pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Les Parasols de Deauville πŸ–️

 


Last Friday I went back to Deauville.


Home of the iconic beach umbrellas πŸ–️
Since then 

I took a deep dive 

Into Parasol histoire.

The Deauville iconic beach umbrella

Is an offspring 

Of the individual Asian parasols of the ‘Roaring Twenties’.

Don’t you love ❤️ these old picture postcards?

In 1845 stripped parasols ⛱️ were de rigueur 

In 1950 Deauville decided to switch to heavy canvas parasols in solid primary colors: red, blue, yellow, green, orange. 

450 parasols ⛱️ are specially made in a factory behind the boardwalk.

This is the”Deauville Knot” - the ‘Skirt’ part that becomes a changing room or shade from the sun 🌞 
You can rent a parasol by the day, week or season reasonably.


Sister city, Trouville-sur-mer, still has the old style striped parasols ⛱️ 

Deauville tourist office, by the yacht basin, has bucket hats, small trays, espadrilles, pillows made from the parasol canvas. It has AC (Salle ClimatizΓ©). 
A cool place to recover before catching the train 🚊 home.

I spotted these parasol cookies πŸͺ

I was feeling pretty hot πŸ₯΅ though Deauville is 10 degrees cooler than Paris.
After some ice cream 🍨 

I decided to buy a swim suit & cap on the boardwalk and take a refreshing dip in the salt water public pool 🏊🏽‍♀️ at La Piscine Olympique.


After the pool I plunked myself down on the boardwalk/Les Planches to paint.

I brought along my watercolor box.

Deauville PARASOLS watercolors are up  on Etsy.

And painted parasols till it was time to catch the 5:17 🚊 back to Paris Gare Saint-Lazare. Deauville is 2hrs17 minutes from Paris.
Are you ready?

Watch M.Hulot’s Holiday πŸŽ₯ to put you in a vacation mood.
I will go back on the Thursday. I missed seeing the Summer exhibition Raoul Dufy at Les Franciscaines.


32 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:45 AM

    Merci, Carol, pour ces jolies coleurs! But I wonder—what is the thing that is tied around the umbrellas in the Deauville knot? A towel? An umbrella cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:00 AM

      That is the ‘skirt’ that becomes a place to change or just relax on a deckchair. It’s called, THE DEAUVILLE KNOT ⛱️

      Delete
  2. Shirley L.9:45 AM

    Hi Carol. We were supposed to be in Deauville this week for Horse racing/sales. Sadly we couldn't make it as too much going on here at home. Looks so beautiful!
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:02 AM

      I was thinking of you Shirley, when I saw the Deauville polo horses 🐎 parading through the town on Instagram today.

      Delete
  3. Bonnie L11:26 AM

    Quintessential summer, Carol❣️ Most of us grew up experiencing summers at the beach. This brings up fond memories. What a smarty you are buying a suit & cap to swim at the pool! Thank you for taking us along with you to the beach. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:52 PM

      Happy to share the beach any time πŸ–️. My favorite place from childhood 🐚

      Delete
  4. Dee Ann11:28 AM

    Love your watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:53 PM

      Thank you Dee Ann ❤️

      Delete
  5. Sukicart12:24 PM

    I love your umbrella watercolors but prefer the stripes as they always make me think of the sea and summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:53 PM

      I agree Suki… I was thinking the same thing. Stipes are iconic for the seaside 🌊

      Delete
  6. What a glorious way to spend the day and you accomplished so much. Not only painting and swimming, eating ice cream, observing, but actually finding a swimsuit to buy...that can be quite a trick. Glad you shared the info about the umbrellas and their drop down skirts. So smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:56 PM

      When you put it like that…it does seem a lot. Nice to feel free to follow your impulses at the seashore. The beaches are Very wide on the CotΓ© Fleurie. You have to walk for ages to get to the ocean 🌊 Maybe Thursday I will get my feed in the sand…

      Delete
  7. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Beautiful, charming, serene post.......merci, Carol!! Patty, Mpls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:58 PM

      Thank you Patty ❤️ I have visited Deauville quite a few times but I never looked up it’s picturesque history. More to come πŸ‘

      Delete
  8. Margie2:19 PM

    Love these beach and parasol photos! Thank you, looking forward to seeing them on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:59 PM

      Thank you Margie ❤️ The watercolors are up on Etsy now.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous2:36 PM

    One of your best ever-- and I love them all! Thank you for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:00 PM

      Thank you! So nice of you to say so πŸ™ ❤️ πŸ–️

      Delete
  10. Anonymous2:58 PM

    I love all your watercolors - especially the one of the beach in Trouville. So colorful and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:01 PM

      Thank you ❤️ The TROUVILLE stripped umbrellas are charming.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous3:23 PM

    Love all the umbrellas. Great idea. LYNNE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:02 PM

      Thank you Lynne ❤️ I must rent one someday for the true experience ⛱️

      Delete
  12. Alaina Warren Zachary4:53 PM

    GLORIOUS!!!! Made me want to shop the gift shop but I could not find the way. Such radiance! Xoxoxoxooxoxxo from NM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:29 PM

      The Deauville tourism shop is a little hidden, but has the most sophisticated gifts I have seen in a French tourism office. I think because of Deauville’s connection with the ⭐️ movie πŸŽ₯ industry. And Coco Chanel opened her first shop there.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous5:04 PM

    That swimming pool!!! A spontaneous swim. I would have never left it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:22 PM

      I did not want to leave the pool 🏊🏽‍♀️ but they close btwn 2 - 3. You can rent a towel(tapis) and bathing cap etc. there. Very convenient. Most French municipal pools have vending machines with everything you need to swim πŸ‘

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:26 AM

      A Spontaneous swim 🏊🏽‍♀️
      I was going to bring my suit & decided not to 🀷‍♀️ Ha!

      Delete
  14. Anonymous5:10 PM

    My husband and I stopped in Deauville and Trouville-sur-mer a few years ago, it was dreamy. Love your umbrellas, they capture it beautifully.
    Nancy H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:25 PM

      Thank you Nancy H. I used to think Deauville was snobby but now I discovered it is steeped in history - one of the early bathing (balinaire) places Parisians went to starting in the 1800s. The Anglo-Normand architecture is superb.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:31 AM

      I heard many languages spoken - Swedish, Portuguese, German…not much English. Not even included in many travel guides like STEVE RICKS.
      It’s a well-kept secret.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous1:38 AM

    Umbrellas - Charming
    AWA Catering

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:33 PM

    I love the postcards! Fun to see the history, great to see your watercolors, love the stripes, your art- just beautiful. Your day sounds heavenly, thanks for sharing, xo, Virginia

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you