Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Paris Silhouettes

The black and white cut out silhouette has been around for a long time in French culture.
 
Even newspapers used cutouts to spread the news as well as theatres.
 
The French waiter is a walking silhouette with his classic apron and black bowtie.
 
The little black dress, another icon we can thank Chanel and the French for.
 
Could the constantly rainy weather in Paris be a factor in the profusion of silhouettes I keep seeing?
 
The parapluie/umbrella makes the loveliest of shapes that's for sure.
 
When ever hip store Merci did an homage to NYC MOMA's museum gift shop they featured these umbrellas, even if you CAN leave the house in New York without one...unlike Paris.
 
French children book characters Ernest and Celestine make perfect silhouettes plus they're waving umbrellas. Only in France.
 
I was pleased to see Conforma, an appliance store full of fanciful silhouettes for Christmas.
 
Do deer need headphones?
 
Evidently.
 
Dancing on the tabletop in silhouette.
 

A silhouette can be 'read' across the street.
 
Or on your breakfast coffee bowl.
 
See! Right and left you'll run into silhouettes in Paris. Just get up and go to your balcony.
 

17 comments:

  1. Oh I love all the umbrella ones but especially the one with the Eiffel tower in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post! Amazing finds - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to Ernest et Celestine (les coulisses is cool). I wonder how the film will be received in France. It is different from the books, they're quieter, gentler, & simpler, which I love. The silhouettes are cool & when in Paris, I can't stop looking at those balconies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way cool, Carol. Ernest & Celestine! Super Adorbs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun and fanciful as always..need to one yr go into Mtl at Christmas and see what we have too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super collection, Carol. You have a great eye for detail! Even if it rains in Seattle at least as often as in Paris, I never see a silhouette or an umbrella, for that matter. Dommage... Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, you really outdid yourself!
    My favorite is the waiter with his "duck walk," but they are all great; the colors & the B&Ws.
    Really great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun post Carol. I really love these posts when you pull such disparate images and places together. Pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, you've given us such beautiful collection of silhouettes in this post. What a wonderful eye you have!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara Lillian10:55 AM

    I've always loved the black silhouettes. I was at a Christmas market last weekend and there was an artist from Poland making silhouettes by just tearing the paper. I wish I'd bought the one he did of me, but as usual Mr France had wondered off & I didn't have any cash left, naturally he didn't take cards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dommage but you will always remember it!

      Delete
  11. Rosemary Flannery11:17 AM

    Wonderful Carol! love it. And love the angel feeding the bird in the balcony grillwork - where is that exactly?
    Also, did you know you could have a silhouette of your profile cut for you at the Place du Tertre in Montmartre? they even give a special price for students.
    all the best,
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...the angel expert.
      In Fountainbleau upstairs at Patisserie Frederic Cassel (having an outrageous lunch when we worked on his catalog).

      Delete
  12. I love when you help open my eyes to things I'm used to seeing but take for granted, Carol. Yep, can't believe have a balcony like this too and hadn't even thought about it. Merci xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magnifique
    J’adore !!!
    kind regards
    Coco Jobard

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jill Mad About Macarons4:15 AM

    I love when you help open my eyes to things I'm used to seeing but take for granted, Carol. Yep, can't believe have a balcony like this too and hadn't even thought about it. Merci xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. La Petite Robe Noir, my favourite scent . Got some for my birthday this year ♥ Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you