Saturday, September 25, 2021

Holly Golightly in Paris map, Place Vendome

 

The opening shots of BAT/ Breakfast  at Tiffany’s  are part of New York iconography don’t you think? You can watch the entire movie in 3 parts.  

If Holly went to Paris, and why wouldn’t she, for a girl who loves luxury, where else to go? With lunette de soleil/sunglasses🕶 or without/pure Audrey. Big question. The sunnies won. “There are certain shades of limelight that wreck a girl's complexion.” So many sketches✏️✏️✏️


Your letter will be hand-personalized ✍️ just like Holly’s note to Fred in the movie.

You can hear the full book read on Youtube if you’re playing catch-up. Capote’s writing is wonderful. It’s a classic.

The Cat “stays in the picture.” Also known professionally as ‘Orangey’..quite a recalcitrant cat, who ran away habitually at the end of shooting but was famous for sitting still for long hours.

Which hotel would Holly stay in Paris? I asked knowledgable Paris Diary by Laure. Do you get her newsletter? You should. Comes on Tuesdays. She said luxury 5* Hyatt Vendôme is currently very hot with celebrities.

I thought about it and put Holly in room #114, Mr. Flannagan’s chambre at the Ritz(from Love in the Afternoon). The Ritz and Audrey are joined at the hip don’t you think?

For BAT fans watch the making of…essential. Yes, we all hate the casting of Mr. Kuniyoshi. Big mistake, even back then they should have known better. 

Have you wandered around Place Vendôme looking in the shops? 

I haven’t except for specific errands to the 
The Ritz Chalet de Noël or the Salon Proust Salon preview tea.

What a treat! I had to for
 Holly’s Paris map It was lovely. A beautiful open, airy space with extraordinary shops. Why not do a trial run yourself? 😊💋🕶🥂🐻


22 comments:

  1. So excited You did such a beautiful job!
    I have to get this one !

    ReplyDelete
  2. The web site you mentioned: https://parisdiarybylaure.com/
    is wonderful...as is your map. Thanks, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah so nice to hear Sally
    Laure is brill. much more ‘in the know’ than I will ever be
    She’s French after all !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Carol for the tip to Paris Diary by Laure. Added it to my bookmarks!
    Your maps is great, all the things Holly would love. I have wandered Place Vendome pressing my nose to the windows many times. It is very beautiful at night, too. The column is magnificent!
    I read about the robbery at Bvlgari pretty daring.🕶💍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful take on Audrey Hepburn…lovely. Fun to imagine her window shopping on Place Vendôme. I want Audrey’s turquoise face mask! Wouldn’t that be fun to wear on the plane??

    Already follow Laure. I learn so much from her posts. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sybille10:13 AM

    Love it
    It’s a marvel how you get these out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janes Gabin10:16 AM

    I got your post this am and signed up for Laure’s newsletter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Holly postings. I am recovering from Shingles. One of your recent postings about Holly munching on bread inspired me to blog about the significant difference between lovely French p-a-i-n. and yucky English p-a-i-n.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your planning of the Audrey map is so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish it were true…it evolves and changes as I go along.I’m always open to new ideas.
    And sometimes a complete change of subject even !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathryn of Owlshead10:51 AM

    All wonderful, and I especially love the drawing (image 3) of HG with her back to us in her tangerine coat accompanied by her cat, and just a glimpse of her side profile. As you know I love the way you see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sky blue sleep mask is readily available on Etsy by the way!
    Go for it,!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it all but I agree with Kathryn- I'd know those two sketches were Audrey without a doubt. Signed up for Laure's newsletter also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elaine R12:42 PM

    It is indeed a great place to wander. You always made me think of you as a cross between Audrey and Mary Tyler Moore

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just FYI the link to BAT 3 parts appears to be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Winewalker10:11 PM

    A delight! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  17. VIKKI HINE.I fixed the BAT link. Thanks for letting me know…so many to check..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time- yes it’s working fine today. Thanks for the way you share, it makes me almost be able to smell the experiences as I dream of when we might be able to return to Paris out of lockdown ❤️

      Delete
  18. What a charming post! I can contribute more about Orangey. It was his final film. He was also the cat in The Incredible Shrinking Man. And he is the remarkable cat in Rhubarb, one of the last true screwball comedies. It was his first film, if I remember aright, and he does his total stunt cat routine for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a clever idea, putting Holly in Paris. Definitely the Ritz, with a crossant. Your drawings capture her so perfectly -- anyone who has ever seen her would know her from your images. And I adore the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's hard to imagine anyone but Audrey playing Holly Golightly, but Truman Capote wasn't pleased with the choice; he wanted Marilyn Monroe! That certainly would've made for an interesting interpretation of Holly, but Audrey owns it. Capote's story wasn't nearly as light-hearted as the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think I was shocked a little when I read the book and realised the film was such a rise coloured glasses look at her life

      Delete

Love hearing from you