Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Paris Lunch

 


And now for something different. On Monday I did Heavy duty research 🧐 on Paris lunch.

Did you know Parisian hot dog buns are the same as brioche in Paris? A big plus compared to New York watery buns 👍


The crinkly, crunchy fried shallots/oignons frits sprinkled on top are hugely popular in France. Anything crunchy/croustillant is loved ❤️ with a passion. You’ll find oignons frits at Monop & Asian supermarkets.

I was in Franks (an original name) 

Where they wrap their hot dogs to-go in the New York Times 😂

On rue de la Boéitie in the 8th arrondissement 

Is a section of Paris where many corporations reside

I was up there hoping to get my credit card reactivated at BOA, only to find out it was headquarters for investment banking & sent packing.

Because of the plethora of corporations, there’s a plethora of intriguing lunch spots for all the workers. I didn’t visit Kurry Up.

But I popped into a few others. Med’ Eat looked fun.

I I was wishing I hadn’t grabbed a hotdog so fast…

Some places I couldn’t figure out exactly what they offered, 

But their packaging was very attractive.

I could not figure out Greek-themed Gallika for the life of me. I can see the chef is thinking the same thing about me 🙄

Next door at
Ankka their website proclaims:

"Ankka is a small town in central Finland, in harmony with nature, where life is good.

Our philosophy, eating fast, but eating healthy or the art of taking the time to go fast.

Tailor-made on your plate: 1 base + ingredients + a sauce

*All of these Parisian inexpensive, inventive restos are ONLY open during lunchtime. 

Come back for a quick dinner & you will find them closed up tight.

Plus French workers get ticket vouchers from their employers for their lunches.

You’ll see signs in the window - vouchers accepted. 

Next time my sister visits, instead of the torturous weeks of indecision & review reading 😱 on where to eat lunch, I will take her to Med’ Eat. Quelle surprise 😂 KISS 💋 

THEY are wearing toddler playsuits

                             In black of course for work btw.

FYI did you know there is a French TV program called
Snack Masters  Top chef Thierry Marx a molecular gastronomist & others try to recreate Big Mac burgers etc.!? Nutz non?
                  ❤️Please share Parisbreakfast with a friend ❤️


What happens in the Metro during August.You have to wait ☹️

29 comments:

  1. Linda Karber2:32 AM

    I had a laugh about Franks Famous Hot Dogs. A hot dog on a brioche, with French fried onions like old fashioned green bean casserole at Thanksgiving has sprinkled on top. Thank goodness our green beans have bacon and savory leaves cooked with them! Enjoy your lunch excursion. Hope your BOA card gets straightened out quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:34 AM

      It was very tasty by the way.
      And thanks I did FINALLY get things straightened out after many phone 📞 calls & being told to buy a plane ✈️ ticket back to the states or get a US phone ☎️ number!!! 😱

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:18 AM

      Egads! Some customer service! Jeanette sclar

      Delete
  2. The words "play suits" are a reminder of my childhood. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:28 AM

      I know…toddler days are back in fashion ! 👍

      Delete
  3. The hot dog looks very tasty. I have had hamburgers on brioche which is a nice change. How nice of the French to give employees lunch vouchers! I would love to see your sister's face when you take her to Med'Eat. I don't know what a BOA card is but I can see there is hassle in getting/renewing one. Glad it worked out and in the process you discovered hot lunch spots. You are always fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:33 AM

      BOA = Bank of America
      There is also a BOA-France bank I almost went to in desperation (Bank of Africa)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:35 AM

      French companies do not GIVE away the restaurant vouchers (I should have explained). They are deducted from your salary, but they contribute a portion to it. It benefits workers and it benefits Paris restaurants.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous9:36 AM

      Yes 😂 I would love to see it too…
      Hahahahahaja

      Delete
  4. Bonnie L7:57 AM

    Our 12 y/o grandson was thrilled to see a sidewalk hotdog stand in the Latin Quarter after a week of eating French food. Suspicion showed on his face when handed two hot dogs end to end in half a baguette. He voraciously wolfed it down and declared it the best hot dog ever! So, baguette or brioche they sure do beat our white ‘Wonder Bread’ type rolls!

    Their fast food stands do look to have fresher, healthier food than our fast food. The downside is that fast food is said to be killing traditional cafés in Paris where many also accept those lunch tickets. Bon app, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:38 AM

      This is true regarding the cafes Bonnie,
      Though Cafes are certainly very busy at lunchtime. Many of these restos are hole-in-the-wall sized with no cafes nearby, so maybe both can flourish 🙏

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:40 AM

      Exactly! I was trying to remember - Wonder bread hot dog rolls can not compare with a brioche bun 👍

      Delete
  5. I like hamburgers on brioche..Haven't had a hot dog in 100 yrs..lol..Maybe Florida with the boys Fred would have cooked some up on the beachside:)I think they are salad bowls:)at Spok if I see the ings correctly..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:58 AM

    That was a swank BOA lobby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:56 AM

      Extremely swanky.
      I was not dressed for it…

      Delete
  7. I saw the Miromesnil street sign in your photo. I found it unpronounceable until I learned to drop the “s” and the “l”! Thanks for the primer on that area. Wide streets and few storefronts. I wondered what it was as all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:51 AM

      I still cannot pronounce MIROMESNIL Cindy ☹️
      The corporations were once private homes/ ‘hôtel particular’

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:54 AM

      MIR OH MAY NIL
      https://youtu.be/uiCJkxkWl1Y

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:48 AM

    CUTE! MY SON LOVED PARIS HOT DOGS & ONE PARIS TRIP I BROUGHT HIM BACK 2. HAD A DIFFICULT TIME COMMUNICATIING WITH THE FRENCH GUY! 😁❤ CARLA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:54 AM

      The French guy?
      Whatabout US Customs?

      Delete
  9. sukicart12:13 PM

    We can get both hamburger and hot dog brioche buns here in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marilyn Peretti12:20 PM

    No watercolor here today????? Boo hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:49 AM

      OK Marilyn, Good idea
      I added some artwork 🖼️

      Delete
  11. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Les dejeuner plats looked fabulous and will make me find lunch time more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:52 AM

      I could have lunched at several places if I hadn’t eaten that hotdog 🌭 🙄

      Delete
  12. My dinner was a can of tomato soup and some cheese. Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:13 PM

      A Grilled cheese? There’s a place in Paris for that - The Gilled Cheese Factory. Such a classic!

      Delete
  13. Are those crispy fried onions like the canned O&C onions my Midwestern Mother put on top of green beans mixed with creamed Campbell's soup at Thanksgiving? I admit I sometimes mix them into grated mushrooms to make a crust for quiche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:36 AM

      I don’t think so, unless they were shallots & Asian

      Delete

Love hearing from you