Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Salon Coqs d’Or, Petit Design Katsumi Komagata, Maison de la Culture du Japon

On Sunday, even though it was rainy, overcast and I forgot ligne 14 doesn’t run on Sundays, I went to the annual Salon des Coqs d’Or
It’s def one of the creme de la creme of foodie events in Paris. A superb collection of top French artisanal producteurs. Many never come to Paris except for this pre-Christmas tasting salon. 

Flan was big at this year’s Salon and I had enough tastes to equal a slice.
I took home 6 of these giant Burgundian escargot =Yum 
And ate 6 Belon oysters opened fresh on the spot. I found them very salty. 
I forgot to bring my little bottle of water. Essential when the only other drinks available are Champagne etc. 
Serious temptation from the Cassis nectar and Basque Paries Kanougas caramels. If you haven’t tasted them, its a must-do at least once at their shop near Bon Marché. 
Last year
we bought delicious sachets of purple garlic from the onion guy. This year he said,”You know you can store them in the fridge.” I did not know and bought 2 bags from Jean-Marie Caillot.
In past years I have bought these giant double-length orangettes from Bellanger. This year I regret resisting😳
Big with the French are sardines. They have a vast variety of flavored sardines and they can be very costly. Like around 34€ for these gift boxes from La Guildive. They stash them away for 10 years and say they improve with time. A mystere to me.
From pretty boxes to an exhibit of pretty cut and folded paper books I visited yesterday.
By a graphic artist, Katsumi Komagata 
Whose wonderful work I did not know before..
They also have a shop on the ground floor selling books and Japanese foods. Bags of Matcha KitKat bars looked delicious. 
😊👏❤️🎁 Send a gift letter from Paris ASAP🎁 ❤️👏😊                      🎁 💌 🎁 💌 🎁 💌

17 comments:

  1. Oh, wish we had purchased the orange candies! What will you do with so much garlic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:18 AM

      They have a shop in Paris. You can still get them Cindy. Click the link 👍

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:36 PM

      French garlic is not as sharp or strong as in the US. I add it to everything when I’m cooking. I used to take it back in my suitcase 🧳

      Delete
  2. Bonnie L7:14 AM

    You have remarkable self-restraint, Carol! One of those flans would definitely have gone home with me. Oysters? Snails? Casis? Oui, oui, oui!

    You introduced us to the wonderful Paries shop over by Bon Marché. Their Kanougas (caramels), and individual-sized gâteaux Basque travel well.

    Good thing the food Salons are balanced with the art Salons that you also visit! Although it looks like the Maison de la Culture du Japon also had food. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:17 AM

      Fortunately in both salons you get to walk quite a bit 😊

      Delete
  3. My mouth is watering for the orangettes! I like sardines plus they are good for our bones. Those look fancy. Last but not least the garlic. I don’t purchase in such large quantities but I use it a LOT and have always stored it in the frig. Thanks Carol for another great post.🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:16 AM

      Ahhh…another orangette fan! I have never seen such long strips before or since. Clever you to know about the fridge and storing garlic.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:15 AM

    Everything is done with such a beautiful flourish. I don’t get out enough and see all this. It’s really inspiring. Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:48 AM

    I store my garlic in the fridge, which will eventually dry them out of not in some sort of container. I wouldn't mind having the sardine tins minus the sardines ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never knew about garlic in the fridge - another great Carol tip. Also need to try the Kanougas. You have such great restraint. Looks like foodie heaven to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:35 PM

      It is foodie heaven Suki. Yeah that was big news in the garlic for me too. French garlic is better than US garlic. You can buy just one Kanougas in their shop - which is my limit…maybe just a half.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous6:14 PM

    That beautiful escargot! I know it must be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:29 PM

      Each one was like eating a double…I felt a bit piggy 😊

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:27 PM

    you are killing me with the vanilla flan. Dying. Missing Paris. BZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:28 PM

      Me too…why didn’t I get one? Regret retrospectively. The Bellanger has a mille feuille crust = Very crunchy Yum Yum

      Delete
  9. Anonymous12:08 PM

    When I had the oysters at Cancale I found they were very salty. Delicious but saltier than I expected. Just like the ocean water they just came out of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. French food and Japanese art! I like both these things so thanks for taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you