Sunday, August 18, 2019

August Paris letter, Tarte à la Moutarde aux Tomates

There's no ignoring the August tomato *HOT TIP JUST IN* from Kate Hill Camont "After rolling out the pastry, brush it with a beaten egg mixed with mustard and set aside to dry. This is a little secret to avoid a soggy bottom". If only I'd known...next time. Put your irons away.

Immersion in Paris. 

They come at you in every color of the rainbow . Red, yellow, green, violet. No blue yet but I bet they're working on it. Its no surprise I've done many tomato Paris letters. 

I love painting them almost more than eating them. 

When David Lebovitz put up a tomato tarte recipe 

Action must be taken. 

I went with his older, simpler tarte with slices of chevre on top.

Warning: get your chevre from the fromagerie.

Not the supermarché. The taste will be far superior. Following recipes is not my forté.

I should have 'ironed' the slices. Or at least drained them in a colander as David suggests and then place on paper towels. My tarte had a soggy bottom 😳 The crust was easy, peasy store-bought Herta pâté brisée. The cooked edges tasted as good as a cookie. Now go make a tarte à la moutarde aux tomato PBers! Thanks for reading and sharing Parisbreakfast. 
Subscription Paris letters 💌, maps and watercolors are in my Etsy shop. With love💋from Paris🐻

21 comments:

  1. Always enjoy having breakfast, etc. with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those lovely pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie in NYC3:08 PM

    Your tomato tarte both real and painted looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tarte! Love seeing your tomato watercolors...can’t get enough of them in August!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tomato letter...and your tarte...bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary R5:36 AM

    Anti-soggy bottom trick 101
    1)
    Be sure to coat your oven dish with plenty of butter.
    2)
    After accommodating the bottom dough to the shape of the dish, brush it with a well beaten egg. This is how you seal your dough.
    3)
    Then put a thin layer of shredded cheese on top. You're creating something like a little mattress for your tomatoes. (I use Parmesan cheese)
    4)
    Now your dough is ready to receive the tomato slices.
    Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added a similar tip from Kate Hill to the post. She includes the mustard into the mix and lets the mess dry before adding les tomates

      Delete
  7. Love EVERYTHING and te fille drying her tomates:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tomatoes and the tomato tart - I tried one once but don't remember the recipe so I'll try David's with the tip of mustard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can not go wrong with anything David!

      Delete
  9. Carol,
    Love your tomatoes,
    I am trying the torte tonight. Will let you know how it turns out.
    Love love love your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bon chance
      Do check out Kate Hill's anti-soggy bottom tip added belatedly svp.

      Delete
  10. Kate Hill4:18 AM

    PS- I noticed that used a store bought pastry in your photograph- I had trouble with these. My own pate brisée is so easy and foolproof and the use of good butter helps avoid that soggy bottom problems!

    https://kitchen-at-camont.com/stories/2019/6/21/make-that-tomato-tart-now-all-butter-pastry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate,
      A baker I will never be sadly. I like raw dough too much...

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing this wonderfully different recipe with us.
    low carb recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it low carb? I didn't think about it...

      Delete
  12. Empress E.10:32 PM

    The August letter tomato came today! What a gorgeous tarte aux tomates! Your little watercolor tomate is on the cupboard door to encourage me. Merci beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the whimsical sketch. Reminds me of clothes lines (and tomatoes) growing up in the Midwest. Your blog brings pure pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Paris letters are such a fabulous idea and your artwork is beautiful! I am ordering it as a gift for my parents who are recently retired and thinking about their travel plans. My dad LOVES Paris so hopefully this will provide some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you