Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Paris Revealed

 As part of our new anti-jet lag regime, Bear and I got to CDG 5 hrs early and spent time browsing and vegging. We discovered Stephen Clarke's Paris Revealed - why ever didn't we get this terrific book on arrival instead of at departure? More to be revealed later...

 If you want an easy trip home book your AirFrance flight at 7:15 pm on a Tuesday night in November. Nobody on board.

Bear Onboard,
stretched out over 4 seats for a good 6 hour snooze - unheard of in the past. *Note Bear taped up his Backjoy and it never got lost and surely came in handy for long plane rides.
 
 Before we knew it, it was time to descend into NYC.

 Au revoir AirFrance for a lovely flight home!

 First thing this morning, rather than get up and face bills and reality, we dipped into Paris Revealed - our kind of book. You can dip in anywhere and start reading and laughing and yellow-underlining.

 British author Clarke, by lucky chance, turns up as a judge in the Grand Prix de la Baguette de Paris in 2010, a sort of 'Oscars' judging panel much to his surprise and all shennigans are revealed.

 Clues to judging good bistro fare are revealed by testing a classic dish like

 La salade de chevre chaud over and over until you can tell instantly it has not been pre-prepared ahead and then popped into a microven on demand.

 Where to see great art and not have your view impeded by hundreds of other tourists heads...

 Like at musee Marmottan for the Monets.

 I love it that Clarke dishes on each of the 14 Metro lines (the fun stops to get off and on) and Paris' 20 arrondissements describing their character and ambience.

 Clarke has lived in Paris for 2 decades and written a series of books like A Year in the Merde, yet I just discovered him in a recent Telegraph article. Once I'm done reading Paris Revealed (which only seems available on Kindle in the US so far), I'll be on to the rest. Read a few pages here.

 This book is both entertaining and informative in just the right ways to aid you in your pursuit of a faux Parisian transformation. *Be sure to check out the bread in any restaurant. The Euro starts and stops there so to speak by it's quality.

Bear and I will return soon to our Wheat Belly regime, but for the 1st morning back on home turf we indulged in madeleines from Boissier (bought as a gift for someone else, ahem).

29 comments:

  1. It sounds as if it's worth a trip to CDG airport just to get Paris Revealed. I loved his "Year in the Merde" -- I thought it was great that he could put "merde" on the cover and get away with it!

    Welcome back -- you got out just in time to miss the hurricane here and came back just ahead of the strikes there. Well done1

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I go to Paris, I will have to book my flight at least 6 months ahead so that I can get through the very loooong reading list you have set for me. Another great-sounding read! Why don't I read it now? Because I cannot remember my middle name (without checking my passport) for more than 2 hours.....any current reading will slip right through my brain. ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's a fun read whether you go to Paris or not. Pretty much a how-to enjoy any place you happen to travel to if you change the names.

      Delete
  3. Lucinda1:12 PM

    Bienvenue Bear and Carol!
    Re-entry is always hard to do..
    why not start off reading about Paris than catching up on bills etc?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendations:-)
    BTW..J is enjoying his Back Joy..mine arrives soon:-)
    Cutie patootie that bear:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nook has it, too. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is too funny.... I found the exact same book in the exact same spot on my way out in July. I devoured the book and was so disappointed that I had't read it first! But I will be back in 64 (but who's counting?) days and may read it again before the trip.
    Glad you had a good time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you have to put Laura Florand's new book The Chocolate Thief on your reading list!! She is going to have 4 in her chocolate series, with the next one The Chocolate Kiss coming out in December. She is fabulous! What's not to love... handsome chocolate makers and Paris???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bienvenue chez vous ;) Enjoy your book even though you are back home. On your next trip when ever that is, you will have lots of new places to visit. Ask any Parisian where they would go to have a great cup of coffee, it certainly wouldn't be where the tourists went. But it sounds like you enjoyed every minute. Great you were lucky to leave CDG before 'la greve' All flights from Limoges at our tiny airport have been effected today & most of them cancelled. So put your feet up & thank somebody up there, for you missing the hurricane & then possible delays on your return. Enjoy your coming Thanks giving Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about the upcoming la greve
      I do feel like crawling under the covers and hanging out for a bit...
      It's hard to venture outside - it's COLD out there!!
      Inside too.

      Delete
  9. I never thought I would say I wish I spent more time in the airport however CDG is true feast both for one's eyes and appetite alike! Next time I will follow your lead... 5 hours should cover it! Also, another great book for me to pick-up- thanks Carol !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 hrs roaming an airport is not such a feast - your brain shuts down after a bit. On verra bien.
      We'll see if it works again...

      Delete
  10. Great post and SO happy to have found your blog - looking forward to some great reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, sometimes I am greatly imperiled by your tantalising posts. I have known of Stephen Clarke for a while now, but never read anything of his. I am most intrigued about his 1000 years of Annoying the French. Paris Revealed sounds fabulous too. So I may have just bought Paris Revealed, and a special kindle edition of Annoying the French Encore on my kindle, and ordered a paper version of 1000 years. I figure Paris Revealed will be handy to have on the kindle for my trip next year. I am jealous of your relaxed flight. I don't think any plane ever leaving Australia has been so empty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the flight information :) Even I could probably get on a plane that has so few people on it!
    The book looks good, I hope that it gets printed here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back, Carol! Even though I'm sure you wish you were still there. Will definitely purchase the kindle edition of Paris Revealed as the paperback version is selling for $366!! What's that all about?? You should have purchased every copy they had at the airport and sold them when you got home to pay for your next trip. I will be in NYC in December so I'm still reading up on everything for that trip - like every where I can purchase macarons. Paris is next year! Bonne nuit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in print in the US evidently. Only on Kindle. The CDG airport edition was British.

      Delete
  14. sounds like a terrific book! i hope i can get a copy. Bear looks so cute in his seat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Judge in a baguette contest. Now that sounds like my kind of job! Welcome back to you and Bear!
    Connie*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome home! Peter also writes a monthly article in the "France" magazine titled "How to be French". Always a great read! Check it out www.francemag.com. Katie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back to NYC, Carol, and many, many thanks for all your fine French reporting.

    I had a peek at Clarke's book over at Amazon and enjoyed reading the sample pages about the various arrondissements. He writes very well.

    Hoping that long snooze has helped Bear elude jet lag!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you made it home in style! Nabbing a 4-seat nap is gold and rare these days.

    Love the book idea - I'll add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome home, Carol. Glad to hear your flight was uneventful and that you and bear got to snooze through it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mon dieu! my boyfriend bought us both copies of Paris Revealed on the way OUT of France aussi! Pas problem, it is a VERY good read and am now full of bonne idees for my return sejour :) Merci Carol for all the inspiration X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only silly fool buying it at departure...
      Clarke should have venders selling it as you get out of Fr customs.
      The perfect read into town on Roissy bus.

      Delete
  21. Back home? Loved the flight info, although from London I can take the train... but I still fly:)

    That book looks good. It could have been written by you!

    Bear is too cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Bear, glad you had a good trip home. Carol, thanks for the tip about the evening flight...I'll look for the book, merci...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hadn't heard he'd written another! Have fun with the Year in the Merde trio. They are hysterical!!

    Thank you as always for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you