Wednesday, June 21, 2017

A little more Amsterdam

Dank je (thank you) again to HOLLAND TOURIST OFFICE for inviting me to visit Amsterdam last week.
Such beautiful cheese and so many opps to taste..
Tulip bulbs in the Flower Market
Of course waffles.
Speculaas with an A. In Belgium its spelled with an O FYI. They both shared Flanders at one time, home of the spicy, gingery cookie impossible not to love.
Amsterdam's gingerbread houses. Even easier to love.
By chance I wondered into the Begjnhof enclave. I saw flowering trees down a dark entryway (door on the right) and popped in. Best way to make discoveries when you travel is follow your intuitions.
160 canals and counting in Amsterdam
My canal watercolor..
Endless bikes.
The famous herring place
Exactly in front of the famous SEAFOOF BAR.
I had to run in for a bowl of their inimitable lobster soup (made from the shells).
A stunning display of legs and claws but no time to linger. The train was waiting.
I grabbed a tram forgetting they move slow as tortoises.
With just two hours to explore after the Small Wonders exhibit, I grabbed a pedi-cab to get me halfway to Central station. Bumpy ride but fun.
A beautifully carved old facade on one of Amsterdam's narrow pedestrian streets.
To-die-for beautiful Copperplate calligraphy in Amsterdam's shop windows. I've taken calligraphy up again the last 6 weeks to make your envelopes prettier, but there's a long ways to go. Practice, practice, practice. I hope you enjoyed a little more Amsterdam. I hope I'll get back again soon! Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast.  If you'd like to receive Parisbreakfast letters and mapin your mailbox, stop by my shop. You can now do 'guest checkout' without registering.
Bon journée.

21 comments:

  1. what a beautiful trip you had in Amsterdam !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beau! Everything is Beau! Look at your buildings..wow !

    And lettereing..Love speculaas..now I know re the o and a:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lettereing..that's special;) ing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You saw so much in a short time. What is the travel time to Amsterdam? Seeing your posts I think I have put Amsterdam on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 hours by train but so worth it. Staying overnite would be nicer me thinks.

      Delete
  5. Don't you just love it all? Oh, I do! Amsterdam is such a great city. And you captured it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So vibrant and lively. Not chic either which is kind of a relief. Very relaxed!

      Delete
  6. I Dig the Art Nouveau design above and to the sides of the Seafood Bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good you noticed. It is a beautiful building!!

      Delete
  7. I love this city too. So glad you got there. The botanical garden is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amsterdam looks fascinating & fun. Love those buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! We could actually feel the dashing about...and then there was the "of course waffles". Ah.
    Thank you, yet again, reporter-at-large.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charles Z12:55 PM

    Lovely posts on Amsterdam! Your calligraphy is superb! Travel on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charles but my calligraphy needs a couple of years practice.
      My daily scales...

      Delete
  11. Kathryn3:05 PM

    I LOVE the PB envelopes. I save them! Now all my PB goodies are in one binder, with envelopes tucked into the back sleeve. Amazing how many subjects come up...flowers, cities, events, baking, foods etc..and I have a PB binder to share another dimension of the discussion. And of course,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leslie in Oregon9:23 PM

    "Best way to make discoveries when you travel is follow your intuitions:" I couldn't agree more! Did you ride a bicycle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need lessons! The one thing keeping me from moving instantly to Amsterdam are my lack of biking skills😁😁

      Delete
  13. Allie in NYC2:23 AM

    I love your Amsterdam blog, and I think the whimsical canal watercolor is great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great opening shot,Carol.
    I love the architectural photos, too - lots of character to the buildings.
    And, the lovely watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That you for taking me with you! I'm in love with Amstedam! Is there any more beautiful color than that waxed cheese?
    I, too, took up calligraphy so I could fancy up my journal pages...not yet! Much more practice, practice, practice needed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Carol, it's been great fun getting caught up with your recent posts. I love having access to you on IG, but perhaps love your blogs even more!

    What wonderful weather you have had for your ex-Paris excursions! The drawing sessions must have been very interesting. An early blogging buddy of mine once lived in that medieval city. Amsterdam looks as charming as ever!

    Lots of love to you and Bear. xo

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you