Sunday, May 29, 2022

How I became Parisbreakfasts, Hotel Mirande


  People often ask me how come I moved to Paris. Was it my secret dream? And how did I become Parisbreakfasts? I left NYC because of breakfast☕️🥐 

In 2005 I went to a watercolor workshop in Provence.  Everyday they took us to a different hilltop town to paint. While everyone else was joyously painting the landscape, 
I would joyously find a cafe, 
Order a petit dejeuner ☕️🥐
And paint it on site. A habit was formed. 
When I got back to Paris, after the workshop, I ran around ordering 2-3 cafe petit dejeuners every morning, setting up still lives. This last trip in Provence I thought I’d commemorate the habit and find a grand breakfast like I did in Cannes at the Carlton
I have a feeling I may never find another breakfast the Carlton—a jam-lovers dream.
Still I fell in instantly love ❤️ with pictures of Hotel La Mirande’s silvery coffee pot. It doesn’t take much...
Hotel La Mirande is certainly the grandest hotel in Avignon. But as a non-hotel resident I may not partake of their superb breakfast buffet(30€) malheureusement. 
Relegated to the palm court for coffee (5,50€). 
There are worse places to have a coffee☕️
I made a few doodles onsite.
That gorgeous silver coffee pot did not disappoint. 
On my way out I stopped in La Mirande’s gift shop for a look at their jam jars. Nice bonnets.
Outside a grey cat (also a non-resident of the hotel) was sitting in the middle of the street holding up traffic. That’s how things go in Avignon.
A delivery truck carefully drove around the cat. 
Well that’s the end of a long story. I hope you’re enjoying breakfast as you read this. 
I’m still painting breakfasts 17 years later. I’m awfully glad the ☕️🥐habit stuck. 
A Big Merci to Brit writer 
Viv Groskop of the Guardian, FT + at least 4 books, for giving me a shoutout in her fun and interesting Friday newsletter. You can read and subscribe here.

Shout-out to newsletter subscriber, Carol of Paris Breakfast. Click here for her beautiful watercolour paintings and her mail subscription, Paris in an envelope. So cheering. Wonderful gift idea. 
*You can subscribe in the sidebar.      
🐻🍓🥐☕️Bonne Dimanche PBers☕️🥐🍓🐻

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling us how you became Paris Breakfasts! I love all these breakfast photos and paintings, the sliver coffee pot is lovely and the jam selection is impressive too. Makes me feel like a hot chocolate though, looking at these ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte Puckette4:54 AM

    What a wonderful post!
    Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Kirra cups of anything are so appealing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine DM6:09 AM

    I love all these cups!!
    Love the abandoned unmatched cups waiting to be painted
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So interesting, Never knew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There’s nothing like a French breakfast…a feast for the eyes and taste buds! You capture them so well in your watercolors. So many jams, so little time. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always stunning silverware..tea cups..spoons..jams.My faves maybe ..your aquarelles..that is;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos of Goult and the hotel in Avignon took me back to Provence this morning. I loved reading the story of your breakfast adventures in France.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dorrance9:13 AM

    Your breakfast still lifes are extraordinary, Carol. SO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you love jams, you should visit Jamie Schler’s inn @lifeisafeast , Hotel Diderot, in Chinon. She makes all her own jams, a gazillion varieties! She fills an ancient armoire in the dining room with jam jars. That would make a great watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An armoire full of jam!
    Would I faint on the spot?
    I dream of visiting Christine Ferber in Alsace…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:48 PM

      What a wonderful post, thank you! Maybe my favorite, although it is hard to tell. You absolutely should go to Niedermorschwihr and draw and eat the jam of the famous Christine!

      Delete
  12. MimiCars79:40 AM

    Absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Audrey9:59 AM

    What a wonderful story. You are living the dream for sure and I love your newsletters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Carol, you had me smiling with this post! I feel the same way about breakfast in France. Wherever it can be, inside or outside. That is one of my favorite things to do each and everyday I get to visit. Sitting down with a cup of hot chocolate or a pot of tea, a fresh and warm croissant, and fresh jam, sign me up. The scenery, the people watching, the atmosphere no matter what town, never disappoints. I love this post so much. I’m thrilled for you not just finding a way to enjoy France each time you do this, but for being able to live out your dream there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caroline11:51 AM

    I really enjoyed your history of how you became Paris breakfasts. You have delighted me for several years!
    Rich and I always enjoyed our coffee in France. It was a ritual with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even with the simplest of things -- coffee and a bun of sorts -- they always do it so beautifully! (So do you!) And a very fun post -- I learned something new about you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bruce Herndon1:12 PM

    Carol, Thanks for sharing your history and for continuing to share with us your adventures in Paris and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many thanks for the wonderful posts from Paris. I love to see them, One day I hope to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your breakfast still life aquarelles but they make me so very homesick for Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Phyllis M9:33 PM

    What a delightful story of how Paris Breakfasts came to be! And how we are drawn to the beauty in the detail of the French mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Foodwalker11:25 PM

    Sunday morning ritual:
    Bach, pot of coffee, candle and newspapers. This morning also biscuits with homemade Meyer lemon curd.
    Alas the coffee pot was not silver.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You painted a verbal painting for me Foodwalker.
    I should have everyone send a photo of their favorite Paris breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved this Origin Story!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ORIGIN STORY !
    In entertainment, an origin story is an account or backstory revealing how a character or group of people become a protagonist or antagonist, and it adds to the overall interest and complexity of a narrative, often giving reasons for their intentions. Wikipedia
    backstory, or established background narrative, that informs the identity and motivations of heroes and villains in a comic book or similar fictional work: The superhero's origin story begins with a tragic accident that left him scarred, but also resulted in his supernatural powers

    WOW I did not know

    ReplyDelete
  25. Désirée11:50 AM

    I sure am glad you like breakfasts, beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The cat! The cat is so Cat. No one would dare disturb. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous6:26 PM

    Thank you for sharing as always and love the cat in the street part of your story. So lovely! Always enjoy the petit dejeuner or brunch- it’s about the food and the time of day to enjoy such past times! Thank you 🙏

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you