Saturday, October 26, 2019

Soufflés at Le Recamier

On the last day of PBer Carolyn's Paris trip we met again for lunch. She picked LE RECAMIER. 
I visited Le Recamier a couple of years ago guest of some very kind blog readers. Like an idiot, I thought I'd keep vegetarian and ordered an omelette. Meanwhile my hosts were gobbling up stunning soufflés, speciality of the maison. Meanwhile the waiter thought I'd ordered a 'bavette' (a cut of French steak). No omelette. I ate it and it was lovely. This visit I knew exactly what to order. SOUFFLÉS! 
Carolyn got the chevre (cheese) soufflę. Carolyn is the only person I know who looks good eating while having her picture taken - a rare talent.
We decided the vinaigrette on our salads may be the best We've ever tasted. The waiter revealed it was olive oil, hazelnut oil and lemon. C'est tout. I ran and bought some huile de noisette. Fingers crossed I can figure it out🤞🏼
I ordered the escargot. Not as pretty but out of this world delicious if you're fond of French snails.
Our neighbors had mini starter soufflés.
Behind me on the veranda someone was having this fab sliced-truffled haricot vert salad on top of artichoke hearts? Le Recamier is ne of those places where you want to see what everyone else is eating. Its theater.
We shared a dessert soufflé - Madagascar vanille with red fruit couli.  
I was certain painting
 watercolor soufflés would be easy peasy. Not. After many doodles and much trial and error, 4 days later I figured it out I think. You tell me. LE RECAMIER is a charming place for lunch on 4, rue Recamier, 75007. Just do not order an omelette. Thanks for reading and sharing Paris breakfasts. Subscribe and get letters 💌 sent from Paris every month 📮From Paris with love ❤️ Xxx🥂🐻

25 comments:

  1. Owl's Head8:57 AM

    This looks just grand. My kind of place.
    LOVE the accordion Marie Antoinette letter. Very inventive and beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had soufflé in years. I've put that on my shopping list for ingredients and hazelnut oil. Next time I visit Paris, I will definitely visit Le Recamier! I remember being told in college that I was the only person they knew who looked beautiful with orange can sized curlers in my hair! Lol. That's my claim to fame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn10:10 AM

    Soufflés LOOK heavenly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every bit as good ad it looked Kathryn

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:14 AM

    Some years ago Iwent in a place famous for soufflè in central Paris near Place Vandome . The menu was only souffles from appetizer to dessert ..I had tomatoes and basil to start,one cheese and for dessert one with calvados . I felt so bad after dinner so can I say I hate it now? I do not want to see soufflè anymore !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me thinks you over did it?
      A lot of air in those things

      Delete
  5. She does look lovely!
    I love bavette and have some hazelnut oil:)
    Les soufflés ouvrent l'appétit and your aquarelles are delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...mille merci Monique ❤️💋

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos and watercolors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki N12:36 PM

    Long article but lots of formulas. Let me know how it goes. I'm from the pinch of sugar camp.
    https://www.thekitchn.com/beyond-olive-oil-vinegar-10-more-ways-to-make-a-vinaigrette-202072

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect Vicki
      Just what I need!

      Delete
    2. Vicki N1:46 PM

      According to our dentist subbing lemon juice for vinegar, in moderation, is much better for our teeth, too.

      Delete
  8. I love your watercolor souffles - they really do look good enough to eat. and I love souffles (and escargot).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are joined at the hip Sukie
      Wish I had yr trim hips

      Delete
  9. Lynn S2:44 PM

    Absolutely delicious. Glad you got to go back there and more glad that you shared your fantastic lunch with us. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just ordered hazelnut oil - please post the recipe once you figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a link above from thekitchn.com
      We'll both experiment !

      Delete
  11. I was there last week, and had the mushroom souffle - exquisite!

    Now I need to check my local store to see if I can get hazelnut oil...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warning it is pricy. Even here in Hazelnut land it was almost 8€
      Ouch. Must keep it in the fridge too.

      Delete
  12. Bonelle1:11 AM

    h, Recamier...I remember how we laughed when the waiter put a steak down in front of you instead of an omelette! That was a memorable meal. Your photos make me want to go back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have seen the look on my face 😄

      Delete
  13. Good to know the vinaigrette is made my fav way; with lemon juice not vinegar. Wonderful watercolors, Carol. You’ve mastered the soufflé ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Le Recamier is one of Stephen's and my favorite restaurants when we visit Paris. The souffle photos and most definitely that lovely painting really fed my soul.
    I always look forward to your emails as they never fail but to bring a little bit of Paris to me here in NYC.
    Encore merci,

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you