Monday, February 23, 2009

Paris/New York

The Paris Boulangerie, original art, 9" x 11"
Yesterday I went to the absolute last day of the exhibit, Paris/New York: Design Fashion Culture 1925-1940 at the Museum of the City of New York...
Why is it you always wait till the very last day to go to these exhibits? The landing of the grand liner, the Normandie in 1936 was cause for much celebration in New York. "The exhibit explores not only architecture and design, but also film, fashion, and the performing arts. Styles from Art Deco to neo-romanticism are examined along with the work of such legendary figures as Helena Rubinstein, Coco Chanel, Salvador Dali­­, and Josephine Baker...The exhibition brings together never-before-exhibited drawings, furnishings, decorative objects, costumes, photographs, posters, and films"...bla bla bla etc. Here's a fab gown Coco Chanel designed for an American on board... Salvator Dali was on board as well! This rakish hat was specially designed as a homage to the Normandie by Stetson...
Meanwhile back in Paris, American dancer Josephine Baker was all the rage.
Parisiens were hot for her...
And she's still an icon for the "Jazz Age".
Plus American architecture also made a hit across the pond..
All our sky scrapers (gratte ciel) made a big dent.
Look at early days at Rockefeller Center! No ice skating back then.
What do you think of these '40s shoes?
Should Manola and Jimmy take note?
We still don't have a decent boulangerie either :(
Are you a fan of French Deco?
Bonne Journee!

20 comments:

  1. I wish I had come to this exhibition! And when you talk about fashion, we always name Chanel. I would like to wear the second shoes in the last picture. I should ask to Christian Louboutin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:57 AM

    Enfin!!!
    a Paris CHAT...I thought it would never happen :O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:00 AM

    Looks like a terrific exhibit!
    We tend not to think about New York's influence on Paris...
    Lucky you to get to it, even if the last day.
    I'm the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:08 AM

    there needs to be a new movie about Josaphine Baker.
    What a gal.
    LOVE this!
    xxAnnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:24 PM

    I love the beige shoes and love art deco and the little dog's red coat.
    Jill xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lily looks gorgeous in your painting!!!!!!:-))))
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:45 PM

    The shoes are devine and whilst Manolo and Jimmy should take note wouldn't it be nice if the High St would also take inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love vintage art and posters, especially ones having to do with Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:44 PM

    I'm crazy about French Deco!
    Have you ever seen the Netherland Plaza hotel in Cincinnati?
    Actually, I like all Deco.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just blog your blog. Have you seen Josephine Baker's Chateau--Chateau Milandes? We stayed two years in a row in a gite within walking distance of her former home. It was delightful, her music playing as you walked through the home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:43 PM

    I love Art Deco as you know. I've been artist-in-residence for the Art Deco Society of California for 24 years now. I'll be curating an exhibition on Art Deco here this summer. I love your watercolors and look forward each day to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a fun exhibit. And this is another cool painting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I found you! I have one of your paintings my mom gave me a while ago. It sits in my work room and I dream of being there every morning. It's a Laduree one. You do amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All this is very nice; an fascinating period! But... what I like the most is the piece of art on top! Really charming!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun post, CArol, and wonderful watercolor! Just finished with work for the day and this is a good escape. I thought of you when I saw the orchid show at the Botanical gardens in NY is coming up--I'm jealous you're there! ;))

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving this new series! Oooooh I sooooo like the the Rock Center without the rink... that rink is too small to do much on anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8:38 PM

    We do too! (dream of paris, that is!)
    Just found your blog - it's great.

    Ciao,
    mitch

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your blog; the paintings, the photos ,the information etc it's all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Coco Chanel frock...very fetching. And Josephine Baker--what a woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I HAVE TO HAVE those shoes, I love them.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you