Sunday, March 10, 2019

Roux! Musee Jean-Jacques Henner, rue Fortuny


My father had red hair, freckles and green eyes. I got his green/hazel color eyes. I wish I'd gotten the rest. ROUX ! is on at MUSEE NATIONAL JEAN-JACQUES HENNER until 20 May. 34, Avenue de Villiers, 75017 Metro stop Malsherbes 

If you're a redhead run see it. If you're a painter, mixing up rousse, apricots, chataignes in watercolor is one of the most fun colors.

You probably never heard of  painter Jean-Jacques Henner (1829-1905). 

A contemporary of Renoir and Jules Charet, he was noted for his use of chiaroscuro and his obsession with pale-skined redheads. The exhibit features 300 pieces.
Including related redhead images like theatre posters of red-heads from the Follies Bergere
 
And a man's chestnut red wig/perruque from the 18th century

Designer SONIA RYKIEL made her own red hair a feature in her collections. Even a red hair coat.

The divine redheaded actress, SARAH BERNHARDT lived just around the corner from the museum at #35, rue Fortuny.

Do not miss walking down one of PARIS' MOST BEAUTIFUL STREETS, rue Fortuny in the 17th.

Formerly residences for wealthy Parisians in the 19th century, the street is filled with magnificent mansions. The architecture makes references to medieval, Renaissance,18th century styles while using contemporary materials like ceramic, bricks and terra-cotta. A too well-kept secret in Paris. Have you been? I had a brief flirtation with going hedhead like my dad, after visiting ROUX! but got some carrots instead. Thanks for reading and sharing Parisbreakfasts. Subscription letters 💌, maps and watercolors are in my Etsy shop. With love💋 from Paris🐻

14 comments:

  1. You nailed her:) You must know Audrey Fleurot:)
    My dad was a ginger with loads of freckles too!!No one does apricots like you..and reds..and..:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that Audrey from Engrenages!
      Love her and she was in the video at the exhibit!
      Too funny your dad was a redhead too!?

      Delete
  2. How wonderful! A real treat in all ways.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margot1:11 PM

    Your posts are inspirational !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the mousy brown hair, but I did get the green eyes. My brother has blond hair and long eyelashes--always the way.

    Carol, I found a copy of your Street Markets book. It is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was mouse brown too.
      Thanks!
      Did you find it on Amazon? Its lurking there

      Delete
  5. Janine1:20 AM

    Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the Redheads post! So interesting and unususual!

    I raised a redhead and it has been quite an experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The Red-Headed League" written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle probably was no help to you...

      Delete
  7. My redheaded mother, who lived for years in Paris, would have loved this exhibit. I love your take on it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane Gabin1:47 AM

    No, I never heard of Henner.
    But yr column reminded me that today is color-my-hair day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gee, wish I had seen this. I too have a “roux” child, and grandchildren! Love that you inspire your readers to get off the beaten-tourist-path and see areas like the 17ème. Red hair would suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane Klares1:36 AM

    I love so much your blog : varié, amusant, intéressant, plein d'esprit ! but I am angry, I never can write any comment !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cindy Williamson8:07 AM

    Love the watercolor of the girl in the red strapless dress - is it for sale? cynthiarieth@gmail.com - I have a watercolor you did of my daughter and I and our two dogs as well as a year of monthly letters!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you