Sunday, August 20, 2023

Last day in Trouville-Sur-Mer

 

My last day, Friday, I woke up to a torrential downpour. I had to vacate of my hotel room by 11. I ran to Monoprix buy an umbrella ☂️ 

Naturellement, by 11 the rain stopped and the sun 🌞 came out. A last stroll on the boardwalk seemed a good idea. 

Then the le P’tit Train came along. 
The driver said hop on. I’m a big fan of P’tit Trains found in most French tourist towns. You quickly get some perspective & sometimes good commentary.

The train goes around town, with a brief stop at the top of the beach.

I hopped off & walked back down the lanes to centre ville

The small streets behind the beach 

Are a treasure trove of pristine 19th century Victoriana not to be missed.

No wonder Brits love ❤️ Trouville.

All very ‘Alice in wonderland

On the way down I stopped in Le Musee Villa Montebello
 
They have one room for Trouvillian histoire

They were closing in 8 minutes at midi/noon 

(for lunch bien sur). 

Political Satirist Honoré Daumier came to Trouville to make fun of the tourists. 

As did Gustave Doré. We tourists always get the sharp end of the stick don’t we, especially if it’s a pen point 🖊️ 🙄

B. Asked me is there are many big hotels in Trouville-sur-mer.  I’m adding map/plan. Very few.

By now I was seriously hungry. 

I decided on a classic Art Deco brasserie, Le Central for lunch

I recommend arriving at 12-12:30 before the mob. You get faster, less harried service = less travel stress 🤸🏾‍♀️

I was going to get the lunch formule (entre, plat)

But decided on plateau des fruits de mer 🦪 (34€) always a winner 🏅 

I was glad I didn’t go to le Marché aux Poissonieres across the street. Crowded & chaotic. They weigh each item you choose (shrimp, crab etc.) so the bill is higher than a flat-rate plateau de mer. Plus bring your own drink & bread 🥖 Beautiful seafood 🦞to be sure, but not relaxing. 

After lunch - a last cup of Camembert ice cream, the 1 flavor Berthillon does not offer

I strolled along the docks. The fishing boats were in and unloading. *The fishermen are mending their nets.

One last travel tip* - on the return ride home, if you have an SNCF loyalty card, (all cards are 49€ annually) they usually offer you a good break on a 1st class seat. It makes a big difference. AC 🤸🏾‍♀️👏 comfortable seats, less crowded & way less travel stress.
A lovely 3-day escape/escapade is easy from Paris. Just over 2 hours. Why not? Not many Americaines here, though everyone speaks English👍
                           Please share with a friend ☺️
                           Please stop in my Etsy Shop
                        ❤️BON DIMANCHE PBers ❤️


46 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:26 AM

    Goodness! Camembert Ice Cream - was it good? Sounds amazing. I don’t remember seeing that flavour at the huge ice cream shop at the flower market in the old town area of Nice, and I thought they had every flavour under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:42 AM

      I was excellent 👍 nicely tart and a good chaser after seafood 🦞
      Normandy is Camembert Country. You might find Chèvre ice cream in Nice, but never Camembert.
      Local, seasonal produce is everything in France

      Delete
  2. Linda Karber3:42 AM

    What a delightful visit to Trouville, even with the rain you had. Loved the p’tit train ride! Thanks for taking us with you! I’m of the opinion that every day is a perfect day for ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:43 AM

      I am so with you on the daily ice creams Linda 👏

      Delete
    2. I need to be sure to get enough calcium so ice cream is necessary( :-) )

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:50 AM

    Trouville looks adorable. Love those petit trains! 🏖👍🏻 Dorrance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:14 AM

      Such a good idea and great for kiddies. We are all kiddies when we travel 🧳

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3:54 AM

    Wow! That looks like a fab seafood platter. Yum! 😋 RL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:55 AM

    it looks like you had a really nice getaway. Not a bad thing to have dreary weather when you have to leave…makes it a wee bit easier? Cordelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:11 AM

      And very nice when it clears up too 🌞

      Delete
  6. Waiters in black and white and workers in blue give an attentive energy to a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:10 AM

      ‘Workman blue’ is the French color. I have one of those blue worker’s jackets, though we were joking maybe they are ‘made in China’
      I bought mine in the Deauville marché

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Anonymous10:08 AM

      I hope you visit some day Monique
      You would ❤️ love the houses and gardens

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:56 AM

      I hope you go 🙏🥰

      Delete
  8. Anonymous9:05 AM

    What a lovely trip you took. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:08 AM

