![]() |
| WATERCOLOR PORTRAIT |
THANK YOU Victor Hugo ๐
As part of the apartment rental interview process, I was tested on French ๐ซ๐ท history. (Did I know the architect of the building, etc).
“It looks like JEAN VAL JEAN (of Les Miserable) climbed over that wall!”
That basically clenched the deal for my little chambre de bonne (maid’s room).
Sunday morning I ran over to MAISON DE VICTOR HUGO to see an exhibit of drawings ✍️ by Victor Hugo.
The new exhibition features a hundred of Hugo‘s drawings of mysterious medieval buildings, dungeons,
Hugo’s free inventiveness with materials and imaginative gestures give them a contemporary feel unlike any other artwork of his time.
See more from this video at the Tate in London last year.
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME was originally titled, NOTRE DAME DE PARIS. The 12th century church was in a state of terrible disrepair, about to be demolished. It became the main character in his book ๐ Hugo wanted it saved. His wildly popular book brought Notre Dame to everyone’s attention.
Along comes Eugรจne Viollet-le-Duc, master, genius restorer of iconic French monuments, like Carcassonne and Saint-Chapelle, Mont Saint Michel, Saint-Denis.
Who better could do justice to Notre Dame than Viollet-le-Duc?
Obsessed with Medieval design, Viollet-le-Duc (2 minutes in French) had a tendency to Medievalize monuments he restored, much to the chagrin of many of his critics.
And chimera were his Medieval addition to Notre Dame. Who knew? It took Viollet-le-Duc 20-25 years, starting in 1844 and finishing around 1864–1870.
And the recently-rebuilt spire was his addition as well.
Turning Victor Hugo into a kind of gargoyle, with Notre Dame growing out of his head. I don’t know the name of the sculpter.
The MAISON DE VICTOR HUGO is a small, intimate museum with a lovely garden cafe ☕️ at 6, Place du Vosges.
Visit if you haven’t or go again for the drawings ✍️
Another long, shaggy dog story I’m afraid ☺️






























Loved learning about this. I had no idea.
ReplyDeleteHe was a really remarkable fellow, wasn't he!
ReplyDeleteVictor Hugo was indeed a multi-genius.
DeleteLove the serendipity of this post
ReplyDeleteMy whole life is serendipitous! ๐
DeleteWell, I'd be screwed if I was interviewing for an apartment in Paris! I read a lot, but not enough of the French classics!
ReplyDeleteStart studying ๐
DeleteBut everyone knows ‘LES MISERABLES’
Admittedly my proprietor is eccentric.
Thank you! Fascinating
ReplyDeleteThank you! For letting me know ๐ฅฐ
DeleteThanks for the lesson covering art, history, literature, and architecture. I feel smarter already. Great tie ins.
ReplyDeleteThey say, ‘Everything is connected’.
DeleteComing home from the museum, I remembered my connection to Victor Hugo, along with loving ❤️ his drawings for years.
Love your always informative long shaggy dog stories...you have a wonderful ability to connect all of the Parisian dots. Merci.
ReplyDeletethank You?
DeleteGive me dots and I will connect them.
Lauren Elkin once told me that I ‘Trope’.
Fabulous posting, Carol. Merci!
ReplyDeleteThank you ❤️
DeleteLove this post and especially learning how you clinched the deal in your chamber!
ReplyDelete☺️ I was lucky ๐ to say the least.
DeleteWho knew Hugo was so multi-talented?
ReplyDeleteVictor Hugo was banished from France for his controversial political views to first Guernsey and then Jersey Island for 19 years, so he had lots of time on his hands to make drawings ✍️
DeleteInformative...I am embarrassed to say that didn't know about his art. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteDon’t be embarrassed.
DeleteIt’s only in the past 15 - 20 years his drawings have come to light.
And more recently shows in London and elsewhere highlighting his innovative ink drawings.
Great post! Thank you so much for enlightening us as always.
ReplyDeleteYou’re welcome. It’s fun research for me too - all talented, extraordinary people.
DeleteI love how I learn something new from your posts almost every time. I found Hugo's drawings fascinating - are they permanently there? I love that museum but don't remember them.
ReplyDeleteThis is a special exhibition on till November Suki, but there are always some drawings on view and books in their shop.
DeleteThe Bnf library has very nice small booklets of Hugo’s drawings.
I love getting a history lesson with my morning coffee! Thank you Carol!
ReplyDeleteHistory, literature, architecture, drawing…what’s left?
DeleteDance…theater. And MUSIC ๐ต
Great post today AWA
ReplyDeleteFascinating! Merci! I took college students to the Maison Victor Hugo once and they loved it. They knew all about "Les Miserables," thanks mostly to the musical of course!
ReplyDeleteAnd I love that your "test" included knowing the architect of the building you live in!
ReplyDelete