Saturday, December 03, 2022

Marché de Noël 2022 - Suedoise

 

Swedish red fish candies (I was addicted to these for years on a daily basis until the dentist suggested otherwise) were about the only Scandinavian contact I had before moving to Paris. How about you? 

Last night Swedish Solli and I went to the annual Noël marché at the Swedish church in the 17th arrondissement. 

It’s been missing for a few years because of Covid 
In the courtyard they were serving traditional Swedish hot dogs, glog (spiced hot wine) of course, Swedish pancakes topped with whipped creme and strawberry jam. Also Swedish dried pea soup, known as Ärtsoppa, an immensely gratifying, warming soup traditionally made from dried yellow peas. 
Inside you could take your pick of hard-to-find Swedish food products. I forgot to shoot or buy the heart-shaped gingerbread cookies..I was so busy munching samples. 
I did not forget to buy a jar of Felix Lingonberries, not as sweet as cranberry. Yum!
The cold, smoked salmon looked very tempting.
Inside they also have Swedish Christmas crafts. I flirted with an all-wool blanket. It would definitely add warmth with the chill in mon petit garret.
Plus calendars and cards.
Inside the church they were serving light, delicious dinners served on lingonberry tablecloths. We got the salad of tiny shrimp with dill, a hard boiled egg on top of Swedish flat bread. And I got a piece of authentic gingerbread cake👏
A BIG TACK (thank you in Swedish) for sharing Swedish Noël with me.The marché is on all weekend.
And Big Merci to Bonnelle & Rob for surprising me with the most glorious Advent Calendar ! Inside are so many boxes hiding so many chocolates. 
Bear 🐻 and coccinelle 🐞 have been secretly inspecting the little boxes while I’m 💤 . I decided Advent Calendars are the ‘Thanksgiving’ of France. They are everywhere all through November and generate so much excitement and anticipation. Plus the restraint required of eating just 1 goodie per day leading up to the 25th of December. I failed the test 😊 royally. One year I even did an Avent calendar letter. This year’s Paris Opera Advent letter is still available in my shop. Bonne Saturday PBers !
PS the truth about SWEDISH FISH! 
Funny, I never believed Swedish people actually ate those red ‘Swedish’ fish… I thought it was just marketing. They are NOT Cherry flavored. But what are they?
In Sweden they are called pastellfiskar, which means pale colored fish. And they have a flavor – Salmiak – that you won't find in the U.S.. It's their wildly popular salted, ammoniated black licorice flavor.
According to the Candy Blog, the original flavor of Swedish Fish is lingonberry—a European berry. *Instead of gelatin, Mondelez uses corn syrup, modified corn starch, and carnauba wax to achieve that gummy texture, which means Swedish Fish are vegan friendly. Et voila❤️

24 comments:

  1. Bonnie L7:41 AM

    What a lovely Marché de Noël! Learning about another culture adds to the holiday magic. I’ve enjoyed many Swedish children’s books, Pippi Longstocking, the Moomins, and the magical Elsa Beskow, having read them to my children. Such a rich heritage. And, yummy food, too!

    Love your Advent Calendar Map…beautiful, colorful, so festive! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:59 AM

      Thank you Bonnie ! It did feel like we were transported to another country…maybe a gentler country.

      Delete
  2. Looks like just the right sized carefully done event for me. Refreshing in this day and age. I need more Sweden in my life. Pea soup saved my life there in 1965.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:01 AM

      Ahhh…they served that PEA SOUP in the courtyard. I wasn’t in the mood…not familiar with it but now I am. Could it save my life too? 😊

      Delete
  3. Dorrance7:56 AM

    Lucky ducky, going to Paris holiday markets. I take out your holiday maps & letters every December and put them up on my walls. They have become part of my annual holiday decor. Happy holidays, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:03 AM

      Oh so nice to hear Dorrance! This is the first year ai’ve offered older Christmas letters. I hadn’t realized how many I’ve done 😊

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:31 AM

    Perfect gift for you and lovely outing!Monique ps I remember those fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:04 PM

      Haha I was just thinking maybe I ate enough red Swedish fish to cross the Atlantic to Stockholm.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous1:02 PM

    This is the time to be over there. I would be waddling my way to a plane after a week Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:03 PM

      I am waddling around today like crazy ;((

      Delete
  6. Another great foodie event - I see several yummie things. I give myself the Bon Mamman jam advent calendar every year (and give several as gifts) and love discovering the special flavor of each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:49 PM

      What a good idea Suki! yum yum I will check it out but I’m sure it sold out fast.

      Delete
  7. I'd love to be you right now! That looks like such a grand time and I'm interested in that culture. The calendars and cards would get me for sure! It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:50 PM

      The printed artwork is divine Jeanie. You’re so right

      Delete
  8. I didn’t know about the Swedish red fish or the pea soup but know about lingonberries. The gingerbread cake would be my first choice! 😋
    My sister lives in Germany and advent calendars a big there too.
    Here in Adelaide, Australia we have a massive street Christmas pageant around mid November, some people set up their Christmas trees on ‘pageant day’.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6:51 PM

      Wow Christmas starts early everywhere else! It help you cope with Winter

      Delete
  9. So glad you joined and we could go there and enjoy it together ❤️ those candy fishes were my favourites when i was a child in Sweden..so addictive 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:56 AM

      It truly was fun…like old times. Funny, I never believed that Swedish people actually ate those red ‘Swedish’ fish… I thought it was just marketing..
      They are NOT Cherry flavored. But what are they?
      Sweden they are called pastellfiskar, which means pale colored fish. And they have a flavor – Salmiak – that you won't find in the U.S.. It's their wildly popular salted, ammoniated black licorice flavor.
      According to the Candy Blog, the original flavor of Swedish Fish is lingonberry—a European berry.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous12:50 AM

    We went! Thanks for the post! We have bigger general Nordic festivals at Christmas in Portland but it’s just people who have Nordic heritage, not expats! Cindy S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:30 PM

      I wonder if there is are many authentic products available, since Sweden is much closer to France than Portland.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous12:06 PM

    I discovered Sweden as an 8 year old when my teacher, whose parents came from Sweden, got pen pals for us to write to over there in her teacher cousin's classroom. It was magical for me. Later Miss Peterson showed us slides from her trip there. And at Christmas our class sang Swedish carols in Swedish for the school program. My pen pal Gunnel sent me photos, pennants, and small things. Magical country. I fell in love with Carl Larson's artwork. I dreamed of going some day. Now 75, I didn't make it there. But my daughter had a wonderful Swedish pen pal, too.
    Your site is so wonderful. Merry Christmas, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:33 PM

      Its not too late. Why should it be? I haven’t been either and I could have gone with a friend a few years back. I think I was afraid…but I regret every trip I didn’t take. The best use for $

      Delete
  12. Anonymous1:33 PM

    Always enjoy your posts.
    Hope to come to Paris in the spring--miss traveling.
    Happy Holidays LL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:05 PM

    I received last letter today and I am having trouble renewing my subscription. Daffodil .kb@gmail.com Karen boyer

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you