Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Osiris: Egypt's Sunken treasures

Monday was the PRESS PREVIEW (so photos were allowed)for the new exhibit at INSTITUTE DU MONDE ARABE of OSIRISEgypt’s Sunken Mysteries on till Jan 31.
Dive into the depths of fascinating Egyptian civilization.
Enter the magic universe of underwater exploration.
An unprecedented exhibition of 250 objects that throws light on the discoveries by submarine exploration of the IEASM in Aboukir Bay, undertaken by Franck Goddio, director of the excavation and curator of the exhibition.
Revealed are the incredible remains of the temples of Thonis-Heracleion and Canopus where the most secret religious rites and processions took place.
Highlighting numerous objects bearing witness to a cult that has completely vanished today.
A god of the earth and vegetation, Osiris symbolized in his death the yearly drought and in his miraculous rebirth the periodic flooding of the Nile and the growth of grain. He was a god-king who was believed to have given Egypt civilization.
'Osiris was the first child of Nut and Geb, and therefore the brother of SethNephthys, and Isis. He was married to his sister, Isis. He was also the father of Horus and Anubis. These traditions state that Nephthys(mother of Anubis) assumed the form of Isis, seduced him (perhaps with wine) and she became pregnant with Anubis'.
In the exhibit You are surrounded by films of the underwater excavation that add to the mystery inherent in these 250 objects.
Watch a short video of the excavation HERE.
I was reminded of the aquarium scene in film noir, THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI.
I'm always captivated by the sphinx.
Paris is loaded with sphinx from the Empire period. I'm greeted by a beauty when I come up from the Metro Sully-Morland on rue Celestine.
This wall photo of an Egyptian barque
Isn't so different than a small barque along banks of the Seine quite close to Institute du Monde Arabe, except the guy is waving at me and probably not Egyptian.
Lovely hand-blown glass perfume bottles from the exhibit's gift shop.
They don't have a facsimile of this exquisite Egyptian treasure.
But I picked up this lovely necklace and two pins(14€ each).
I did not, however avail myself of the Pharaoh bath ducks. 
Who has a bathtub in Paris? 
Osiris, Egypt's Sunken Treasures is a splendid, important Fall show.
Don't miss it!

23 comments:

  1. Spinx rubber duckies, not just for bathtime. New companions for Bear? Charming exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, this post is a complete delight.

    The exhibit looks very, very interesting. Osiris is a fascinating subject for an exhibit and the explorations that returned these objects to sunlight add to the pull.

    I must say that the gift shop looks to have some witty and wise inspiration for its offerings. The jewelry you purchased are beauties.

    What...no bathtubs? I have all those Bonnard images floating in my visual memory bank.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In days of yore there were only bath tubs and no tiny showers like today...

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:16 AM

    I may be mistaken, I believe those lovely glass bottles are not for perfume, but rather, are "tear catchers." Meant for women to save her tears for her love to see when he returns from travel/battle. My husband brought me two from a trip to Istanbul last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was searching after posting and I found this:
      Jan 26, 2015 - Les fioles (nom anglais : glass bottles) servent à récupérer de l'eau. Ces fioles d' eau sont la base de toutes les potions en alchimie.

      Delete
  4. Love those sphinx rubber ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The necklace is a lovely Ankh..I had a silver ring when I was 18..where is that now?

    You are so well educated with everything you see and do..

    here I sit w/ jam in the making. ..
    Tu as une bele vie..parfaite pour toi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. I was inspired to hunt for the rubber ducky for an Egyptologist friend who loves kitsch. Would you believe a site called Rubber Ducky Depot didn't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the preview, Carol! I plan to see the exhibit when I'm in Paris in October. And, although I don't take baths, I do have a Pharaoh Ducky sitting on the edge of my tub in Luxor!
    Bises,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...perfection.
      One must have the correct duck for one's location.
      I need an Eiffel Tower duck etc...

      Delete
  8. I'd give both arms to see this! Do you know how long it will be there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to add till now
    January 31 is the closing date.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photo essay, Carol. We are definitely putting the exhibit on the list for our week in Paris at the end of the month

    ReplyDelete
  11. EGYPT IN PARIS (SUNG TO THE TUNE OF APRIL IN PARIS)
    I LOVE THE LITTLE SPHINX/DUCKIES
    HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathryn DerMarderosian3:13 AM

    Oh, Carol, I was hoping for the gift shop desserts! Only kidding, kinda, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to their Nora restaurant...I don't think it was open for the press preview.
      No snacks just work for us! :))

      Delete
  13. Ann K.3:15 AM

    FABULOUS !!! FABULOUS !!! FABULOUS !!!! THANK YOU !!! THANK YOU K. You are always the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just before we left Paris I took this amazingly sun and shadow spattered photo of the entrance to l'École Masillon! But I still have to search out the Sphinx! Just one more reason why we love Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That building is not the school..I think....it's to the left a little. Love that building!

      Delete
  15. Leslie H3:19 AM

    Great post! Thanks so much. i watched a short documentary on this a few nights ago. Great to see all of the "cleaned up" artifacts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very timely. To show that heritage sites are also cherished.

      Delete
  16. A "True Museum" post :)
    I love "The Lady From Shanghai" photo, too!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you