Sunday, March 26, 2023

Fika, Fondation Cartier-Bresson, Meert, Elliot Erwitt

 


This morning I woke up an hour late

The birds outside started singing an hour late at 6:30 am
Who loves Day Light Saving? ☹️

Still I don’t mind seeing tulips arrive in the marché 
Or Easter bunnies showing up in candy shop windows
On Friday I met Swedish photographer Solli Kanani for day of photography. We had open shrimp sandwiches and Swedish green marzipan Princess cake at Fika in the Institute Suedois in the Marais. Have you been? While we were there the sun 🌞  came out, there was a sudden downpour and then overcast skies = typical Paris weather.
Then we went to Fondation Cartier-Bresson. That’s Solli on the right.
To see the new Paul Strand show
And downstairs in the tunnel gallery a combo-exhibit of New York street photographer Helen Levitt 
And Henri Cartier-Bresson pictures from Mexico. Lewitt came to know Bresson because she printed his pictures for him, something he never liked doing. Once you see an iconic C-B picture it is burned into your brain and you can’t forget it.
Around the corner from the Fondation is Meert, a favorite candy shop from Lille.
I insisted we go in. We just browsed…
Solli and I visited the original Lille tea salon a while back
Tasting a De Gaulle gaufre is a must-do at one time or another in your life. De Gaulle was born in Lille and these were his favorite cookie. 
De Gaulle's driver was sent from the Elysees Palace to fetch a dozen weekly. By the way Solli says it was ‘International Waffle Day’ yesterday. The Swedish are up on these things…
Walking in the Marais we passed a new Patrick Roger shop. A look inside at the new Easter designs is essential. We browsed…
I’ve been wanting to make moules marinières. Yesterday at Marché Maubert, the poissoniere told me the season is over ☹️ Moule season is from July to January. But Patrick Roger has them now…in chocolate. 
This week I’ve already eaten THREE (small, lait) Lindt Bunnies and it isn’t even that close to Easter 😊
There was a new Spring outdoor show of photos by  StephanieDelpon at Hôtel de Ville 
I saw this photo in the Metro and the front of buses. I suggested we go see the Elliot Erwitt show at musee Maillol across town. Solli got on a bike and I took the Metro.
There is no better cure for the Winter blahs 
Then an exhibit of Elliot Erwitt in my opinion. 
You’ve seen many of these delightful images before and maybe didn’t know the name of the photographer.


I love how Erwitt contrasts these big, open spaces with small figures in this beach series.
Erwitt created many series and many books. Dogs, especially, in all their whimsey, interest him. 
Though Erwitt was born in Paris and moved to Italy, we think of him as a New Yorker. He helped start Magnum, the first group to protect photographers and their work. He is 94 and still creating 👏
Outside the sun came out briefly
Parisians were sitting in cafes
Are you going to the Vermeer show in Amsterdam? 
More Easter chocolate near the musee Maillol just in case you visit.
Thank you for reading Parisbreakfast 🎁 Gift yourself and others Parisbreakfast letters 💌, maps and watercolors🎨 in my Etsy shop




28 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:42 AM

    You are a trésor for sending all those signs of Spring! How delightful to read, look at your photos and drawings, and ogle the candies! 🙏🏻👏🏻🙂 Dorrance

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious post! That shrimp sandwich looks really tasty! You and Solli covered a lot of ground. Such a great day to share with a friend. Thank you for sharing with us, your friends near and far!🗼❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:06 AM

      You’re welcome Ga 😊

      Delete
  3. Good afternoon! Thank you for the lovely delicious share!💕I do enjoy your adventures...all of it...candies..food...photos..I'm a bird lover too. Your inner self knew you needed that extra half hour. Cheers lovely Carol ☕🌷💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:05 AM

      My inner clock ⏰ is not ready for day light savings

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:14 AM

    At 88, I can no longer travel, and will never set my feet wandering again the beloved streets of Paris. Thank you for doing it for me. And seeing for me, far more than I would have done for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:07 AM

      I am happy to share with you 😊❤️

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:04 AM

    Wonderful to see the focus on the lovely side of the city rather on the piles of trash. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:08 AM

    What a yummy post!
    Please tell me what the green cake is?
    NJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:10 AM

      The Swedish green marzipan ‘Princess’ cake

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:20 AM

    What an action packed post!! You two really made it around the city!! You on the Metro and Solli on her bike...who got their first?😆. I love the Vermeer on the wall. No one does Easter better than the French with their amazing chocolate creations!!! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:33 AM

      Solli got there first but we both have lateness genes built in. Besides I had to take 2 Metros and do some map routing…

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Please tell me what the one on the right is? NJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous10:41 AM

      That is Swedish Semla - big cream puffy desserts

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:22 AM

      I love big puffy, creamy things NJ

      Delete
  9. Anonymous10:50 AM

    No rain in LA,
    Only sunshine
    Kirk H

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bobbye Trotter11:13 AM

    I can’t get the Helen Levitt photo of the little girl carrying a basket out of my mind. She’s so young but so intent on where she’s going. I’m assuming she’s working at something but I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:11 PM

      Yes sadly probably child labor. Both Levitt & Cartier-Bresson were shooting poor laborers.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous12:02 PM

    Would love to visit the Vermeer exhibit but read it is sold out?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bonnie L1:01 PM

    Ah spring…tulips, happy tweeting birdies, Easter candy…my favorite season. Why does it have to be marred by DST??

    What a lovely action packed day you and Solli had! Yummy Swedish food and fabulous photo exhibits. You are right, many of those photos are instantly recognizable.

    Keep those Easter Candy photos coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photos of photos and your always insightful background info! Reminding me I have so much more to see in Paris! Thanks for taking me on a little trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:20 PM

      Thanks Cindy. Most of the time it’s impossible to shoot photos in the galleries - the multi-reflections are a pain. Still I want to remember an image…

      Delete
    2. Anonymous1:21 PM

      You did a lot when you were in Paris!
      Someone said recently,
      “Do something everyday in Paris”.
      I am trying to remember that.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the cheerful day in Paris - I look forward to your Easter chocolate pictures every year. Patrick Roger is a favorite. I still have a Lindt Bunny (uneaten) from last Easter - wonder if it's still any good. Maybe I'll test an ear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:34 PM

      Really Suki! You could go on the Guinness Book of Records! 👍 spectacular 👏👏👏

      Delete
  15. Anonymous3:53 PM

    I lov all the windows with the chocolate designs Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that umbrella installation and oh, your bunny aquarelle is perfect. I'd kill to get to the Vermeer. Oh, well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous2:59 AM

      Umbrellas upside down are such a fun visual. Solli is on the train this minute anoit to arrive in Amsterdam for the Vermeer. What an adventure !

      Delete

Love hearing from you