Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Rodin et la Danse

If you want to learn figure drawing copy Rodin, the master of the fluid line.
Last week. I saw a preview of the new, RODIN ET LA DANCE at the musee Rodin, 77 rue de Varenne.
An inspiring selection of 50 drawings plus maquettes, antiquities, photographs exploring the sculpture's fascination with art of dancing and movement.
Rodin surrounded himself with leading dancers of his day like Loie Fuller, Isadora Duncan, Nijinski, often performing for him in his studio.
He adored the Royal Ballet of Cambodia when they visited Paris for the World Fair. Rodin sketching as a young dancer performs.
Rodin studied dance movements, the body's tensions, balance and imbalance.
Expressing the life force of the body, its vital energy.
Pieces from Rodin's collection of antiquities reflect his interest in the body's relationship to space.
The repetition of forms on a Grecian urn
Especially captivating his interest in awkward movements, imbalance.
Greek and Roman figurines showing the rhythmic flow of drapery on the moving figure
A marvelous quickie doodle on a hotel pad
Such an expressive economy of line. These could easily be contemporary modern dancers.


Really a glorious indepth exhibit offering many clues to Rodin's mythical sculptures, its on until the 22nd of July.
Last week was a triple-header of exciting exhibits and this week could be the same. Tomorrow is the preview of the THE RITZ PARIS auction at ARTCURIAL, Rond Point. The sale takes place from the 17th to 21st April. More info to come tomorrow post-preview.
What I wouldn't give for one cup and saucer. I had hot chocolate at the Ritz bar in 2009 and 2011.
Do I dare bring along Bear 🐻 to the Ritz preview tomorrow PBers ?

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:19 PM

    Yes, I think you should bring Bear to the Preview. How often do you have that chance? Sweet! I did get excited and looked up the catalogues. How fun. Have a great time! Your beautiful pics of the Rodin show are so nice. Thank you. What wonderful images. Cheers! Fan from Rural Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Oregon.
      Its easy to take nice pictures of beautiful things 🥂

      Delete
  2. I'm sure Bear would love it so you should definitely allow him to go - and he might pick something out for you.
    Rodin is my favorite - love his sculptures and the museum gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pitcher and tea cup are beautiful. Do you ever make videos of yourself while you are painting? I'd love to watch you paint your cups and saucers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get a smart phone one of these days Janet. I want to do it too!
      My ipad mini is no good 😳

      Delete
  4. Wonderful...Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post with all the drawings of dancers! Your teacup painting is lovely. Take bear to The Ritz - why not!?! 😊☕️

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as he remains calm:) Love that aquarelle!!!Oh do get an IPHONE..people are ditching their DSLRs for Smart Phones for the quality of everything:)
    You're always on the go..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy H10:06 AM

    I used to love Rodin but after seeing the Camille Claudel movie - not so fond of him - you have to separate the man from the (male) artist - most with "feet of clay" (I used that expression on my son recently and he had no idea what I meant - made me feel OLD!).

    Love that last water color - tres jolie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont forget the movies have to exaggerate or they dont have a movie.
      Granted I did not see it but her family was not kind either. A difficult, sad life to be sure.

      Delete
  8. Please do �� !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:07 PM

    I wonder how much ONE cup and saucer could be? If they even sell them by the ONE. What fun to have a chocolate cup and saucer from Ritz! Or...from Angelina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelina cups etc. you can easily buy in their boutique. And you can buy The Ritz Haviland porcelaine in theor shop but the changed the color of the MARTHE pattern from green to blue. Everything is in lots of 6-8 in the auction of course...

      Delete
  10. carol when they first shuttered it-a seller on ebay had the table cloths for sale...I watched and watched one listing sell after another....finally threw my hat in and won one(quite expensive) but I love it the weight is really something I have never used it not because I am saving it but our dining room has never really been put back in "formal" status after some home renos....as you know we have Rodin here in Philly-I love his work as well as Camille's and right you are a sad sad life-hope you and Bear are loving Paris is the Spring time.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful G! Lucky you. Definitely a keepsake.
      There were bolts of gorgeous fabrics. Fabulous stuff. Prices will be sky high I'm sure.

      Delete
  11. Your green cup and cream pitcher are gorgeous, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is this lovely painting from today’s Paris Breakfasts post available?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonnie2:59 AM

    Yes! Bear must be there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you should go to the Auction!
    I would give anything to be there
    Wondering if the euros price on the plates are individual or for a group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The auction will be by phone online only as I understand it...too many international bidders!

      Delete
  15. Sharon T3:36 AM

    This communique is Divine! Rodin=a GOD!!~!THANKS FOR SHARING SO MANY GEMS! I am sending along to a GF in Paris presently so she will not miss...as for taking Bear to the Ritz-why not?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That watercolor is lovely, Carol. I didn't know you like porcelaine so much.
    Camille Claudel's brother spent many years in Brazil on a diplomatic assingment. While there, his secretary was a young Darius Milhaud, the famous composer.
    Love always your enchanting posts.
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you