Ecoles.
The apple diagram was instant love, 'La leçon de chose...La Pomme' Why not do La Cerise for the July letter?
Voila Google.
Old school wall posters came up too.
I decided to add desserts to my leçon des cerises like clafoutis. Look out for cherry pits by the way.
In old-fashioned chocolate shop, Au Chat Bleu marzipan cherries called out to me, 'Buy us!' I bought a pair and drew them too.
Inundated with all things (cerises) French cherries. Only the pits are left by now but you can find the new July cherry letter on Etsy.
Get Paris in your mailbox.
Bonne cerises du juillet!
Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast!
If you like this post please support it by buying my Paris letters and watercolors. Or pass this on someone you think might enjoy it.

25 comments:

  1. In the movie, "Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain," her childhood memories include wearing cherry earrings and eating raspberries off her fingertips. My own kid did the same and called raspberries "fingers."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous image! You have a good memory too.
      I better watch again..

      Delete
  2. We just watched it the night before last..so many familiar sights..even the photo booth..
    her eyes..her persona.I love Amélie Poulain.
    Love your man w/ the cherry earrings..we have a cashier ..in town..that wears all kinds of earrings..she has been for 30 years at least:)It's her.

    Love your aquarelles..I told you I took a Pinterest trip down memory lane of your work..I would love to know how many times your art has been Pinned.
    It makes me practice too.The book is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply loved the cherry newsletter. Wish I spoke French so I could exclaim in a beautiful language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith :)
      I probably wouldn't understand..

      Delete
  4. Just LOVE this post XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie in CA10:47 AM

    I smiled from beginning to end! The little bags of marzipan are wonderful!
    There is no place like Paris.
    You allow us all to savor it.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want you to know what joy your blog
    Brings me, I have dear friends there and I
    Used to visit several times a year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cherries certainly do say summer, don't they? They bring back so many great memories and your paintings of cherries (or anything) make them extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wisteria1:32 PM

    Would you be able to tell me who makes this beautiful bag in the first photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a clue!!! I loved it too..

      Delete
    2. Found it!!
      http://esprit-famille.com/Ecole/Cartables

      Delete
  9. Sylvia B1:39 PM

    You completely captured cherry season!!
    I think that cherry jam is on the list of things to do this weekend!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You spurred my memory and I made Red Fruit Salad. It was a hit. We still have a few strawberries, cherries, and now watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore cherries, but they are vying with apricots for which I like best, both are available in abundance in the markets at the moment, we are gorging on both! Never cooked, just plain, wandering down the garden with a handful of cherries, the stone gets lost on the lawn, pure heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're planting more cherry trees when you drop the pits!
      Bravo

      Delete
  12. Oh Carol, I saw lots and lots of cherries at Union Square this morning. Somehow, the ones that you show us from beautiful Paris look even more delicious.

    This is surely a season of sweetness! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't get enough cherries right now, so your post is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summer cherries. I must go get some! I have a favorite photo taken some years ago in Paris @ Louis Vuitton Paris Champs-Élysées. It was when they had the cherry motif on their bags. Love your cherry aquarelles.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photo-essay, Carol (as always!).
    I love the watercolors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancy B3:29 AM

    a thank you note for all your wondrous posts from France. Love your art, your photos, your sense of humor and sense of discovery and adventure. It's so much fun tagging along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made a clafoutis last week and my husband devoured it. Love your pictures of cherries. I cannot wait to get the July sketch letter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always love your seeing your posts, but this one is the tops. Cherries in all forms, fresh or painted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots and lots of cherries...even sitting on your art work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I lost my comment... Oh well. I love cherries!! My absolute favorite. I posted a recipe for cherry clafoutis on my blog--http://thesabbaticalchef.blogspot.com/search/label/cherry%20clafoutis
    Bon appétit et merci, Carol!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you