Monday, August 10, 2026

Bibliothèque BnF Richelieu 📚

 

Saturday I finally made it to Bibliothèque BnF Richelieu.

It only took me 3 years since the renovation was completed in 2023.
Do not ask me 

Why I didn’t get there sooner.

Sometimes  I miss the boat 🛥️ ROYALLY 👑 

It was HOT 🥵 on Saturday so I went inside the oval reading room,

And joined others cooling off.

Yes, drinks are allowed! 

These Baroque Victorian pillers or whatever they are…

Provide cool air = AC !

SALLE CLIMATIZÉ! 

The library is the oldest and largest in Europe.
An interior view of the reading room plan by Étienne-
Louis Boullée, 1785.

A satirical drawing of the library by Gustave Doré, 1854. 

I would love to know how one gets to sit at the proper study tables with the green glass reading lamps. 
Have you been to BnF Richelieu library 📚 ?

Of course I completely missed la piece de resistance, the Musée one flight up - 
le Galerie Mazarin.

I returned early Sunday morning.

In total, the Richelieu site holds 22 million objects and documents (of 40 million total in the library’s collections) dating from antiquity to the present day. The prints and photographs collection alone numbers 15 million” from Elaine Sciolino’s NYTimes article.
Thank you Marge ❤️

Displaying 900 objects.

At a time

From 

The huge 

Collection 

Of rare treasures,

They rotate

At least 2 times a year.

At last, the grand Galerie Mazarin with it’s painted vaulted ceilings. Originally naked figures, but the next generation came along and quickly covered them in scarves 🧣 
So French 👌

Even Edith Piaf’s little black dress is here.

Victor Hugo donated all his manuscripts and drawings ✍️ to the library.


Precious illustrated books.

A terrific gift shop on the ground floor.

I should have read the guide book 📕 before writing this, but did not 🤷‍♀️
Please forgive 🙏 
I could not resist the bee 🐝 facsimile earrings(15€)

The Library entrance is at 8, rue Vivienne.
Get an ice cream 🍦

Le Grand Colbert is across the street for lunch. 
Get Paris letters & watercolors in your mailbox 📮 at ETSY.
Then walk back through Palais Royale.


24 comments:

  1. Elda S.9:11 AM

    It looks like a welcoming place to work, research, write, think. I love it. Beautiful space . Reminds me of the Library of Congress Reading Room
    and the British Museum Reading Room. Such a beautiful space. Thank you for posting.👏🏻🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:09 PM

      Oh The British museum reading room - I used to go there all the time. A wonderful place to see drawings etc.

      Delete
  2. Lynne Inman-Hoffert9:14 AM

    Kudos to the Parisians. Of course they make a/c units look elegant!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:54 AM

    Carol, here's a link to the NY Times article by Elaine Scioline after the re-opening: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/14/arts/design/french-national-library-reopens.html?unlocked_article_code=1.4VA.lQTA.rILP6Wq6vxA0&smid=url-share
    Enjoy your next visit! Marge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:52 AM

      Perfect!
      THANK YOU MARGE 🙏

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:58 PM

      Excellent NYTImes article MARGE 👍

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Yes, I studied in this library in 1966. JYA in Paris. It was usually to far from Sorbonne for casual reading. 2nd floor was not open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:54 AM

      I used to go there quite often before they closed for renovations.
      I believe they offer a year’s unlimited access reading/culture pass for 24€

      Delete
  5. Thanks you soooo much for bringing us into this treasure. What a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:11 PM

      So many treasures in Paris to discover 🔍

      Delete
  6. Bonnie L11:26 AM

    Beautiful, Carol! What an extraordinary building! That would be my home-away-from-home when the canicule becomes unbearable. A book and a drink…ahhh. Glad you found the museum. So many trésors. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:12 PM

      What a surprise. And such a relaxed atmosphere.

      Delete
  7. joan iaconetti12:18 PM

    If you haven't already covered the SORBONNE, which is open to the public during patrimony days in September, please do so. I was absolutely blown away by its gorgeous lecture halls, which are decorated like palaces or find museums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:45 PM

      Thank you Joan,
      I haven’t really explored the Sorbonne.
      Good idea 👍

      Delete
  8. Anonymous1:05 PM

    This is so beautiful! I will have to put it on my list of places to go! Did they have large computer areas for people to use like the libraries in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:30 PM

      I don’t know anything about the computer facilities. Certainly for finding books, research.

      Delete
  9. Sukicart3:13 PM

    I absolutely loved this library as it is so stunning and thought the way they disguised the AC was very clever. I missed the museum so may have to return as it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:28 PM

      You must go back for the museum Suki. It is exceptional. Everything about it is knock your socks off outstanding. And it’s not just French objects are all.
      Rare, dazzling objects from 3 B.C. I will definitely be going back.

      Delete
  10. Anonymous3:32 PM

    What a stunning library ! Thanks for the visual guide ! We’re on our way …

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:44 PM

    This library looks absolutely amazing. I would go there often if I lived in Paris. So glad you discovered it Carol. I really enjoyed all the photos and love your bee earrings. -Suzanne P.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:06 PM

    We visited a few years ago in February at the recommendation of Oliver Gee and found it outstanding from the gorgeous oval reading room to the amazing upstairs collections. And another plus - entry is free!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:43 AM

    Explore one of the most beautiful galleries in Paris, the Mazarin Gallery from 1646. This is one of the few examples of a baroque gallery still preserved in France. All while admiring the BF collections

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dee Ann3:11 AM

    We visited last Fall….just the lower floor….plan to go upstairs next trip.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you