Friday, November 09, 2012

Chef Marthe au Marche Gastronomique

 Sometimes in Paris the country comes to the city


 I popped round to see Chef Marthe yesterday. I mentioned I'd seen an artisanal marche by her Metro Pasteur of purveyors from all over France.

 Marthe was busy preparing for her macaron class later on - so organized.

 'This comes just 2X a year. Let's go take a look', Marthe suggested.

 Tasting everywhere - here from Corsica.

 Chef Marthe, who has secrets hidden up her sleeve (remind me to keep a notebook handy to write down all her French expressions!) said this was good pain d'epice but forget the Tourteaux fromager nearby. Really you couldn't find a better person to visit a marche with than Marthe.

 We came to a purveyer from the Alpes, M. Sylvain, Chez le Savoyard.

 Marthe whispered this viand sechee/dried meat keeps forever and is perfect for the regime/diet.

 In a clin d'oeil/wink of an eye, M. Sylvain was slicing us paper-thin tastes with his amazing Swiss Victorinox knife, (you can easily adjust the thickness you want it) and offering the small piece to Marthe
.
 Who could resist M. Sylvain's charm.

 Marthe mentioned Beaufort is a wonderful cheese.

 Before we knew it Monsieur S was cutting a hunk for us, moitie-moitie/halves. Marthe said in French,’This man could sell milk to a cow'!

 We both walked away with cheese in our bags we'd never planned to buy. c'est la vie

 I continued to wander the marche by myself. Don't you love all the red stripes and signs?

 Who can never resist someone cooking on the spot. This Breton made me a fresh crepe.

 Butter + canelle/cinnamon + sucre. Look how he tamps down the salted Brittany butter in various spots.

 Voila - the perfect outdoors snack for a cold wintry day. Later I ate the fromage de Beaufort with pain au cereale from des Gateaux et du Pain + 'Mogador'/passion fruit jam from Christine Ferber-Pierre HermeDoes it get any better than this?

23 comments:

  1. Snap ! My other half & I are eating almost the same for our lunch. I've just been to my local market & there was a 'marchand du fromage' there so was tempted & bought some of his cheese. They must all be the same, I came away with a huge piece even though I kept saying 'beaucoup moins'/much less, so looks like it will be cheese everyday for lunch for some time.Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je t'envie Carol..I would love to visit that market.
    And take a Chef Marthe class.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, it must have been so much fun to visit the artisanal marche with a knowing guide. I also like to keep some notes on various topics, yet often find that my notes are not always nearby when they might prove useful.

    Your last still life looks so delicious! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buying a crêpe in the street somewhere in Paris... Fast food, the French way. Some days, I really miss Paris... Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This mec was from Brittany
      Not a Parisian street crepe at all

      Delete
    2. Ma chere, I am not difficile. Always happy to enjoy a Parisian street crepe, ESPECIALLY if it is made by a real Breton! But you are right, on ne melange pas les serviettes et les torchons, and a crepe from Brittany remains the standard against which all other crepes are measured :-)

      Delete
    3. Re:on ne melange pas les serviettes et les torchons
      on ne melange pas les serviettes et les torchons
      Bonne explaination on Chocolate and Zuccini here


      Delete
  5. I love all the temptations at these markets and a personal guide would make it even better! I wish I had taken notes when we were at the Sunday market in l'Isle Sur la Sorgue this summer where my daughter and I tasted-and bought--a fantastic Cantal-style cheese with garlic notes. I LOVE anything with garlic so I had a hard time sharing. We searched the other markets, but never found the guy again and I still don't know the name of that cheese. Maybe another trip is in order. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a MUST-DO Katie!

      What one will do for remembered taste experience...

      Delete
  6. Love Marthe's fabulous PB business card!! and the adjustable slice knife! Who needs one of those fancy bulky deli slicers?
    But most of all the red stripes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks J!
      Yes the wonderful red stripes of the stalls
      Very heart warming

      Delete
  7. oh girlfriend i was so with you in spirit!!!!! those crepes, your little tartine of cheese and jam: living large in all the best ways! mmmm mmmm!

    (those charmant vendors underneath their rayures! - i always marvel at these hardworking people who show up from faraway with their impeccable stalls and their endless patient pride in their product!)

    merci pour tout cela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly Mlle Paradis

      'their endless patient pride in their product'!)

      Delete
  8. I love fresh crepes--I make them, and there's nothing like homemade ones, but haven't in quite a while. He's inspiring me...I like savory and sweet crepes. Fun...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beaufort!
    That's one of our favorite cheeses.
    Rarely seen in Ca. so we gobble it up in Maury.
    Glad to see the Pata Negra in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  10. .....and that's why I like farmers markets. Fresh, real food, made and sold by real and passionate people. How can one resist.

    It looks like you had a fantastic time and so did your stomach;))

    Happy weekend Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. O Happy YOU!! (But don't forget your little notebook next time... But since there will be many next times, it's OK!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like M. Sylvain's booth - that knife is a great idea!
    The crepe looks good, too
    The weather looks bit bleak there :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ne melange pas les serviettes et les torchons

    Don't you love Fr idiomatic expressions?
    Merci Veronique

    ReplyDelete
  14. THis is not a regular market-do you know when it the next time it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. parisbreakfast1:46 PM

      Marthe said it comes 2X a year but I have seen the same marche in Montmartre so I think they travel around Paris
      I wish I knew more
      They are there thru this Sunday at least I am sure.

      Delete
  15. Omg reading your post and looking at the photos have made me so HUNGRY!!! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    x Milsters

    (http://littlepiecesoflight.blogspot.fr/)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Butter + canelle/cinnamon + sucre. Yum! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you