      Absolutely happy to share

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:05 AM

    Trouville est ma préférée des villes du département du Calvados en Normandie. Cela donne beaucoup de concurrence à Deauville mais Trouville est plus facile pour votre portefeuille. Mon restaurant préféré est Les Vapeurs sur Fernand Moureaux. Trouville est aussi jolie que Deauville et les plages sont plus belles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:07 AM

      Bonjour!
      I agree 👍
      I had lunch the day before at les Vapeurs - I think they are both top-notch 🏅imo & Trouville is less snob

      Delete
    2. The manager at Les Vapeurs gave me a poster that I had framed. I saw the same one in a Bistro in Rouen

      Delete
    3. Anonymous4:17 AM

      You are very lucky 🍀 By world-famous poster artist, Savignac who lived in Trouville!
      http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2016/08/savignac-of-trouville-and-girl-on-beach.html

      Delete
  10. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Looks like you had a smashing journey. Agatha Christie would approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:34 AM

      Perfect for Miss Marple 👏

      Delete
  11. Anonymous11:07 AM

    I love the roofs especially the pointy witch's hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:36 AM

      Ah…the perfect name!
      I know zero about Victorian houses except ‘Widow’s Walks’
      I didn’t see any good books there either…

      Delete
  12. Anonymous11:36 AM

    OMG-so breathtakingly beautiful. I could live there for sure. I love the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:22 AM

      Me too
      The architecture is fascinating & beautifully cared for.

      Delete
  13. sukicart2:03 PM

    Looks like a delightful trip and those little streets and houses are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:21 AM

      You would love it Suki.
      Small & beautiful

      Delete
  14. S. Lerman3:55 PM

    Lots of excitement in Deauvile this weekend-very important Yearling Sales...many horsemen in attendance..may have added to the visitor population in Trouville as well. Love both of these charming towns..Will visit this winter...Brrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:17 AM

      Deauville is the Horsy 🐎 town 👍
      I wish I’d had a chance to visit…will go back soon.

      Delete
  15. Bonnie L6:33 PM

    What a lovely mini vacation you had, Carol. I’m definitely ‘sold’ on Trouville, can’t wait to go! You know all the best places. 🙏🏻
    Gorgeous watercolors. You were truly inspired. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:20 AM

      So happy to hear Bonnie
      I’ll supply you with maps etc. Though it’s not a big town & easily navigated on foot. I miss it already ☺️

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:52 AM

      That seafood plate is more than “kind of fun”…that is FABULOUS❣️

      Delete
  16. Anonymous2:46 AM

    I LOVE THAT SEAFOOD PLATE!!! Carolyn ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:59 AM

    It looks just heavenly…and the restos…les Vapeurs, le Central…wow! I understand why you love it. On y va! 🧳

    ReplyDelete
  18. Philippe Camembert9:24 AM

    Always been a Brie guy thought Camembert will always do in a pinch — as ice cream!? Did you enjoy!? Perhaps in a baguette cone!?

    Ma famille a reçu ses cadeux- MB’coup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:34 AM

      YAY I was going to email you today Phillippe 👏🙏🍾
      It was so good, I had it THREE Xs
      Camembert is Normand
      Brie is in Ile-De-France
      The Fete de la Brie is the 1st weekend in October. Now that would be a good time to come!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:35 AM

      http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/2013/10/what-i-ate-at-melun-fete-son-brie.html
      In Melun (the best brie!)

      Delete
  19. Anonymous4:11 PM

    The photos of the buildings are so CHARMANT, I’d want to stay and sketch. Thanks for this wonderful post. Ooh la la fruits de mer = superbe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like the most beautiful day, Carol, rain notwithstanding. Love the train and the buildings are just wonderful. I would have ordered as you did -- when near the sea, go for the good stuff! What a lovely holiday. Even with rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:31 PM

      Rain is not a bad thing… I like getting wet ☺️

      Delete
  21. Anonymous9:32 PM

    J'ai réussi à rendre visite à un ami là-bas l'année dernière et le meilleur repas que j'ai trouvé était « les moules à la crème ». C'était comme s'ils venaient directement chercher l'océan à notre table. Le servent-ils toujours ? Pour le dessert, j'aime les choux à la crème. Nous nous sommes assis dehors sur la terrasse (moins de bruit). J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:33 PM

      A lot of creme!
      I always get marinière style - my favorite

      Delete
  22. Anonymous10:44 PM

    Beautiful pictures

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you