Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Step-by-step creating September's Paris Letter

The September letter always has a 'La Rentree' theme. I looked at old French lesson books: syllabaires, ABCdaires.
I've collected a few and even went looking in George's candy shop. He has tons of old French school stuff.
Paris windows have back-to-school themes.
I went looking for inspo.
Such beautiful Swiss colored pencils, though not a Crayola crayon in all of France.
Back to the drawing board to make some thumbnails. I don't do this enough.
Final drawing except for a big hole in the middle...
Still a hole in the middle 'cos I'd lost those little sketches...
Saved by the copyshop guy who found it. So many pieces of paper. Some always go missing
Ta Da. Fini. Terminee And in la Poste! Now on to the September map. And Chester, but that's another shaggy dog story..
All the Paris dads have been corralled to take the kiddies to school
And to bring them home.
To and from school the first week of La Rentree. It happens every year.
This one got away. There are handmade watercolor bookmarks in this months Paris letters by the way. Thanks for reading Parisbreakfast. You can receive Parisbreakfast letters, maps and watercolors in your mailbox. Just look in my Etsy shop. And visit my INSTAGRAM for more pics. Bon mercredi!

20 comments:

  1. CAROL G-I SIMPLY ADORE BEING LET IN THE KNOW ABOUT YOUR PROCESS!!! Letter looks incredible....and I have to be honest-if I found one of your small drawing pieces-I might have to hold onto it-love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Carol, your sketch appears to have an R missing in Rentrée. I hope you caught it before mailing. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Too late now.
      Dislexia to thank. I dont see spelling errors at all.
      I depend on my copyshop guy for that...the other one.

      Delete
  3. Did you know cursive is no longer taught in US schools?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry Walker10:21 PM

    I loved your reentree letter . It really did capture those books from our childhoods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun to follow your thought process, Carol. I was just going through my old folder of Paris Sketches. I think I'm going to give myself a subscription to the maps (or maybe sketches again) for my New Year's present! I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be lovely Jeanie.
      Bear is clapping 🐻

      Delete
  6. Loved this post of the creative process, very inspirational.
    Makes me want to work harder on my art.

    PS FYI Faber-Castell Colored Pencils are German-made.
    The sets I have are from Nuremberg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong again.
      Misspelling and colored pencil origins wrong.
      Oh woe is moi.

      Delete
  7. Katherine11:43 AM

    Beautiful drawings and love those photos of La Rentrée des classes! But there is an R missing at RENTRÉE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Know..I know. My copyshop corrector guy was MIA 🙁

      Delete
    2. I hope you caught it before mailing. It is lovely.


      หนังออนไลน์

      Delete
  8. Richard3:34 PM

    Which shop did you find the swiss crayons in please? I hope it was in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly they are colored pencils not crayons and secondly they are German not Swiss.
      Try BHV or Boesner for a big selection Richard.

      Delete
  9. Bonnie L3:37 PM

    Charming!

    We love seeing how you work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn S3:44 PM

    Eager to see and use your watercolor bookmarks. Many times I've cut strips from some of the things I've done and I use them as bookmarks too. I know I will thoroughly enjoy yours because I just love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pomme d'amour3:48 PM

    When are you going to start selling more original watercolors so i can frame for my wall?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely. Is it my eyes or is the second "r" in "rentree" missing?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great illustrations. Sorry to have missed you in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally charming....even the part about losing a sketch!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you