Thursday, February 05, 2015

February rose tea cup, Au Nom de la Rose, Corey Amaro

There's a story behind February's rose tea cup like there's a story behind every Paris Sketch.


I once fell madly in love with... a teacup. I'd seen it on Corey Amaro's blog, Tongue in Cheek. Corey lives in Provence with her French husband en famille. If you haven't visited you must. We became internet friends as happens. I have Corey to thank for daring me to start Parisbreakfasts back in 2006. Corey's eye for antiques and brocantes cannot be topped. I'm sure I fell in love with any number of treasures on her blog...a rabbit tureen is one I remember vividly. We decided to meet up in Paris in 2007 and I begged, turned somersaults, you name it, for Corey to bring along the rose teacup so I could paint it. And paint it I did many times over.

Naturally visits were required to flower shop chain Au Nom de la Rose. I'm still visiting, this week for souvenirs to put in your Sketch letter envelopes.

Back then I needed the right companions for still life setups with the rose teacup.

I'm not even a fan of rose-flavored teas or syrups.

No matter. They are pretty to paint.

That's what counts when you're painting still lives.
So many jars of rose petal tea...
Ridiculous really...

This was my best tea cup rendition I think and became February's letter with a few additions like the monogrammed ribbon.

While I'm at it I'm mad for rose petals.

The color variations are wonderful to paint.
*Always mention your purchase at Au Nom de la Rose is a gift(cadeaux). They will fill the bag with loose rose petals and a stray rose to boot.
I looked high and low for another rose teacup but never found the right one, much like Cinderella's suitor.

As a consolation for my obsession, Corey surprised me with a charming rose demi-tasse cup found at the weekend flea, Porte de Vanves. It's one of the few things I brought over with me when I left New York for Paris.
Merci Beaucoup Corey!

28 comments:

  1. love the delicate pinks you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your delicately painted tea cups, I loved all the beautiful shades of pink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She knows you well!I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply the yummiest color fest ever! I'm not a fan of rose flavors either but who cares about flavor when there is such a feast for the eye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat roses and I don't own anything pink but it's a fun color to play with.

      Delete
  5. Andy and Diane9:14 AM

    Beautiful beautiful post!
    Merci

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, your rosy tea cup is lovely, in shape and decoration. I like the way in which you've adapted its rosy arrangements in your watercolor paintings, using the original as a starting point.

    I do agree with you about the taste of roses. And about how individual petals are very akin to watercolor effects.

    Tongue in Cheek is a beautiful site to visit. Thank you for the link.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonnie L9:59 AM

    Carol, these watercolors are so beautiful to look at. I recently re subscribed for another year of Paris Sketch Letters so I am incredibly pleased to see your February letter. Can't wait for it to arrive! Your letters always make my day!
    That glass tea pot filled with rose buds looks absolutely irresistible! I can imagine sitting in a cafe in Paris, drinking that tea, and staring mesmerized at that pot for hours...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post - I am still a pink/rose girl. btw, when I posted this week I thought of you and bear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful visual story and an interesting bit of history! I love rose imagery, roses, petals. I am also absolutely convinced that rose fragrance can never be adequately replicated...I prefer the fragrance of the real thing; this came up very coincidentally this morning as I had to use hotel lotion with a strong imitation rose fragrance. My dream in to be in Provence for the lavender harvest and also to shop the flea markets! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Giddy with excitement about the February letter that will be in my mailbox this month. It will be the perfect valentine!
    The rose tea cups are delights, and your watercolors of each are exquisite, Carol. What wonderful talent you share with your readers. Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathryn DM1:14 PM

    the glass teapot with infuser is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. we walked down a nearby street and were blown away by a tiny flower shop that had rose petals strewn on the sidewalk outside the entrance. We went in and were enchanted by the delicate, unusual little bouquets of roses, stylized in their vases, stems wrapped in ribbon that matched the color of the Rose. And the aroma of the roses permeated everything. That was the first shop of Au Nom de la Rose. There is a chain of them now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, I had the same experience. Just happened upon that sliver of a shop while in Paris some years ago. Now they are a chain. Not surprising! Sweet memory. Merci!

      Delete
  13. Nina G1:17 PM

    I always go to the wonderful, BEAUTIFUL French village in Normandie: Veules les Roses. Roses are Everywhere..every house has them, the streets are full of them and then all roads lead down to the sea..magical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. as I sit in my dining room, looking out at the crystal encrusted trees amid two feet of snow, your paintings enchant and transport the beholder. Incredible! Thank you for sharing your gifts

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic.!!! Love all the roses!!,

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a charming post. Are you still selling your work on Etsy? I love these charming watercolor works.

    I have been to Au Nom de la Rose, near St. Suplice ... I used to buy the Cordon Blue Rose Petal jam in NYC and absolutely loved it.

    Karen in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the Sketch letters these days Karen. US customs makes shipping a pain.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful watercolors, Carol. Nice to see so many!
    I like the opening photos of the roses and all of that gorgeous sunshine! Could use some of that right about now..........

    ReplyDelete
  18. Clarity Artists12:18 AM

    Awesomeness in your writing, artwork, and photography. Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a perfect Paris breakfast.
    So filled with my favorite things,
    teacups, marvelous dolls and
    scrumptious crepes~ I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to see you still have the teacup, saucer and photos of the rose adventure we had. May it sweeten your days. The other teacup (Haviland) you loved of mine was one of the first antiques I ever bought, I was 13 years old, that is why I didn't want to let you keep it :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Honestly, you are a genius. You truly are, Carol. Of color, skill, and of the moment. Just magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful post!

    Not sure if I missed one of your posts, but wondering if you made it to the exhibit at Musée du Luxembourg....ends Feb 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Corey and Carol...two fabulous women that blog! I love the teacup story.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you