Friday, March 06, 2015

Jeanne Lanvin, Palais Galliera

Today was the press preview for the new and wonderful Jeanne Lanvin exhibit opening this Sunday at the Palais GallieraWho hasn't seen the iconic perfume logo of Lanvin Arpege...actually Jeanne and her daughter Marguerite, designed by Paul Iribe.
The first gown of the show as you enter is endless repeated pleats contrasted with a huge black taffeta bow, displayed perfectly with mirrors so you don't miss any details.

Another room with mirrors.

Original sketches/prints of the day (20s-30s) illustrating the dresses.

What drove me nuts were divine black robe du soir (evening dresses) shown against dull black felt backgrounds. I'm thinking if only I could say something to fabulous Lanvin designer, Alber Elbaz  and assistant curator of the exhibit, how wrong this is.

Course no one else seemed to mind about the black backgrounds.

Then in waltzes Monsieur Elbaz, giving US Vogue Magazine editor and chief Anna Wintour a private tour of the exhibit! Well it is Fashion Week.

Her helmet-hair is utter perfection at all times. And how appropo to wear a red-belted coat?

Voila.

Needless to say I didn't complain to Alber about the black backgrounds. All the wall placards, in both French and English are at eye-level btw.

Lanvin's dresses are swoon-worthy.

Dreamy wedding gowns.

All very soigne whatever that is...

Sumptuous embroideries.

A wall quote particularly fitting from Dior:
'World War II was looming, but the summer of 1939 saw haute couture in one of it's most glittering phases. Romantic evening gowns, ample and diaphanous, were an 'invitation to the waltz,' Christian Dior recalled. 'People flitted from ball to ball... Dreading the inevitable cataclysm, they hoped desperately to avoid it; and whatever happened, they wanted to go out in style.'

These beaded daisies were an homage to Lanvin's daughter, Marguerite(Daisy), her muse and source of inspiration. “The little gowns [Lanvin] designed for her own ‘petite,’ ” Vogue explained, “were so fetching that admiring mammas who saw them insisted on the same models for their own little daughters. Soon the elder sisters followed, then the mammas themselves.”

Jeanne Lanvin began her career designing hats? The gowns came in 1908.

Photos from Lanvin's atelier are fascinating.


Lanvin exudes elegance and sophistication.

Paris was almost Spring-like today. I wish I hadn't worn my puffy coat. Of course the Fashion Week types were dressed to the nines.
Don't miss the Jeanne Lanvin exhibit if you're coming to Paris!
Or you can browse the 150+ photos I took on Flickr.
Bon Weekend!

28 comments:

  1. That blue girl..takes confidence to pull that off~
    I would be all black..
    It does look positively Spring like..what an interesting pair at that table..
    You won't believe this..I am not proud.
    I always thought Lanvin was a man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they did change the name from the original Jeanne Lanvin to Lanvin and the current designer is a man so not a bit error Monique. You're allowed.

      Delete
  2. I was out and about yesterday at lunch as well; waiting to cross Fbg St Honore at one point, a Japanese paparazzi took a snap of a group of fellows next to me who had to be some fancy designer, of course I had no idea who, but I thought -- oh Carol would know!!!

    It was absolutely beautiful yesterday, and I regretted having my big wool coat with me. But it was so nice to feel that sunshine on my face, I wandered the Tuileries for a while during my lunch break.

    And I can admit I'd never seen the perfume logo, but it is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! And how funny to run into Alber Elbaz giving Mme Wintour THE tour!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was lovely. Today is supposed to be 59 but I doubt it, still not complaining.
      Yrpes the town is loaded with the fashionistas.

      Delete
  3. Very elegant. I have no fashion acumen but I do enjoy seeing all this -- especially the wonderful black and white! (And the vintage pix, too!) Our temps are warming a bit too -- and not a minute too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are making my heart patter. Visiting Paris during Fashion Week and the beginning of Chatou Market were once a yearly treat for me. Thanks for sharing the photos. Glad Paris is offering Spring weather. It's grey and gloomy here in TX today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parisians have on their sunglasses and the flower shops are showing plants for the balcon!
      Easter eggs are starting to bloom too. Very nice.

      Delete
  5. I love this post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous post. Thank you! Sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what glamour ! and I'll admit along with Monique I thought Lanvin was a man. I remember a long time ago before I met my Mr France, a boy friend giving me a bottle of Lanvin Arpège perfume. I was a dreamy 18 yr old and felt so sophisticated. Paris is looking lovely in the long awaited sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun it would be to try on one or two of those dresses, even if only for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karroll2:22 PM

    Really nice photos on Flickr--thanks for sharing!

    Bon weekend,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol, the exhibit looks so good. Beautiful, just about timeless clothes, and a great installation (except for the black on black.) Like an earlier commenter, I also had a treasured bottle of Arpege as a teenager...I cannot remember exactly how it came into my possession. Long time ago.

    We are hoping to have seen the last snowstorm. Expecting temps in the 40s this week. Tropics!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonne chance Frances with the weather there.
      Or get yr sunglasses out and come to Paris!

      Delete
  11. I don't know what soigne means either, but I know it when I see it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soigné..means attention to detail..cared for..well groomed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly you don't see a lot of soigné these dats with women in Converse, jeggins and whatever. But we do have other consolations.
      Still not equal pay like Patricia said.

      Delete
  13. What fun to live in Paris..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this one, especially the helmet hair and the red striped dress…

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic!!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this. Since I can't go, you brought it to me. So grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to see this exhibition in July!! Palais Galliera is one of my favourite museums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too but go early. There will be LINES!

      Delete
  18. Carolyn12:43 AM

    I too, thought Lanvin was a man! Unfortunately, this exhibit ends two weeks before I arrive in September:( I did however, look at all 150 of your photos on flickr. This sunny weather is such a tease, making us think spring has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Paris they are selling daffidils on the street corners, eating ice cream cones, dangling feet over the Seine along the quai =
      SPRING !!!

      Delete
  19. The Lanvin exhibit looked wonderful. I laughed at "helmet hair". Lovely color and very perfect. Probably a wig:)). I would have been so excited to see her!
    Arpege perfume. I can smell it just thinking about it!
    What was with the thigh high boots? Do you see very many? There were 3 women in them in your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful post...so interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you